• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMC 4.5 diesel V8 may be making a comeback.

Not good odds vs. a cheaper (profitable) to build gas engine. TCO is ugly with higher diesel fuel price and more oil and filters everywhere to change. With the CP4 lawsuit biting GM in the ass, extreme cost of diesel emissions equipment to the MSRP sticker shock, and then this:

Oil Is Out: Nissan Readies a Refreshed, Diesel-free Titan Line

With the CP4 lawsuit biting GM in the ass, extreme cost of diesel emissions equipment to the MSRP sticker shock, and then this

Guess it's a good thing GM parted ways with BOSCH and hasn't used a CP4 since the 2016 MY. And the law firm behind that CP4 lawsuit is a slimy sleezeball ambulance chaser firm(the same one behind the pipelawsuit one).

As to the 4.5l, I think it could work out if marketed properly. Maybe GM could offer it as a lower output option for the 2500, fleets, and van/bus service. It's doubtful GM would market it correctly. As to Nissan, they tried competing against the big 3 with s bloated wannabe not quite a 3/4 ton, but more than s half ton truck that cost what a 3/4 to full size truck did. It's probably why FIAT stopped the deal with Cummins for the small V8 in the 1st place.

Yeah the rating of the XD is just short to tow my 5er. Heavy engine, big price tag, and worst of all combined with the other two things: "Not Enough Truck."

The MPG the 5.0 delivered wasn't a selling point. IMO the writers are drunk to care about MPG in a near 3/4 on up class. Again the TCO is more important than JUST MPG alone if you have reason to look at it. Most articles simply don't look at fleet or farm use where MPG aka TCO matter: rather personal use where MPG is just bitching about something. I agree if a 4.5L can answer the question of "Where is my MPG?" that the diesel HP wars and now emissions have lost it may have a chance. Yet "Fleet" isn't GM's major profit center as the reduced rental fleet sales tactic showed us years ago.

Same problems a diesel in a 1/2 ton has. With the Zero or Hero 3.0 hand grenade diesel FCA used instead of the Cummins...

Small V8 diesels: It's the wrong way to go with the significant cost for 2 more injectors. I6 or V6 just from production costs. Warranty on fuel systems is "Good Luck with that" pushed on the customer.

Yeah the rating of the XD is just short to tow my 5er. Heavy engine, big price tag, and worst of all combined with the other two things: "Not Enough Truck."

The MPG the 5.0 delivered wasn't a selling point. IMO the writers are drunk to care about MPG in a near 3/4 on up class. Again the TCO is more important than JUST MPG alone if you have reason to look at it. Most articles simply don't look at fleet or farm use where MPG aka TCO matter: rather personal use where MPG is just bitching about something. I agree if a 4.5L can answer the question of "Where is my MPG?" that the diesel HP wars and now emissions have lost it may have a chance. Yet "Fleet" isn't GM's major profit center as the reduced rental fleet sales tactic showed us years ago.

Same problems a diesel in a 1/2 ton has. With the Zero or Hero 3.0 hand grenade diesel FCA used instead of the Cummins...

Small V8 diesels: It's the wrong way to go with the significant cost for 2 more injectors. I6 or V6 just from production costs. Warranty on fuel systems is "Good Luck with that" pushed on the customer.

I have seen a few of the Nissan XD's with the Cummings on the road towing some big campers, bigger than what I would want to tow with a half ton truck. The other half ton's like a gas Tundra towing a great big camper, squatted down, trying to keep with the Diesels find out they just don't have the grunt. Got to say I showed a few of them from time to time what a good GM diesel can do on a few grades, when I go by and it about sucks the doors off. :smuggrin: No, I am no show off, but dang it some times you just have to blow the soot out of it...... 😁 :smuggrin:

Back