• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Getting ready to start my project !!!

"Skyriidz" (eGay member) has 4" tough country lifts with shocks for 88 - 98 2500 / 3500 4x4 trucks for $1349.00 and free shipping... That is what I'm getting.

Anyhow, I got the old "GM 506" block out my truck today, here are a few pics of the disaster.
100_4893.jpg
[/IMG]

You can see my awesome oil cooler line tool leaning against the front passenger wheel...LOL
100_4894.jpg
[/IMG]

Super clean engine compartment.
100_4895.jpg
[/IMG]

And last but not least my 2 studly lil helpers.
100_4896.jpg
[/IMG]

Tomorrow maybe get the old motor mount shells, radiator, condenser, oil cooler and lines out.

Mike

Well, made a lil more progress on my truck, I got the engine bay power washed, my new motor mount inserts done and have gotten a few more goodies. I'm getting damn close to setting this new engine in the truck FINALLY.... I will post some more pics soon.

Mike

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, something weird is going on my computer, not allowing me to post new topics or reply to threads or PM...

But anyhow here are a few pics of some of the latest purchases.

10 AN oil cooler lines from pmd cable.
100_4906.jpg

S&B air filter kit.
100_4907.jpg

New sensors and another set of new glow plugs, AC Delco this time.
100_4911.jpg

New flywheel.. already installed along with block heater and oil cooler line fittings.
100_4909.jpg

Engine hangin' from cherry picker...
100_4910.jpg

I had set the engine in last Saturday to discover the damn energy suspension mount inserts were the wrong ones not allowing the upper mounts on the block to both set down all the way.. I'm really pissed about it.. So I had to pull the engine back out, hence hanging from the picker. I ordered some new inserts from Summit yesterday to get the lowers "rebuilt" again... Oh well.

Mike

IIRC there was a long discussion here a little while ago about the ES engine mounts. Dont remember for sure what it is but there is an issue there. Part #'s aint right or something.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, something weird is going on my computer, not allowing me to post new topics or reply to threads or PM...

But anyhow here are a few pics of some of the latest purchases.

10 AN oil cooler lines from pmd cable.
View attachment 29596

S&B air filter kit.
View attachment 29597

New sensors and another set of new glow plugs, AC Delco this time.
View attachment 29599

New flywheel.. already installed along with block heater and oil cooler line fittings.
View attachment 29600

Engine hangin' from cherry picker...
View attachment 29601

I had set the engine in last Saturday to discover the damn energy suspension mount inserts were the wrong ones not allowing the upper mounts on the block to both set down all the way.. I'm really pissed about it.. So I had to pull the engine back out, hence hanging from the picker. I ordered some new inserts from Summit yesterday to get the lowers "rebuilt" again... Oh well.

Mike
I've used the energy suspension#3.1116R on several engines. If you put the insert in backwards-end to end, it won't allow the engine to go down.[the r is the color b would be black]Here's a pic of a 4wd mount with the insert in correctly
IMG_2460_1.JPG

Yes and 2wd. That number insert will work on a 76 chevy v-8 in a car or truck. Very wide application. The ES catalog is rather confusing when it comes to the motor mount inserts.

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have had my 97 diesel for 5 years. I have been doing the same Ted's motor project with mostly the same goodies. I was wondering if you know why or what that crimped tubing is behind the flywheel. I have never seen it on a GM block.

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have had my 97 diesel for 5 years. I have been doing the same Ted's motor project with mostly the same goodies. I was wondering if you know why or what that crimped tubing is behind the flywheel. I have never seen it on a GM block.

I believe what you are asking about is the valley drain for manual transmissions equipped trucks. It is designed to keep crud and junk off the clutch.

The first set of mount inserts I had bought are #3.1116g I installed them the same way Barry has in his pic... however they did not work for me, I fought with the engine trying to get it down in for a couple hours could get one side or the other but not both, ultimately bending the ears on one of the mounts, obviously stuck with them now.

I then purchased a set of #3.1121g mounts and of course they are just too damn big to fit inside the shells, they will go back to Summit. I then got pissed about these things and called Energy suspension yesterday and was informed the correct mounts for our body style trucks are #3.1152g and they are for 6.5 / 7.4 engines.

So another phone call to Summit just discover they don't stock them due to lack of sales. So a phone call was made to Jegs, they were in stock, and they will be here tomorrow.

I will try to get pics of all 3 mounts tomorrow before I ship the 1121's back.

Barry, if you are interested in the 1116's I have pm me. I did straighten up the ears on them, so they are still usable just not returnable.

Yes, the tube at the back of the block is a valley drain, for any spills that may and or will occur.

Mike

Thanks, kinda what I thought. I can't wait to find the time to finish this project and not wanting any problems.

Welcome to The Truck Stop... Take lots of pics to document your build and start a thread on it. You never know what help you may be to somebody else or help you may receive by doing so.

I can't thank everybody enough here that has helped me along the way with parts, part numbers, and advice.. I just have been pretty good at blowing a lot of money on this silly project of mine and not getting a whole lot done in a timely manner, but work has been very demanding.

Mike

Just curious but what mount #'s are right for your truck. the 1116's fit my 97. Took some wrangling to get them to seat but they fit. My old ones were completly worn out and torn.

Back