• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going to tackle the IP today...

Mezmorized

Reaction score
I'll be busy replacing my injection pump today. I've done the PMD and relocated it, I still haven't done the lift pump relay mod yet but that's coming soon. The truck has been acting up for a few years, and because of one of those "acting up" instances, I had purchased a new reman injection pump on kijiji for $450.00 (Can't go wrong!). Turned out it was a fuel leak causing the issue so we never changed the IP and I never got rid of it. I work in a heavy truck place, I asked the service manager (which also works on the floor) about my truck and he told me what his thoughts were on it and to try half a quart of 10W30 oil in a full tank of fuel. I tried it, I'm running on an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of the truck so I put in a quart and filled up. The next day the truck started running better. I then went back and told him about it and he said he think it's the barrel in the IP that, without lubrication, has likely swollen up and is giving me that issue. So now, I'll be installing it and removing that possibility from the equation. :D

Ok. I've taken the upper fan shroud off, the clutch fan and the oil fill tube. Stood there looking at what else might be in the way and I noticed this...

20140621_111737a.jpg

Notice anything missing?!! Can someone tell me what the bolt size and length is for the harmonic balancer?

LOL Well, someone has been in there before... I take the balancer pulley off, rubber is a little cracked but still solid so I have time to get and ATI balancer before it goes south. However, as I'm reading instructions to rotate the crankshaft using a 18mm socket, I go to the truck with said socket and it won't fit! I look at the head of the bolt and it's a standard bolt. I had to use a 15/16" socket to for the head of the bolt. So someone down the line stripped the threads in the crank snout. I'm not worried about it though because an old friend of mine ran a race engine with the same issue.

The The IP i've taken out is a 5521 and the one going in is a 5459, Looking at the sticky I don't see any problems or any advantages either?

Will L. From the IP to the injector return rail I take it? The feed line is 3/8"... Correct? I have to run to town to get gaskets for the coolant manifold for lack of a better term. Those gaskets don't come with the intake gasket set. I also have to get a new serpentine belt, I could delete the vacuum pump at the same time and get the shorter belt. I remember seeing somewhere which belt to get but it was hit and miss on the 95?

Correct, 1/4" clear line from ip to metal return line. Factory feed line is 5/16, feed the beast mod moves it up to 3/8.

No help with belt, sorry. Did you have Leroy's hose extension for the ops yet? Good time for easy acess.

I went to town to get the gaskets for the coolant manifold... Didn't have any so I'll whip out "The Right Stuff". Got a 1" shorter serpentine belt to delete the vacuum pump... "It's easy" they said... "Just access the bolts through the holes in the pulley" they said... LOL well, I can see the end of the bolts through the holes in the pulley... They come out the back of the pump though! Top 2 were a breeze... bottom one was a nightmare!

Yesterday I packed everything up at 8pm, at that point I had the injection pump back on. Got the above mentioned vacuum pump off now, next is re-installing the intake... after a few hot dogs ;)

P.S. While I was in town, I was trying to remember what else I needed... I remembered when I was almost home. I guess the fuel lines will stay how they are for now. :rolleyes5:

Ok, I got finished with the IP replacement at about 5.30pm, Went for a road test (and to pick up my wife, who doesn't like this truck to start with), it was issue free! Then we took the truck to go into town to have supper... It started acting up again!! :WTF:

I'll have to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see if it's a fuel pressure drop that is causing my issue.

Well I changed the PMD tonight along with new harness and heat sink... Went into town and issue free so far. Going to take the long way home to see if it will act up again. Fingers crossed

Back