• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Garage for Humster.

denata

Reaction score
my brick garage is 6x7m (20x23ft). The floor is wooden (larch) from boards 6x2 inches. 6 logs of the floor of 6x6inch. and three steel I-beams 140x80mm .
I'm digging a basement now. the ground is very heavy, stones of different calibers. I have already dug about 10 tons.

20171013_182936.jpg20171013_183021.jpgIMG-20190222-WA0000.jpegIMG-20190222-WA0004.jpegIMG_20201013_153919.jpgIMG_20201013_153943.jpgIMG_20201013_153916.jpgIMG_20201116_234558.jpgIMG_20201116_234339.jpg

Make a workshop on the -1 floor a little less than a garage. concrete floors and walls. dig a small cellar -2 fl. for storing supplies in case of a zombie apocalypse or covid20…25.
Boy, I’d love to store stuff in the basement under my house. This being in the river channel sucks for doing such as that.
I had a bunch of paintings My sister had done. Without my knowledge the wifey put them in the basement, on the concrete floor leaning against a cupboard. Early spring i was hooking the well pump for the sprinklers, it is in the basement, I seen the paintings and got pissed and moved the paintings to the loft/attic affair. It started raining and didnt quit, in about a week the water table had came up enough that it put out the hot water heater. Damn, if them paintings would have got ruined I would have been more pissed off than that woman has ever seen me. 😳😹

There is two wells in the basement. From top of ground level the wells are about 25 feet deep. The surface water comes to within about ten to twelve feet of the outside ground level. During extreme rain seasons the water table rises to within about eight feet or less of the top ground surface, then, water flows out the top of the wells, through the cracks in the concrete basement floor and floods the basement.
I do now have a sump and pump but, there would be such a volume of water that the sump pump wont keep up with the flow. Pump is plumbed into the city sewer system with a check valve to keep sewage from backing into the basement.
I think the best answer is going to be to sell, for whatever I can get and move out of this valley.
Oh yeah, the Mighty Yellowstone River is about 100 yards from this place too. 😹😹😹

Growing up in this same house, the basement used to be all dirt. After dad retired in the 60s He got busy and, with little help from Me, started digging. He concreted the floor then made up forms and poured the basement walls. I guess that there would have been no money for such luxuries as water proofing back in those days. LOLOLOL

So long as you understand the load distribution of the weight of the building into the ground.

In the Vegas area, 99% of homes with attached and detached garages are built without basements. People move here having had basements, and will dig them in. I have seen small garages to entire homes collapsed partially to fully, even when done by contractors.

Dug 1000 buckets of 20 kg (44 lb) each! My right elbow wants to retire. I read medical articles. I think I got the elbow tennis, golfer and pitcher syndrome together.
Need a break...
I had that, been a long time since I had problems with it.
A doctor over here in billings Montana performed an operation, He inserted a scalpel right next to the elbow and cuat that tendon that connects to the point of the elbow. That tendon is still attached to the bone right close to the elbow so it is like nothing lost except for that excruciating pain.
The right elbow felt so good after it got healed that I had him do the left side too.

About that flooded basement thing, Marty is right that it is a pain. Water is going to go where it wants and the best thing for a basement is to avoid it. From a perspective of direct observations, digging down to the water table is not a good idea. Neither is putting the foundation in the path of a stream that only appears during the rainy season or heavy downpours. Many builders do this all the time with little care. Sure, it is possible to do like New Orleans by routing and pumping. Come up with all the contraptions you can think of to keep water from getting in, and God will laugh at each one. And when (not if) the mitigation(s) fail, you have an indoor pool with lots of ruined things and the good chance of mold setting-in.

So, best practice for basements near water is to do like Marty did with those paintings. Only store disposable items in the water prone area and move anything perishable / valuable away from the water prone area. Better practice is to have an elevated / ventilated floor so that air can circulate, prevent mold build-up from stagnant air, and give a buffer for when water does penetrate. Shipping pallets are great for this.

Back