• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMC 6.5 Dually

One thing to note is there are no hardened parts to use ulsd. The 5521s has the latest updates but unless something snuck past me nothing is hardened.

Something I realize just now reading your signature is that you have a #9 resistor and I remember now I don't have a resistor in the connector on the new PMD. I have a #5 and #9, I will install the #5 tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.

Yeah, Quadstar is solid. You can trust him.
But you need to know Leroy’s price for new is way less than most everyone in else out there.
Wnd the shop that told you THEY cant get them new nor get the new parts- telling the truth.
These things are going away.

A quality rebuild should get you a lot of miles, but many rebuilding places do a crap job, cant replace all the parts it needs, and many have had to fight to get back money- some loose it all.

So decide quick if you are gonna stay with this truck- or if so if you are gonna keep with the ds4 vs db2 conversion.

On the hummer forum- guys rigs are reslling from $40,000-$100,000 with the same engine. So they don’t balance cost of a ds4 as that bad. More and more are buying the new ones and storing it in sealed oxygen free container for the future. So don’t get the theory you will wait for price to come down- it never will. It’s only going to get more rare and more expensive.

Price bumps for many parts places hit in 3 month intervals- January, May, July, October. Idk about Leroy or Quadstar- but those months are the industry standard. So figure something within next couple weeks if possible to save probably $100.

Correct on the ulsd hardened parts for ds4- They don’t exist that I ever read.
Only the db2 & db4 because the military mandated it.

Yeah, Quadstar is solid. You can trust him.
But you need to know Leroy’s price for new is way less than most everyone in else out there.
Wnd the shop that told you THEY cant get them new nor get the new parts- telling the truth.
These things are going away.

A quality rebuild should get you a lot of miles, but many rebuilding places do a crap job, cant replace all the parts it needs, and many have had to fight to get back money- some loose it all.

So decide quick if you are gonna stay with this truck- or if so if you are gonna keep with the ds4 vs db2 conversion.

On the hummer forum- guys rigs are reslling from $40,000-$100,000 with the same engine. So they don’t balance cost of a ds4 as that bad. More and more are buying the new ones and storing it in sealed oxygen free container for the future. So don’t get the theory you will wait for price to come down- it never will. It’s only going to get more rare and more expensive.

Price bumps for many parts places hit in 3 month intervals- January, May, July, October. Idk about Leroy or Quadstar- but those months are the industry standard. So figure something within next couple weeks if possible to save probably $100.

Correct on the ulsd hardened parts for ds4- They don’t exist that I ever read.
Only the db2 & db4 because the military mandated it.

Awesome, thanks.
That's probably my main thought right now, is it worth fixing and how long will a reman pump last, and how long before parts are non-existent. This truck is an extended cab, I'm pretty sure mostly all original but I see some things moved and different. Heck I have been all under and over it, IT"S RUST free. The body alone is in great shape just the bugs with the engine. I know it's a bit of work but I can change it and if it works great then better for me. 6 new tires, newer seats, carpet and other items. So if I can narrow down the issue then I might as well keep it.

Awesome, thanks.
That's probably my main thought right now, is it worth fixing and how long will a reman pump last, and how long before parts are non-existent. This truck is an extended cab, I'm pretty sure mostly all original but I see some things moved and different. Heck I have been all under and over it, IT"S RUST free. The body alone is in great shape just the bugs with the engine. I know it's a bit of work but I can change it and if it works great then better for me. 6 new tires, newer seats, carpet and other items. So if I can narrow down the issue then I might as well keep it.

Also what is the DS4 pump and what's involved? I believe mine is the DB2

No, you have a ds4.
Db2 uses mechanical pedal to a cable. No pmd, no pcm.

So when you do put in reman or new ip- make the proper investment to keep it alive for years to come.
Clear fuel line on return line to always see issues at a glance. Mount fuel Pressure gauge in the dash to see while driving you always have between 8-14 psi-(hint- with factory lift pump 999 out of 1000 doesn’t). And water separator that 100% stops water. So the ultra pricey fass or similar. Way pricey but they stop the water which will ruin a new pump in minutes. If it stops the water it stops the bugs also.

