• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Gauge

I set mine with the inst. cluster in the dash. Just had the cover off. Had the tank full. Set the needle just a bit past full. Then put the plastic cover on.

Thee reason I was resetting it was because I replaced the diesel fuel gauge with one from a gas truck. Works fine.

I found the ground. On my burb it is on the frame rail back by the rear bumper. I didn't clean it yet, but I found it.

Actually when it is unplugged it registers full.

Sorry for the bad advice. I have the dual tank module, and I know for a fact that I have my purple wire grounded to my frame to make my factory gauge read 3/4 tank (FULL SIDE) without it grounded it would read beyond empty.

Perhaps the dual tanks w/balance modules are different, or perhaps mine is just possesed as I gave up on the factory dash gauge all together and went aftermarket. But that purple wire is grounded right where my Walbro is grounded to the same bolt to the frame to make it read on the full side just for cosmetic purposes so at a quick glance it looks like I have 3/4 tank of fuel, not empty. But once again, my working fuel gauge is mounted on top of the dash, a aftermarket unit.

Like Matt my 'real' fuel gauge is on top of the dash and reads something useful specifically gallons! Useful for the aux tank and knowing how far you can go for the cheapest diesel at a known MPG. (Below 10MPG towing this info is critical.)

Reprogramming this fuel computer from a 2008, well the 2008 goes the other way for gauge readings. Likely the change is for emissions reasons on gas units because you can not run the evaporative emissions test on a empty tank. So open sensor or wire voids this test and trips a code. Little standardization and diesel gauges follow the trend at GM.

Back