• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got a few plans for maint and upgrades, opinions?

When the OE stuff wears out. No money to cut off a perfectly good working system right now.

Probably use the 3" high flow I've got in the garage and already paid for too.

I'm not in the "Po house", but at the same time can't afford to be wasteful with the money we have. Cutting off a system that has nothing wrong with it (IE rotted out) is just not do-able right now...

Just wait that cat is a POS, and not needed for the 6.5, which was a feel good measure only to appease politicos that haven't a clue, the cat on the 6.5 was borrowed tech from gasser world, except they forgot Diesels don't get hot like gasser and the soot just collects and blocks the core over time, making the vehicle run worse and more polluting over time than if they had just left it off, technology just hadn't caught up yet for the 6.5 era Diesel to be "clean".

If the traps made a difference then the (S/L56/EGR) would not have the exact same opacity test spec as the (F/L65/non-EGR).

Exhaust is an essential upgrade, even in a people hauler, helps keep the coolant temps of engine down especially as cat becomes plugged up, power upgrade, longevity upgrade and slight mpg improvement. If me I'd remove the stock, run the 3", save the stock one for when the aftermarket one had issues.

I suspect the 3:62 final was a special order these normally came with 3:73 or 4:10 on 4x4 , my non EGR C1500 F engine burb with 3:42 has plenty towing power you should be fine.

Had that been a USA truck most probably there would be no EGR engine in it, since you say it's a K2500, is it 6 lug or 8 lugged wheels ?

Many Canada bound/built and vehicles built to be sold in states like the peoples republic of Kalifornia mandated the addition of the EGR stuff, even though it took until the advent of modern common rail Diesel with DPF & Urea to have anything more than visible reductions from the tailpipe.

This despite the situation that it takes almost 2x the fuel as it once did to get down the road, mpg has really suffered in the newer DPF'd trucks with quest for "clean" exhaust, so IMO jury is still out whether or not we really solved anything with smog equipment on a Diesel, seems to me burning more fuel overall is just as bad as "sooty" emissions without DPFs or soot traps.

As far as PCM goes, it has to be reflashed in the OBD-II, adding a TM only for your truck won't do as much for you, as you'll need to fake out the PCM since you are a EGR equipped vehicle, PM me and we can discuss some things, as I'm not sure if what works on a S EGR vehicle, works on a F EGR'd vehicle.

You said you wanted longevity out of it, how do you plan on using it, as tow vehicle or a people hauler/daily driver,

I'd suggest a bypass oil filtration system, fuel pre-filters, and a few other things, which don't have to be done all at once, it took me about 2 years to get to my reliability comfort zone.

I'm still reaching for more power, I just rolled 200K on mile last month so I'm backing away from the quest for power for now until I install my new engine in it in when I get back to Ms this fall.

Just wait that cat is a POS, and not needed for the 6.5, which was a feel good measure only to appease politicos that haven't a clue, the cat on the 6.5 was borrowed tech from gasser world, except they forgot Diesels don't get hot like gasser and the soot just collects and blocks the core over time, making the vehicle run worse and more polluting over time than if they had just left it off, technology just hadn't caught up yet for the 6.5 era Diesel to be "clean".

If the traps made a difference then the (S/L56/EGR) would not have the exact same opacity test spec as the (F/L65/non-EGR).

Exhaust is an essential upgrade, even in a people hauler, helps keep the coolant temps of engine down especially as cat becomes plugged up, power upgrade, longevity upgrade and slight mpg improvement. If me I'd remove the stock, run the 3", save the stock one for when the aftermarket one had issues.

Interesting points. Only problem is, No cash to upgrade exhaust right now. I have to live with it until it wears out and then upgrade on replacement. The only posible immediate option is I have a complete 3" exahaust off my 89 ( ECLB like my "new" 98) from the Ypipe back. I may just have a new 3" downpipe made to it and run that. It's a nice 3" pipe from the 3" high flow cat to a 3" in/out mufler and 3" tail pipe. I was planning to take it off my 89 before I had her hauled away anyways...

I suspect the 3:62 final was a special order these normally came with 3:73 or 4:10 on 4x4 , my non EGR C1500 F engine burb with 3:42 has plenty towing power you should be fine.

don't know, it's what the RPO code came back with: G75 : AXLE REAR, 3.62 RATIO. I really should crawl under it and look for an axle tag....

Had that been a USA truck most probably there would be no EGR engine in it, since you say it's a K2500, is it 6 lug or 8 lugged wheels ?

8 lug, 8600 lb gvwr. No EGR, it's an L65 vin "F".

Many Canada bound/built and vehicles built to be sold in states like the peoples republic of Kalifornia mandated the addition of the EGR stuff, even though it took until the advent of modern common rail Diesel with DPF & Urea to have anything more than visible reductions from the tailpipe.

This despite the situation that it takes almost 2x the fuel as it once did to get down the road, mpg has really suffered in the newer DPF'd trucks with quest for "clean" exhaust, so IMO jury is still out whether or not we really solved anything with smog equipment on a Diesel, seems to me burning more fuel overall is just as bad as "sooty" emissions without DPFs or soot traps.

Interesting stuff, thanks from a diesel newb...

As far as PCM goes, it has to be reflashed in the OBD-II, adding a TM only for your truck won't do as much for you, as you'll need to fake out the PCM since you are a EGR equipped vehicle, PM me and we can discuss some things, as I'm not sure if what works on a S EGR vehicle, works on a F EGR'd vehicle.

No egr, L65, vin "F".....:smile5:

You said you wanted longevity out of it, how do you plan on using it, as tow vehicle or a people hauler/daily driver,

Daily driver, pretty much exclusively....I just like big HD trucks and felt it was time to try a diesel for the first time....

I'd suggest a bypass oil filtration system, fuel pre-filters, and a few other things, which don't have to be done all at once, it took me about 2 years to get to my reliability comfort zone.

My plan also (upgrade over time), don't have the scratch to do it all at once. I've always been a big fan of more filtration and coolers for everything.....

I'm still reaching for more power, I just rolled 200K on mile last month so I'm backing away from the quest for power for now until I install my new engine in it in when I get back to Ms this fall.

I would welcome a little boost in HP/torque, but my 300 000 km mill is closer to the end of it's life than the beginning, so it's only going to be a by-product of increased efficiency upgrades.

Thanks for the comments, lots to consider there.....:thumbsup:

I don't have any shops on Vancouver island, closest would be heath diesel in Washington state I guess.
The truck is stock, I mean stock!
PMD has been relocated, that's about it.
This truck isn't going to produce power numbers much above stock. MAYBE 50 Hp at best.
I'm aiming for longevity and fuel MPG....

I think there's a BC shop that's pretty well known mentioned on here as well. You may want to schedule a trip to Heath's when the dollar's above par again. Customs won't look under the hood, and what could they see new anyways after driving it for a few miles on the dirt road?:D

You can replace the restrictive intake elbow coming off the air cleaner box with a 90 degree sewer 3" true width, it makes a good difference in air flow IMO. For 3 bux at home depot :)

I think there's a BC shop that's pretty well known mentioned on here as well. You may want to schedule a trip to Heath's when the dollar's above par again. Customs won't look under the hood, and what could they see new anyways after driving it for a few miles on the dirt road?:D

Found a couple on the web:

harbor city diesel and offroad - Naniamo

Action fuel injection - Naniamo

Anyone have experiences with either shop?

Back