I know not what you want to here- I am broke always too. I have a hard time not getting a loan to make my hummer all shiny and perfect to sell it. I’m sure one day I’ll have to. So I get how much the cost of things sux. Rebuild of my 6.5 just passed the 3 year mark. But it is always best to know the truth instead of hoping for things that aren’t possible.
The good thing is, a new pump with lube added to clean fuel at proper pressure can hit a quarter million miles. And New diesels that get their system toasted are 3 times the cost.

No, you have a ds4.
Db2 uses mechanical pedal to a cable. No pmd, no pcm.

So when you do put in reman or new ip- make the proper investment to keep it alive for years to come.
Clear fuel line on return line to always see issues at a glance. Mount fuel Pressure gauge in the dash to see while driving you always have between 8-14 psi-(hint- with factory lift pump 999 out of 1000 doesn’t). And water separator that 100% stops water. So the ultra pricey fass or similar. Way pricey but they stop the water which will ruin a new pump in minutes. If it stops the water it stops the bugs also.

I know not what you want to here- I am broke always too. I have a hard time not getting a loan to make my hummer all shiny and perfect to sell it. I’m sure one day I’ll have to. So I get how much the cost of things sux. Rebuild of my 6.5 just passed the 3 year mark. But it is always best to know the truth instead of hoping for things that aren’t possible.
The good thing is, a new pump with lube added to clean fuel at proper pressure can hit a quarter million miles. And New diesels that get their system toasted are 3 times the cost.

Thanks for all that, well if the rest of the engine is good enough then the pump will be a worthwhile investment. I have a gauge and sending unit coming from Holley, I will get a Walbro marine pump soon but I just installed a new one that pumps great. I was looking at a fuel/water separator. You're right I have a ds4. I have new glow plugs and thought if I go that far down for the pump then a new set of injectors as well and all the related items too. This truck was painted prior to my purchase and it sucks, someone did a blow and go but I am a painter as well so I can make it show quality one day.

I've dealt with quadstar...there good people..way off subject but they sell a bad ass oil cooler with braided hoses that will save your engines life..leroy sells them also..good investment... now as far as crank sensor...it will still crank if it's bad at least mine did... believe it or not the crank sensor and temp sensor control a ton of stuff on these engines and can really screw your truck up....it's a worthy investment to buy new ones and remember. A/C DELCO ONLY...I don't care what anyone says if it's not a direct Delco its gonna fail and may even be bad when you install it....as for injection pump..Ill have to find the sites but there's places that sell remans that give you a discount if you can send them your a bad one...if you need to use the truck till new one gets there then get one from junk yard to send them...not guaranteeing there sites do your research, I just remembered them from when I thought my pump was on its way out... thankfully it's still clinging to life.

but Leroy's price is above my means right now.

Bluntly and Frankly: don't bother changing the pump then. You are in a new world and will have an awful time diagnosing it if the reman pump is pure crap. Consider the age of these trucks and all the well wore out parts out there that are being attempted to be patched. A decade ago the situation was slightly better as you could get a running used surplus 6.2 engine. Now they are all burned out boat anchors not worth the shipping.

So you buy a new pump and this unknown mileage throwaway engine decides to go "BOOM!", crack a head, or piss you off in many ways these 6.5's are well known to do... Sure they are some of the cheaper diesel engines to get parts for. You start at $500 for an injector set where a HPCR Modern diesel start at $5,000.00 and would you like crosstubes and an install with that?

We are all about Frugal on here. My adventures with replacement used/reman injection pumps: Went through several and one governor let loose and took out my engine. If you are going to keep it go NEW. Otherwise you are getting by maybe till you can get rid of it for something else. Or you waste the reman money on something that don't work and can't get a refund. If I did this over I would do two things: Dump the GMx turbo on day number one of ownership and go with a NEW IP when I needed one.

