• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Glowplug controller freaking out? Or normal operation?

restoguy

Reaction score
My GPs have been doing something unusual the last couple days. Previously, when I would start the girl up the GP light would come on about 3 or 4 times for 3 seconds each. That's what I know as 'normal'. The last couple days after I start it, the light stays lit for 6-8 seconds, just one time. I have the Heath ECM in it now, if that makes a difference. Anybody experience the same thing? Is my GP controller about to sh!t the bed?

normal should be the 6-8 seconds light on solid and then coming on again and flashing on and of several times, AKA afterglow

Im talking after the engine is running. One long pulse not several smaller ones like normal.

I put the Heath ecm in last saturday. The odd afterglow started on wednesday. I might switch back to my old ecm to see if anything changes. I would think the controller would either work or it wouldn't and the ecm tells it to cycle so...

I have the same variance in cycles and am running a Heath chip as well. Running 60Gs, it can glow all it wants. I can't imagine how this would be detrimental unless you were using it as a get-away car.

I guess I'll call Heath tomorrow and ask. I thought it funny that it didn't start happening right when I put the ECM in. I timed it today and it was 10s. I guess maybe it's normal.

Back