• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel System Troubleshooting.

CarloRoppolo

Reaction score
Hello everyone im having a few problems with my Chevy K2500 95 6.5l TD
Im going to try to be as descriptive as possible for yall.
Lets start from the beginning.
The other day I got off work late and was ready to get home. I needed to stop and get diesel but the gas station was packed so i decided i was going to try to make it to the one near my house. I have about a 45m drive home everyday.
I was about 5 miles away from my exit and my truck started acting funny. I had no power and it would jerk really bad if i tried to go over 60. So then i realized i was about out of diesel. I mean it was super low. My truck kept going slower and slower untill I finally had to pull over. I pulled over and turned my truck off. Just for laughs I tried to turn it back on and it cranked right up. So i took off on the road again and i made it up to 70 mph no problem. After a mile or two it started doing the same thing again. So i got off the interstate and made it to a gas station. They didn't sell diesel so i got someone to bring me some. I fillled it up with 1gallon then limped it to a gas station that sold diesel. I put about a quarter tank in it and took off to the house. About a mile away from my house it started doing the same thing, but i made it. I thought i probable sucked some trash up or something. The truck would start up fine and idle good. I would rev it up and as the rpms came down they would go lower than usual then pick back up to a normal idle. So the next day I drove a different truck and went and bought a fuel filter and a jug of diesel kleen. I poured the whole jug of diesel kleen in it and changed the fuel filter. It was pretty dirty and had a few small bugs on it. I went to crank my truck and it cranked up just fine. I was letting it idle and it just died out of no where. It only ran for about 15 seconds give or take. So i thought maybe putting that much diesel kleen messed something up. So i filled up some more gas cans with diesel filled my truck up to about 3/4 of a tank and sucked the fuel out of the fuel filter housing and replaced it with diesel. Tried again and it still wont crank.
Here is a list of the things ive done since then.
Im getting power to my fuel pump. The one thats mounted on the frame under the driver door.
It only gets power when you are trying to crank the truck. It doesnt get power when the key is in the on position. I dont know if thats right or not.
Im not getting fuel to the injectors. Ive taken a line completely off and theres no fuel coming out when you try to crank it.
I am getting fuel to my filter filter housing. When you try to crank it it fills up with fuel. But not when the key is in the on position.
Im getting fuel to my t valve the one thats mounted by my thermostat.
fuel only comes out of the drain when you try to crank it. It is a steady stream. Fuel will not come out when the key is in the on position.
There is a FSD Heat Sync thats mounted on the side on my intake, I had some problems with the wires that ran to it before but i fixed that. Whoever installed it didnt splice the wires together good and a few came undone.
Ive checked all my fuses and they are all good.
Ive checked my grounds and battery connections they are all good.
Ive put brand new glow plugs in it a few months ago.
Its about 85* outside
I removed the vacuum pump along time ago.
Ive changed out all front end parts steering and suspension.
New alternator, and harmonic balancer pulley
New starter
New hydro boost and maser cylender
Ive replaced alot of things.
Im trying to slowly make this truck like new again

So Is my IP bad?
I dont want to go buy a new one unless I have to because of how expensive they are.
Any help would be appreciated, I tired to be as descriptive as possible if you need any more information just ask. Thanks everyone in advance.

first thing I would do is jumper the LP so it runs all the time and then out of the water drain T run out a couple of gallons and watch the flow. It's possible you have a plugged pickup sock in the tank. You also said you had bugs in the fuel filter, was the fuel discolored? Slimy? etc. Also the LP on 94-95 only run when there's fuel pressure, if it was mine I'd either build or buy a relay harness that allows it to prime during wait to start (glow plugs). If your fuel flow slows down when your pumping fuel out the drain T there's also screen in the fuel filter manager that can plug. Also there's a last ditch screen on the IP inlet.

first thing I would do is jumper the LP so it runs all the time and then out of the water drain T run out a couple of gallons and watch the flow. It's possible you have a plugged pickup sock in the tank. You also said you had bugs in the fuel filter, was the fuel discolored? Slimy? etc. Also the LP on 94-95 only run when there's fuel pressure, if it was mine I'd either build or buy a relay harness that allows it to prime during wait to start (glow plugs). If your fuel flow slows down when your pumping fuel out the drain T there's also screen in the fuel filter manager that can plug. Also there's a last ditch screen on the IP inlet.
Ill run a jumper to the LP and watch my flow and get back with you. And it was only discolored due to the whole thing of diesel Kleen I put in it. It was kinda a neon color. It wasnt slimy.