Your alternative is to get a gas engine truck and just dump the fuel down it. With modern gas engines, well, some do better MPG than the 6.5TD.

He has one other option, get a pump from junk yard...just make sure it's from a truck that was wrecked or has some sign showing why it got junked...if the body is in one piece, then look around for other reasons it's in junk yard..if nothing obvious then it's a good chance it's there due to pump failure...this isn't the best route to go, but might buy you time to come up with the money to get a new pump.

He has one other option, get a pump from junk yard...just make sure it's from a truck that was wrecked or has some sign showing why it got junked...if the body is in one piece, then look around for other reasons it's in junk yard..if nothing obvious then it's a good chance it's there due to pump failure...this isn't the best route to go, but might buy you time to come up with the money to get a new pump.

I was just going to suggest this too. Early on lots of working pumps were replaced because of bad PMD and instead entire pump was replaced. When I bought my first 6.5, a '99 it had a new DS4 on it from 2005. That DS4 is still on my P400 and knock on wood has never given me problems, but I'm going to swap DB2 anyways for more power and complete elimination of potential electronic issues forever.

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

According to the Stanadyne bulletin, the 5942 model was a warranty replacement for the 5521

So go to a junkyard and if you can find some 6.5s pull the intakes and look for date codes or model numbers on the pumps. You might get lucky.

@Redtruck97 if this truck isn't your daily driver and you can wait a bit, I'd be happy to send you my DS4 once my conversion is done.

Thank you that's very generous of you. It is my daily driver but I have my Harley but we are headed to rainy season soon here in Florida so I need to make a decision. I do want to have it scanned to see if it has codes. The new IP pump from Leroy does not require a core but any reman pump does. I watched a video on crank position sensor, my truck starts and runs good, so I don't think that's my issue but seems like a pain in the A$$ to change. I have 2 new PMD's and wiring so that's good. I really appreciate all the help with this and yes I am doing all this on a budget but I am willing to spend it if it needs it so we will see what I can do.

Gonna throw one more thing in the mix at ya.
You said “get it scanned”
If you replace the pump, part of that job is setting it he timing- that needs a scanner.
When trying to figure out whats going on with this engine using a ds4- need a scanner.

The free at Autoparts stores reading a code with the $40 tool doesn’t cut it for these uses.
Paying a shop to do it 2-3 times can be the cost of you buying the software for laptop and you own it.
Here is the option from Leroy, but there are others out there. https://leroydiesel.com/products/auto-enginuity-scan-tool-for-gm-vehicles-96-2016/

Unfortunately you found this site once you have a problem going on. Luckier are those that found it and could plan accordingly.

Just driving or towing your truck to the local repair shop often is a no-go because this engine is a mess for them. Most do more damage than good. You need to call around and find one that can discuss the 6.5 and ds4 to show they have knowledge about them because it is very different than other diesels. And for you to have that discussion you need to know some details so you can determine if they are just trying to “wing it” to get your truck in their shop. So you’ll notice owners here do most if not all the work themselves.

LOL true...a bit late to the game but I am still in it. You are right about the parts stores scan tool. Well my choices are limited around here but I will be calling tomorrow, I do have a lot of dealers in my area, last resort go to them for scan. pump+Leroy's scan tool+all other things....gosh I need an extra month's pay just to get running....:inpain::rolleyes: thanks again for the info...

I re-suggest you at least do the clear return line and other cheap diagnostics mentioned on here. Air in fuel really messes these pumps ability to run properly up as it deals with air bubbles.

LOL no Harley Dealer here, we bought this one in Georgia in 2015, yep lots of old crusty people that can't drive. Do you have any direct contact info for him? Small town not to hard to get around.
Where are you located? Might be a member with a scanner near you

Zephyrhills Florida...about 30 miles north of Tampa. It would be great to find someone that would not bend me over for a scan.

Back