• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

fuel tank leaking

Joey D

Reaction score
Looks like my tank leaking. Looks good where I can see it but behind the plastic there must be a hole or a rotten section.

Looks like my tank leaking. Looks good where I can see it but behind the plastic there must be a hole or a rotten section.

probably leaking at the seam dead center of tank.

Only filling half way may buy you leak free time.

My experience anyhow. That and no parkign on hills :)

You do not state were you live. It has been seen many times from the folks up north that use salt on the roads in the winter time have the tank and fuel lines rust out.

With two people it is very easy to remove a bed on a chevy.

I will order a new tank and have it ready to go.
I was parked on a side hill when I noticed it, leaning towards the drivers side. I am sure it's from the road salt as they think it's cheaper than plowing so they drop tons of it.

ouch thats a real pain. It will probubly benefit you that since your a northern member where lots of salt during the wintertime leads to rust and ploblems to replace the tank, fuel lines, and also treat your bed frame rails with stuff like rustoleium. You wont be disatisfied I can assure you.

Been there done that.... salt blows..... I got this from a local shop, paid 120 for it, i got a deal....

Attachments

• New tank.....jpg
    New tank.....jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 23
If you have rust problems on your frame I would recommend this from SEM use Rust mort and then Rust seal. The rust mort counter acts with the rust and rust seal covers it up. Their is a big article on this in the latest DieselPower magazine.

Here is a link to SEM and DieselPower!

My truck is a short bed, 26 gallon tank.
Anyways it looks like it's the lines at the top of the tank and I am just going to replace them up to the pump as it is also leaking up at the motor as well. It's odd as the truck is not a rot box, frame and floors are still in great shape, just the lines are crappiy at all the connection points. I just did my rear brake lines for the same reason.
I want to convert to a rear mounted tank from a suburban and I may as well just do it now.

Anyways it looks like it's the lines at the top of the tank and I am just going to replace them up to the pump as it is also leaking up at the motor as well. It's odd as the truck is not a rot box, frame and floors are still in great shape, just the lines are crappiy at all the connection points. I just did my rear brake lines for the same reason.
I want to convert to a rear mounted tank from a suburban and I may as well just do it now.

Not odd, mine is not a rotbox either, yet my fuel lines look as you explained, and I live near you. I think the salt just sits up there, and moisture/humidity wettens it up to reek havoc year round.

I replaced my tank and my FSU recently, didn't even bother trying to re-use the FSU.

Matt, I am going to replace everything like you said. I don't want to do it twice.

Matt, I am going to replace everything like you said. I don't want to do it twice.

Pay close attention to the details of your FSU when you install it. Note the sock, and the details of it. Compare it to the one you remove.

Something went wrong on my install and i'm showing out of fuel symptoms 11 gallons deep in a 22 gallon tank...

I have to do it twice :(

Pay close attention to the details of your FSU when you install it. Note the sock, and the details of it. Compare it to the one you remove.

Something went wrong on my install and i'm showing out of fuel symptoms 11 gallons deep in a 22 gallon tank...

Thanks for the heads up.

http://dieseltowingresource.com/showpost.php?p=128201&postcount=36

check pics here, same thing...

I'm sure thats what I will find. The lines I can see at the top of the tank look like that. The tank itself looks good though.

Maybe a Gas sock instead of Diesel. Someone on the other site had this problem and it drove him nuts.

Back