• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM Diesel Owner Meet and Greet,BROOKFIELD, CT March 14, 2010

Will be good to see everyone. Jamie called me about 5 pm saying he had a leaf spring issue, and lost a nut off his tie rod. He's up in one of the Windsors looking at a college.
Hope he reads these posts and can get some help.

My power keeps going on and off , I'll check messages before I leave in the morning, IF I got power. Walk ins are welcome.

Terry

Was a rough night here, power off most of it. Was up about 4 am watching a wire burn
about 5 miles away up in the nearby hills. spooky
Brew Time this afternoon.

I'm sorry to say, I will nor be there. It's one thing to drive 3.5 hours that I was all for doing. But LOOK AT THE RADAR I hate driving in the rain let alone a monsoon! Have a good time I hope you do it again soon! Keep me in mind in June. NH laconia bike week. I have lots of room for campers and tents. Everyone is welcome

Thanks for the offer guys. I was in the hotel when I made the post and called to let Terry know I couldn't make it. Pulling in yesterday it seemed worse than it was, but this morning I was able to isolate the issue. Long story short some NY A-hole decided that instead of making the road flat he was going to put a big speedbump across the road in a patch job. It was easily about 10" or so tall and I only had about a second to react when I saw it. I hit that thing at about 55mph... Front end was fine, but the impact was so bad that as the rear leafs where flexing, the drivers side got locked"forward"(at the schackle), instead of being able to swing backwards as the leafs flexed. Looked worse than it really was. Then not even 50 miles in the cotterpin came off the steering linkage on the drivers side, the nut backed out and the steering crossover hit the pavement. Luckily I was able to pull over with partial control of my steering and get towed to a local shop. The guy there helped me out and hooked me up with a locknut and new cotter pins to fix the issue. Problem solved. (Twin Towing was the places name, if anybody ever needs help in NY call them. They can even go on the Turnpike)

I could have made it to the meet but I wanted to get back so as to avoid additional damage. Then mom called telling me the powers out at home. Long story short with the condition my dad is in he can't go long without heat, so at that point I had to go home and get my house up and running.

The good news is. The truck is fixed(articulated the axle on the way home enough to unlock the shackle and make it swing the proper direction again.) And short of torrential downpours all went well. So how was the meet? Do share!

Thanks for the offer guys. I was in the hotel when I made the post and called to let Terry know I couldn't make it. Pulling in yesterday it seemed worse than it was, but this morning I was able to isolate the issue. Long story short some NY A-hole decided that instead of making the road flat he was going to put a big speedbump across the road in a patch job. It was easily about 10" or so tall and I only had about a second to react when I saw it. I hit that thing at about 55mph... Front end was fine, but the impact was so bad that as the rear leafs where flexing, the drivers side got locked"forward"(at the schackle), instead of being able to swing backwards as the leafs flexed. Looked worse than it really was. Then not even 50 miles in the cotterpin came off the steering linkage on the drivers side, the nut backed out and the steering crossover hit the pavement. Luckily I was able to pull over with partial control of my steering and get towed to a local shop. The guy there helped me out and hooked me up with a locknut and new cotter pins to fix the issue. Problem solved. (Twin Towing was the places name, if anybody ever needs help in NY call them. They can even go on the Turnpike)

I could have made it to the meet but I wanted to get back so as to avoid additional damage. Then mom called telling me the powers out at home. Long story short with the condition my dad is in he can't go long without heat, so at that point I had to go home and get my house up and running.

The good news is. The truck is fixed(articulated the axle on the way home enough to unlock the shackle and make it swing the proper direction again.) And short of torrential downpours all went well. So how was the meet? Do share!

Too bad you couldn't make it Jamie, but with what's going on at your home and with your truck i would've headed home as well.

Managed to get Big Red there. I have a feeling I'll be working on it the rest of the week for that. ):h

Seemed to be a pretty good turnout, at least it was in my opinion.

Hope you can make it to the big meet and greet in i believe Sept.

- Dave

I'd like to Thank everyone who was able to make the event ! You made it a big success.
I had a good time, and I hope everyone else did too.
Met some new friends, and saw some I had not seen in awhile from the NEDGT gettogethers and other Meet and Greets.
There was either 16 or 18 of us there, and a variety of trucks.
My camera kept dying, so if anyone took pics, please send them to me at [email protected]. so I can post them at the NEDGT website.

Dan and Stan, neighbors of mine , who were there today have offered to host an evening bonfire on Sat. night during this years NEDGT gettogether in Sept.
I'll post on various sites as I have details.

Again, Thanks for your support in making the meet and greet a success.

I don't know everyone's screen names or email addresses to Thank You all individually for joining the fun today, but I do appreciate you supporting the event. Thanks

It happens man. 5 people canceled for various reasons, some serious weather related
damage for some, parental concerns (boy does that one hit home), luckily yours was just an ailing truck (not that its any fun) The September Gettogether is coming up, and it just a bit over an hour from your school. Bill from CT Smoke will likely do something this summer , or the lebanon Valley drag day. Hey, why not post for a breakfast or lunch down in NJ ?
Thanks for keeping us posted.

sorry i couldnt make it guys. i wanted to, but the dying truck, and the big weather issues kept me home. i will definatly be there in september!!!!

Hi- Well still haven't got my butt in gear and done a major update on the NEDGT website.
UGH, need some energy !

Some news on participants from the NEDGT and Meet and Greet.

Patty, who took charge of the Show and Shine at the 2007 NEDGT , and was the host to everyone at the truck museum Sat. morning got remarried in September . Her husband owned KTECK auto repair in New Milford and is responsible for many of the modified Duramax in the area. he now works for LONGO developers, who has many white DMAX in there fleet out of Brookfield, CT.

Tony Deak, who has attended many of the NEDGT gettogethers and this past March the Meet and greet has been in the hospital a few times the past few weeks.
I gave him hell when I stopped to see him at New Milford hospital, because the first event he drove himself to the hospital, and had a security guard not seen him in his truck at 2am, Tony probrably wouldn't be with us.
Comically, they put him in the pediatric ward since ICU was full !!

Tony was readmitted 4 days latter (by ambulance this time) the pace maker they had implanted failed. Tony is now doing well, I've run into him several times at the Villager in Kent.
Tony is one of the "senior" members of the gettogethers , and has close to 300,000 on his 2001 truck . It no longer looks pretty, with bangs and bruises but hes not ready to retire it or himself yet.
Stay well Tony !

I have the date saved for the September GTG. And If I have to steal my mothers car for a weekend, come hell or high water I will make it up there!

There is of course Diesel truck nationals in Raceway park in Englishtown. I know last year there are a few guys that got together and went as a group for that one. And I know there are a few Sled pulls in NY that go on. I'm sure I could drum something up, hopefully on a day with better weather.

Back