• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM employees

It has to do with the Duramax motors. GM likes to have the Allison do all the shifting work. Prevents over-revs and possibly blowing the motor.

GM sales of the ZF6 wasn't logical enough to keep production. If demand isn't there they simply aren't going to supply it. If you look at the sales of the ZF6 compared to the Allison I'm sure it's 10-1 ratio.

GM sales of the ZF6 wasn't logical enough to keep production. If demand isn't there they simply aren't going to supply it. If you look at the sales of the ZF6 compared to the Allison I'm sure it's 10-1 ratio.
IICR, it was 9 to 1.

jc

9:1 auto:manual is still a but load of manual transmission trucks I bet the ratio was much lower. If you tried to find any combination of ext cab and 4x4 with a stick it is rare.

GM never got the clutch right in any truck IMHO. I bet they lost a lot of money in warranty claims too and too many over stupid things like a squeaky clutch pedal (for crying out loud that is just cheap cheap parts/budget right there) . The Allison is a very good transmission I just like a handshaker. Seems like they would offer it as an order option for more money and really put a decent clutch in one If they thought they could sell 1/10 more trucks.

Anyone ever hear of a custom choo choo or upfitter conversion stick??? Not that I think that crowd would order a stick but who knows.

Not to mention that they seemed to have alot of clutch warranty issues.
Bingo. The problem was the DMFW. The clutch was smooth and slick, but would not hold up even under stock power.

So this makes a ZF6 d-max truck pretty damn rare, right? Was there a cost difference new?
The ZF6 was about $1800 cheaper IIRC.

I would be willing to bet, that LESS than 5% came with the ZF6. I would not be surprise to find it was less than 2%. Other than mine, I don't know of anyone around here that has one. I had to special order to get it.

Nephew has an '04 ECLB with ZF6. After he trashed the clutch he put in all aftermarket stuff. Forgot who's.

Yea Mike, I have the SouthBend in mine. It will hold a LOT of power and never even whimper. The only problem is that it is noisy. Sound like a throw-out bearing going bad ........... but that is just typical.
I'm pretty sure that's what he put in and IIR the conversation correctly he said he was questioning the throwout bearing. He's a member here but never checks in so I'll have to tell him about what you said Otis.

I found this post at the other place from a fellow that said he worked for a company that supplied parts for both transmissions. I tend to believe 2% to be the max with the zf6.

There will be no ZF-6 in 2007. Only motor will be LBZ with an Ally tranny.

With 98% of trucks selling are with an auto, it has become unpractical to continue offering the ZF-6 as an option. ZF is wanting to raise the price on the ZF-6, as the unit has become a limited production unit for them.

Also, the production schedule on the 1000 has gone thru the roof to support GM pickups and military contracts, the prices on the Allison tranny hold steady.

GM dropped the ZF6 in 06 and gave people the tap shift feature to make up for it. If you want a manual in a diesel truck, you may want to go with a truck a bit bigger than a 1 ton as most all of the new pickups come with auots as the only option. As it stands now DODGE is the only one left with it as an order option, but I haven't heard of any actually being turned out.

Plus it's cheaper to not have to have two lines for assembling trans & engine combo's, not having to have separate stampings, etc. All in GM's cost cutting measures. I'm sure it all added up.

Back