• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gear Vendors

Never had one, but did a lot of research for my 94 Dually...ended up getting a new '01 Duramax...:thumbsup:

Anyways, from what I found out the GV unit is very strong and reliable being able to survive quite nicely behind 1200lbs of torque and whatever you are towing or hauling.

The only real issue is that you cannot use the GV gears for grade braking, you must switch the unit off when grade braking then switch the unit back on once you are again underway.

Also, they are kinda pricey.

Pricey is about even in my case. The alternative is a 4l80e with a Compushift which will end up about the same $$ and I hate electronics.

Not sure what application you want this for, but installing a GV unit is fairly straight forward. Some apps. need to have the driveshaft shortened. There are some electronics involved with the GV unit that allows you to just turn it on and let it shift automatically for you. The 4l80e may not be that tough either, should bolt right up.

Don't know what the 4l80e combo will cost, but a GV unit runs about $3500 installed. If you keep a sharp eye out you can find a used unit which saves a ton-o-cash.

I have a friend who put one on his '08 Dodge. He likes it, but probably wouldn't spend the money on it again if he had it to do over... I have the same general sentiment, especially in the case of these newer 5 and 6-spd trannys.

looking at putting one in my 87 k30 as well (454+sm465 4x4).

advantage of the gear vendors is the ability to split the gears, and be able to use overdrive when pulling a heavy load (if you have the power) without putting the stress on the transmission's overdrive gear. unit is also interchangeable because of the different adapters so if you decide to get rid of the truck at a later date you can relocate the gear vendor unit to the next vehicle.

they pop up from time to time for sale as used units, found 3 on ebay a few days ago.

A built 4l80e with a compushift will runabout 3500$ as well and I can install the GV myself I would think.
Yeah, if you're handy with a wrench it's not that tough, however, if you have to shorten the driveshaft that needs to be done by a professional. Or you can take the measurements and have one made. $$$$$$

looking at putting one in my 87 k30 as well (454+sm465 4x4).

advantage of the gear vendors is the ability to split the gears, and be able to use overdrive when pulling a heavy load (if you have the power) without putting the stress on the transmission's overdrive gear. unit is also interchangeable because of the different adapters so if you decide to get rid of the truck at a later date you can relocate the gear vendor unit to the next vehicle.

they pop up from time to time for sale as used units, found 3 on ebay a few days ago.

I'd buy one of these before I would a GEAR VENDOR for a manual application. You can use it in 4X4, shift it on the fly for gear splitting, and it can be left in OD all the time.

http://advanceadapters.com/category/28/Ranger+Torque+Splitter+Overdrives+&+Underdrives.html

the problem with the ranger units is the power level they are designed for, no more than 420ft/lbs of torque (according to their site). for me thats a problem, with a stock 454 i'm not too far away from that and i will be doing some upgrades so will exceede the max rating. dont know what kinda power acesneights1 is looking at.

Back