• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Filter Manager Seal Kit

chi2

Reaction score
I need to buy a seal kit for my fuel filter manager. SS Diesel has the kit, and it is a reasonable price, but their shipping prices are really high. Regular shipping was more than my order total, and this was for an order glow plug terminal connectors and fuel filter gaskets & fuel filter screen- very light stuff! The 2 day shipping was about three times as much as my order!!

I have not been able to find the kit through other vendors' websites. I did a search, and members (here at at the DP) mentioned going to hydraulic shops to match the seals, but I really do not have any shops close to my location (and I'd rather mail order the parts).

Does anyone know an online vendor who sells the kit? Additionally, I would like to buy glow plug connectors while I'm at it (again, SSD has them, and I couldn't find them on the usual, rock auto/gmparts/checker/etc.).

Thanks. Jon

Subtotal: $20.97
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $26.21
Total: $47.18

Our local GMC dealer wanted 24.00 for the filter manager replacement kit (basically, two rubber seals). Thought I'd try to look around at other options.

Jon

call them up...sometimes you can get businesses to forgo their exorbitant shipping and just mail it priority mail anywhere from $4.80 flat rate envelope to $10.95 Large flat rate box...

SSD generally does not alter it's shipping policy to benefit the customer, go to GM get the pns, or call a Stanadyne dealer, that is who makes them anyway, and with pn do a part search on the web, or bite bullet get a set from GM or Stanadyne dealer difference between local buy and SSD if you take out shipping is $5, is that really a big deal ??? you can buy 2 orings cheaper, but unless you have dimensions, you'll have to buy "official part" at OEM set price.

FYI: for anyone interested in buying a new fuel filter manager (FFM), I just spoke with Bill Heath and they sell the whole unit for $140 (it is not listed on their website), which is about $100 less than the dealership price. It is a great deal.

The guys at Heath reported that many people who install new seals in FFM's are only buying a small amount of time before the old FFM leaks again. Their take on the issue is that over time the FFM metal looses material b/c of corrosion, and the seals (new or otherwise) simply cannot seat properly.

I have not read any reports about this on the DP or here, and wondered if anyone who replaced the seals can support this.

Thanks.

Jon

PS: I'm inclined to buy a new FFM just b/c Bill is the patient knowledgeable guy that he is, and took the time to explain it all to me. Still, the difference btw 20 worth of o-rings and 160 (shipping) worth of new FFM is quite large. He did,however, convince me to order their performance chip, so I'm not so pressed to add another 160.00 bucks to the bill! :)

One of the things I've noticed with SSD's shipping, is that if you purchase on line, they round up on the UPS only shipping making it a lot higher than it should be. I'd call them to place the order and see how much for shipping that way. Providing you're in the US. I've heard that UPS likes to stick it to the Canadians.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I figured that r&r of these is not too difficult, so I'm going with the cheap way first,and then if it doesn't work out I can just replace with one of Heath's.

I'll try to document the process/take some pictures for the site.

Jon

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Yeah I'd have to side with TD on this. I replaced my orings with ones I matched up at the local hydrualic shop. Not because I was too cheap for GM but because I wanted Viton for future possibe Biodiesel use. They were less than 5$ IIRC and probably better quality than GM. No leaks so far.

That is other thing you can do is remove old ones and go to hyd shop for replacements, Viton is better all round for this application as the buna rubber from GM gets hard and that is why they leak over time even with Nr 2 Diesel

leaking FFM heater

OK, so I finally have some time to fix my leaky fuel filter manager (FFM) and I now find that the FFM heater unit is leaking through a deteriorated rubber seal that keeps the wires in the unit.

From what I can see, the FFM heater needs to be replaced (the rubber seal is not a replaceable item). SSDS sells the heater alone for $25 more than Heath sells a whole new FFM unit, so I think if I cannot find a heater for less money, I might just go with the new unit.

Any ideas about where to buy a cheap FFM heater?

Also, the second picture shows the crud that I found inside the FFM. It is mostly rust and metallic flakes. I've never really inspected the inside before. Is this a normal amount of junk?

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 34
That is alot of junk inside of that! But it is the bottom of a filter housing.
This makes me want to go and check mine out.

Mine never looked like that. However I see you are running Bio diesel which loosens up and crud in the tank form what I have read not to mention that could be what ate your fuel manager. From what I have read(not personal experience) that stuff is not kind to rubber.

It looked to me like the FFM heater wires were stretched too far and that is what caused the rubber wire seal to rip/pop out of the housing (could have been the PO, or it could have been when I pushed the unit out of the way during my intake swap).

I have heard that biodiesel can loosen sediment up from the tank, and also that it is harder on regular rubber fuel lines; however, I've only been running bio for about 4 months. If it can eat away rubber in 4 months then I'm really going to be up the creek :eek:10:

Jon

clean it up with acetone, and see if red RTV silicone will re-seal it oh BTW I took some old orings to local hydraulic shop they didn't have viton, buna is what was in there from GM and at $4.80 per set I bought 2 sets of the bunas

clean it up with acetone, and see if red RTV silicone will re-seal it oh BTW I took some old orings to local hydraulic shop they didn't have viton, buna is what was in there from GM and at $4.80 per set I bought 2 sets of the bunas

I got mine at the PArker Store. Guy said they were viton.

Back