• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel problems

Mousie2004

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2500 HD Duramax LLY stock truck with 65000 miles. I am having a problem with the fuel. Cranked the truck on Saturday and it run ok then it was like it was running out of fuel. Cranked it back up and it run fine. Drove the truck to town on Sunday stopped at the hardware store truck would not crank. After it sat about 5 minutes it cranked and ran for about 2 miles then shut off. I raised the hood and pumped the fuel primer tight it ran about 2 miles. I had to pump up the fuel primer every 2 miles all the way home. Fuel tank is full. I purchased a new primer pump and filter same situation. Any ideas.

Look for wet spots around the primer pump, filter, lines.
Look for any loose connections at fittings.
You have a “leak” somewhere, but keep in mind the leak may be sucking air in not fuel out.

These were no evidence of wet fuel around the primer pump I replaced. I will check out the fuel lines and fittings today back to the fuel tank.

Run all the fuel lines out today could not find any loose fittings. I replaced the fuel lines and added new worm clamps coming from the filter they looked a little cracked. Pumped up the New primer tight. (Is the primer pump supposed to stay tight after you pump it?) Truck cranked right up check engine light went off run just like it was going to be ok and after it ran a little while it shut down again. Everything is dry around the pump and filter housing and as much as I can see in the engine valley.

Attachments

• 20190826_165546.jpg
    20190826_165546.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190826_140711.jpg
    20190826_140711.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 6
Can't find any other hoses that look cracked. I wouldn't think the new primer pump would be bad it is just like the old one you pump it up tight and in a few minutes it is soft again. Should it stay firm?

The primer isn't going to stay hard, that's normal, but it should get stiff after 1-2 pumps. These systems run under vacuum, so leaks normally don't show as it will suck air 8nstead of drip out. Many people will take a shop vac, switch it around to blow, and use that to slightly pressurize the tank to look for leaks.

I removed the new fuel filter assembly to check the gaskets they look good. Re installed and pumped the primer again the truck cranked and run fine for about 5 minutes then died. I have check engine light on not sure what that is I am going to purchase a OBD2 today and see what code it is. I will try the shop vacumn and see what I can find.

I have a 2004 2500 HD Duramax LLY stock truck with 65000 miles. "I am having a problem with the fuel." Any ideas.

Hit the "reset" button and start over. You have a problem with the truck "shutting off" and anything after that is simply a WAG. You made an assumption that it was x and this can blind you to the real problem while chasing your tail.

It could be electrical. It could be fuel. It could be water in fuel. It could be a clogged fuel filter. It could be gasoline in the fuel. I hope you keep records/receipts of the last place you got fuel.

Did you install a new fuel filter? Can you cut the old one open and check it for problems? Does the fuel smell like gasoline? Any water come out of the filter drain?

No, the WIF light is an example of an unreliable bad joke.

Bad joke and an air leak... I have had the WIF sensor leak on plastic body WIX fuel filters. This caused a low rail pressure code and limped the truck at WOT. Fuel filter heads crack, but, IMO this causes a no or hard start condition.

Rant: By forcing the truck down the road 2 miles at a time you could be forcing muck gasoline/water/bugs through the fuel system and costing yourself a big pile of cash in a ruined fuel system. The starter and batteries don't like this extra cranking. New Vehicles are recalled nowadays for engine shutdown so I politely as possible suggest next time one call the damn hook and get the vehicle to where it's safe to work on. AAA, cell phone co, insurance co: all offer towing plans that take the single tow bill sting away. Lots of people get killed on the side of the road by others texting, drunk, etc. If the engine/vehicle was "expendable" due to an emergency or survival situation please accept my apologies.

Hit the "reset" button and start over. You have a problem with the truck "shutting off" and anything after that is simply a WAG. You made an assumption that it was x and this can blind you to the real problem while chasing your tail.

It could be electrical. It could be fuel. It could be water in fuel. It could be a clogged fuel filter. It could be gasoline in the fuel. I hope you keep records/receipts of the last place you got fuel.

Did you install a new fuel filter? Can you cut the old one open and check it for problems? Does the fuel smell like gasoline? Any water come out of the filter drain?

No, the WIF light is an example of an unreliable bad joke.

Bad joke and an air leak... I have had the WIF sensor leak on plastic body WIX fuel filters. This caused a low rail pressure code and limped the truck at WOT. Fuel filter heads crack, but, IMO this causes a no or hard start condition.

Rant: By forcing the truck down the road 2 miles at a time you could be forcing muck gasoline/water/bugs through the fuel system and costing yourself a big pile of cash in a ruined fuel system. The starter and batteries don't like this extra cranking. New Vehicles are recalled nowadays for engine shutdown so I politely as possible suggest next time one call the damn hook and get the vehicle to where it's safe to work on. AAA, cell phone co, insurance co: all offer towing plans that take the single tow bill sting away. Lots of people get killed on the side of the road by others texting, drunk, etc. If the engine/vehicle was "expendable" due to an emergency or survival situation please accept my apologies.
The first time I replaced the fuel filter the "O" ring stayed with the old filter and I didn't notice it. It acted like what you are describing. I was at home and realized there was a leak at the filter and fixed it right away.

Worked on diesel construction machinery most of my life I never seen anything as strange as a this Duramax I purchased new in 2004. I removed the new filter to check the o rings, I know it was a new assembled unit but you never know and all was ok. The old filter, primer pump and fuel I first removed were all clean no water or grime. I use fuel from my own 500 gallon tank that is filtered. Fuel gage was like on empty and the light on when I started it yesterday(has a full tank) but now back to normal I replaced all the stepper motors last year. I did use air to pressurize the fuel tank and could not find any leaks. I went threw the wiring harness as best as I could and could not find any broken wires or where plastic has rubbed through. Truck has not seen any mud or abuse only use it to pull a 33 ft. camper. So I pump the fuel back up crank the truck and it runs fine so I am waiting on to die like it normally does it doesn't. I let it run for about 30 minutes no problem so I take a 6 mile drive then up and down the road still running ok. Idiot light is still on when I try to check it I get a link error. Wondering if its electrical and when its going to leave me on the side of the road. Thankful for all your help but I may be back.

Back