Your a genius. I ran a jumper to the fuel pump, pumped a gallon or two out. It was coming out nice and steady. When i was done i put the fuel i pumped out back in the tank, and while i had the jumper still hooked up i primed the system. I loosened the fuel filter bleeder for half a second and made sure fuel came out then i loosened my t valve for half a second and made sure no air was trapped. Then i jumped in my truck and it took her a second and she fired up. I let her idle untill it came up to temp then i took her for a test ride for about 15 mins. Surprisingly she has never drove that good. It seemed faster. Ill post a update tomorrow when i get off work. I got a 45 min drive there and the same back. Thanks for your help again!

We are all kinda proud of AK Driver- he is a genius.

Welcome to the forum. There is a TON of info here to get lots of extra life from your rig and save $ long term doing it.

There's about a dozen things you can do for improvements, but 1 step at a time, so stick around.

We are all kinda proud of AK Driver- he is a genius.

Welcome to the forum. There is a TON of info here to get lots of extra life from your rig and save $ long term doing it.

There's about a dozen things you can do for improvements, but 1 step at a time, so stick around.
Thanks I plan on it. Is there a thread anywhere that links you to a few good mods that arnt to expensive that I could do? Im always working on my 6.5 just because I can, mainly preventive maintenance. I just want to learn more about my diesel, and try to get the most life out of it that I can.

Sounds like your OPS is dead or dying. OPS=oil pressure sender, that's what controls the LP I misspoke earlier and typed fuel pressure. That's why it so important to do the relay harness, also if it won't run good without your LP working it kinda speaks to the health of the IP. Should run fine without the LP but it's very hard on the IP.

#1 thing you should do is replace engine oil cooler hoses. They are held into the block fitting by basically a paperclip, the crimped rubber hose is known to come apart too. Either one lets go and you lost an engine!
2nd inspect harmonic balancer. If it lets go you lost an engine. Replace if rubber band is cracked, budging... I have the FluidDamper on my site too.
After those you can get into LP upgrade, exhaust, intake.....the list will go on and on. I recommend you just buy one of each on my site just to be safe ;)

Given the notation of bugs in the fuel, for grins consider putting some bio-bor in the tank to get rid of any algae; when that tank is empty, change the filter again.

After that, make sure to add a healthy amount of lube to the fuel if it is not already part of the plan.

Welcome to TTS!

#1 thing you should do is replace engine oil cooler hoses. They are held into the block fitting by basically a paperclip, the crimped rubber hose is known to come apart too. Either one lets go and you lost an engine!
2nd inspect harmonic balancer. If it lets go you lost an engine. Replace if rubber band is cracked, budging... I have the FluidDamper on my site too.
After those you can get into LP upgrade, exhaust, intake.....the list will go on and on. I recommend you just buy one of each on my site just to be safe ;)
About the harmonic balancer. It's been about six months ago but my truck started making a a bad clanking noise and I couldn't find where it was coming from for the life of me. After about a month I finally found out it was the harmonic balancer pulley. The rubber was split all the way around. It would spin untill it caught a bolt then just keep spinning. I replaced it ASAP and haven't had a problem since then. I haven't had any problems yet but I hope I didn't mess anything up. I looked everywhere for the noise and couldn't find where it was coming from so I took it to a shop and they told me it was coming from inside the motor. So I finally broke down and started taking things apart and it was indeed the pulley. I'll get on changing the oil cooler hoses next. Thanks for the response.

I had pulley let go on me. Only made noise when AC was on, so I thought it was the compressor. Replaced it and still had the noise, it was the pulley. Expensive mistake for me.

If the pulley goes the balanced is usually not far behind. When the pulley lets go it can tear up some stuff- but when the balancer goes it usually snaps the crank.

Also WTS priming must be built into the harness as I build it. Can't be added later as its not a separate harness.

Back