• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

G`DAY ALL , Rob Here Just done 5500Ks no dramas but have a question

Hey, mate. As we used to say up here in the Army, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." You're getting good fuel mileage (kilometerage?) out of it, the timing specs are close enough for Government work and it is getting out of its own way pretty much. The 6.5TD was never a stump-puller powerplant, 200HP/400tq gross is doing really good out of one of these pretty much stock.

@3bals has a P30 chassis-based motorhome (which I helped him pick up and bring back) and it held 75mph (120kph) towing his little Chevy Aveo without problem out on the Interstate (your M routes) and up in the mountainous stretches above 7,000' (2000M) climbing grades of 3-4% it would haul itself up at 30-35mph (50-60kph) pretty steady. I-d be happy with how your is doing and be glad it isn't a petrol-burning 7.1L Chevy or 7.5L Ford powerplant getting half or worse fuel consumption than now.

Enjoy your summer and drink a pipe of Fosters for me, will ya?
Husker Just come home did a quick 800K`s down the coast ,(Its the Australia dat long weekend here ) so will be having a few beers for sure , Im real happy the way she is running Just wanted to double check the numbers as didnt want to pop a hole in a piston ,
come over I will buy you beers ,,,, easy

Takes off as fast as the cars at the lights ,,, I get a few looks ,,, And the economy is better than my 4cyl ford trader 4 ltr

@Gravel Hey, if you're happy with it, who's to complain? It was just a suggestion to take some strain off the motor and improve operating parameters, longevity and reliability over the stock turbo/programming/transmission combination.

the trans is one thing that would be good to get programed If i go up a slight hill (and i mean slight ) she kicks down a gear and the revs go up and then its outside the best toque range ,, It would go up the hill in 4th happy at 2600 RPM but kicks down and ends up at 3200 ,,,,
some one said a trans controler ,,,I cant find one in oz

The transmission kicking down is more a function of the throttle position than the current ECM programming for the transmission. A turbo that breathes much better at 2600 rpm than the GM-x wheeze-a-matic that chokes out above 2000 rpm - like the ATT does - and better fueling programming that takes advantage of the much better airflow of the ATT above 2000 rpm, along with the "looser" higher stall speed of the Yank torque converter, would pretty much eliminate that annoying kicking down a gear and high revving when on a slight uphill climb.

Back