• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fun with Ted, Todd, Bill and Paul…Resurrecting an Ultimate Rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question was asked where I found Rod Bolts for the 6.2 since ARP hasn't released a line on them yet.

RPM Machine
Cedar Hills UT
877-354-3812

Since a site supporting vendor wasn't able to jump on to this thread, here is their web page address.
http://rpmmachine.com/
If it doesn't stick because of an error on my part, at least you have the phone number above.

I ordered them before noon on a Monday and had them in hand by Thursday.

Since things are a little slow tonight on the threads, i thought I'd post this one up as yet another chapter in the continuing adventures/misadventures of 635.:rolleyes5:

Ted got a great deal on a 6.2 that had been 'crated' for a decade or more. Anyone care to venture what purpose a 2.5" hole cut in the oil pan would serve? :???:
Easy oil level indicator
Heater access
CDR bypass

IMG_1361[1].JPG:WTF:

Fortunately it turns over and inspections so far haven't turned up anything to indicate damage.

The engine, the the photo, has been in a 6.5 shipping box/crate since 1993. The engine build date is 9-7-82 and a 660 block. The original owner had an 1982 Chev pickup but not enough power to pull a 2 horse horse trailer. Story I got was at less than 40,000 miles the old guy liked his truck but not his engine so had it repower with a Turboed 6.5. When I lifted the engine up and out of the crate I saw the whole in the pan. Decided I had better check it out real well.

The pan only had 3 pan bolts on each side. Took the heads off and the cylinders look great. Took #1 main cap off and the bearing looked perfect. Engine still spins real good so it will get a set of Clevite Bearing and 6.5 heads and get in my 98 dually.

The hole must be the oil fill level.

Sooner or later it catches up and they close the doors. Usually that happens after they see they've been found out and the word is spreading. Faster in today's internet world.
This was sent to me a while back when the motor busted and the discoveries were still being made as to what had and hadn't happened. I just located it in an obscure file and figured I'd make this my last slam on DD...for this thread.:hello:

Nas Car Benny-Jammie Avant.jpg
:rof:

OK, back to the motors.
Ted's 6.2 "Crated Motor." Looking at that hole in the pan, I can't see it as anything other than a failed attempt at something (pet door for trained gremlin?) and was placed on there after removing the original for the 'do over.' Ted said that there were only three or four bolts holding it in place so that's my theory.
His three sets of Rod Bolts showed up the other day too so now just needs a few odds and ends (ECM and HT#4 Cam grind) and he'll be about ready to rock.

The 6.35R...The block is still at JB Racing / Machine shop and should be ready for pick up this week. Once Ted has it dropped off at Heath's then the block is considered mine. Right now it is still Ted's 6.35R so until then...still waiting on parts to include my HP#3 Cam and it seems the bushings will take another two weeks.

While waiting for the other parts to arrive, I've been seriously considering the Harland Sharp Roller Rockers. This motor is pretty much my "Graduation Present" for Army Retirement so I'd like to get it right the first time. I'm not starting a poll or anything but I'd like some opinions please. It was mentioned on another thread that at $650 the theorized 15 HP gain through reduced friction equates to about $44 for each promised pony. Throw in Free Shipping and a 5% discount and that price stays fairly consistent at about $41 but, then there's Tax so figure $45 per HP.
Has anyone heard anything contrary to marketing write ups from their D-Max or Cummins Cousins on these things?

Elsewhere it was discussed that you will recover more than just the 15 or so HP. Parts should last longer, better efficiency, and hey, you only retire once. What's an extra 650? That's my opinion and sticking to it.

The purchase is tempting and there's that "I want it" itch that needs to be put down. I'll be doing some thinking and questioning as I'm not sure if the change from the 1.5 to 1.6 multiplier that is standard with Peninsular's units will compliment or hinder the cam grind. Harland Sharp was already closed to incoming calls so I emailed them and will wait on their answer as to how theirs are set up. Either way, I'll have to talk to Bill but I'm leaning hard to an improved stock rocker that Todd's friend does for the time being. Easier to swap rockers than a cam and Peninsular was estimating their price point would be closer to $7-800. I can wait.

Ya have to understand, Sunshine kept trying to put stuff in the back that we knew wouldn't make it through customs, let alone fit in his luggage.
Like when we got to Chimney Rock...
View attachment 32458

Ahh, Chimney Rock, now we're talking my stomping grounds! Did you get him over to Ft. Robinson to roller skate in the buffalo (American Bison) herd?:D

Ahh, Chimney Rock, now we're talking my stomping grounds! Did you get him over to Ft. Robinson to roller skate in the buffalo (American Bison) herd?:D

Drove through/by it. That day we started in Sidney and saw: Chimney Rock, Crazy Horse, Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, Devil's Tower, Custer's Battlefield and stopped in Billings for the night.
Not much time for rollerskating.

Since things are a little slow tonight on the threads, i thought I'd post this one up as yet another chapter in the continuing adventures/misadventures of 635.:rolleyes5:

Ted got a great deal on a 6.2 that had been 'crated' for a decade or more. Anyone care to venture what purpose a 2.5" hole cut in the oil pan would serve? :???:

IED from Iraq??

Drove through/by it. That day we started in Sidney and saw: Chimney Rock, Crazy Horse, Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, Devil's Tower, Custer's Battlefield and stopped in Billings for the night.
Not much time for rollerskating.

Covered a lot of territory and history. Did you guys get a gander at Carhenge??

That's a shame with no Carhenge, I thought perhaps you would have as it's just yards off the highway heading north out of Alliance, NE as you head north to Chadron and on to the Black Hills. Congrats on your retirement from Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet. Did 17 years and 9 months good time here out of 19 years total (had a year and three as a name in the computer in I.R.R.), the last 16 years were Commissioned. Got RIF'ed as a two-time pass over on my promotion board from O-3 to O-4.

Anyhoo, sounds like the trials and tribulations with Diesel Depot are a lot like those that were being had with International Diesel and their "rebuilds" back 5-6 years ago. Shipping "remans" with cracked blocks and heads, not answering phones/emails, changing the business name and using a link from their old website to their new. Oh, and being sued by at least two State Attorney Generals' Offices last I heard five years ago for shipping their defective merchandise across state lines and then not honoring their warranty. Big no-no.

Just read the whole thread and watched the video. Way Cool!! I wish I'd had know back then, I would have met up with you guys in Colorado and hung with you through Nebraska, S. Dak, and Montana, at least. I'm always game for a road trip, that's what the build plans for the Burb are, the ultimate road trip truckster!

Just read the whole thread and watched the video. Way Cool!! I wish I'd had know back then, I would have met up with you guys in Colorado and hung with you through Nebraska, S. Dak, and Montana, at least. I'm always game for a road trip, that's what the build plans for the Burb are, the ultimate road trip truckster!

Would of been good to of met up with you on the trip also. Then Limey could of been in the front seat for a while!!

I had a trip planned and was on a time schedule. Didn't have a lot of time to look at holes in the ground! Saw it and it wasn't going to change any, time to go! Put er in the wind, stretch er out and skin er back!! Retired driver!

Would of been good to of met up with you on the trip also. Then Limey could of been in the front seat for a while!!

I had a trip planned and was on a time schedule. Didn't have a lot of time to look at holes in the ground! Saw it and it wasn't going to change any, time to go! Put er in the wind, stretch er out and skin er back!! Retired driver!

Front seat? FRONT seat? That's what the third seat way in back in the Burb is for, the "Are we there yet?" kids!:rof: Kinda reminds one of National Lampoon's European Vacation "Look kid's, Big Ben and Parliament!":hihi:

Front seat? FRONT seat? That's what the third seat way in back in the Burb is for, the "Are we there yet?" kids!:rof: Kinda reminds one of National Lampoon's European Vacation "Look kid's, Big Ben and Parliament!":hihi:

Hmm.... :skep:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back