• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Filter Change

If it's anything like the older trucks, just pull out the Passenger Side Battery, and you'll have all the room you need.

The way I do it is to partially drop down the passenger side fender liner. It is only a couple of screws and one of those plastic clips and depending on how big you are you should be able to reach it. Once you drop the fender liner you can reach in with both hands disconnect the WIF sensor and spin the filter off from there with very little spillage.

The way I do it is to partially drop down the passenger side fender liner. It is only a couple of screws and one of those plastic clips and depending on how big you are you should be able to reach it. Once you drop the fender liner you can reach in with both hands disconnect the WIF sensor and spin the filter off from there with very little spillage.

thanks. my only concern is how long is that liner going to last taking it off/on. I'm sure we take care of it better than paco in the service department. thoughts?

I go at it from the liner.

Need to get a few more of those push-in plastic screw-rivet things. . . I seem to break one or lose one every time.

yah i just did mine not to long ago and i got at it through the pas side fender liner. seemed to be the easiest way to do it. i took mine all the way off and yah them plastic clip things suck i got them all out and as usual the last one i went to take off broke but it only takes minutes to do if you take off that way

thanks. my only concern is how long is that liner going to last taking it off/on. I'm sure we take care of it better than paco in the service department. thoughts?

Actually the liner seems pretty strong for being plastic so no real worries there. The only problems I've had so far are the pesky plastic clips mentioned by others and the screws that hold the liner in there. I see you live in wisconsin so your probably no stranger to road salt. Just be carefull when putting the screws back in that hold the liner up. I had one break on me the last time I changed mine.

The liner itself will last, but like it was already said, the plastic clips aren't gonna last at all.

Taking out the battery is literally a 1 minute job. Un-bolt the pad holding it down, un-bolt + & -, slide Battery forward and inch or 2, and lift it out. Done.

Me too...:Chevy_anim:

I loosen the filter (by hand) and disconnect the WTF sensor from above, then lift the corner of the fender liner over the upper control arm enough to get my hand in there, take off the filter and pull it out. Install the new one the same way and only tighten it down by hand. No pulling the clips out, no bending ac lines, no cussing, etc for me this way.

I loosen the filter (by hand) and disconnect the WTF sensor from above, then lift the corner of the fender liner over the upper control arm enough to get my hand in there, take off the filter and pull it out. Install the new one the same way and only tighten it down by hand. No pulling the clips out, no bending ac lines, no cussing, etc for me this way.

X2...In addition, I put a Zip-Lock bag around the filter, seal it shut when I unsrew it off the head, and let it drop onto the frame.

X2...In addition, I put a Zip-Lock bag around the filter, seal it shut when I unsrew it off the head, and let it drop onto the frame.

that works good as long as the WIF sensor doesn't poke a hole in your bag, then its kind of pointless.

I use the big heavy duty freezer zip lock bag for the last 3 filter changes, no holes from sensor, no mess and wonder why I didn't use it the first time I saw a post on this suggestion a few years back. Also Hoot had something at one time where he change out the plastic fender locks for metal ones that snapped in and out or locked, not sure but that looked like the way to go if you want to remove the fender lining. I just pull the lineing aside and when putting the filter in have my wife guide it while I push up from the bottom. Remember to make sure the old rubber o ring and rubber seal are out or you can't get the new ones on.

I must have more room in mine because I just reach in unplug the WIF sensor and then use one of those plastic strap wrenches to loosen the filter. Then use both hands to turn off and lift it out. Take of the WIF sensor, put it on the new one and reinstall the same way. I never remove inner fender or battery.

This can also be done at the side of the road in winter when your filter has iced up. Don't ask how I know.

I can get at mine without taking anything else apart too...but just barely.
I use a good step stool that is stable to get myself in a good position, and slip the strap around it. The issue I have is there is just barely enough clearance for the strap and I need those spacers to move the filter out just a tad.
Thanks for the reminder...it's about that time to take care of that. After the last time, I swore I was gonna fix it.

Anyone remember what bolt sizes those were? I could just use washers to move it out I'd imagine.

I have a spare WIF sensor. When I take a filter off I just screw in the new filter with the sensor already in it. It saves a little time of getting the old sensor off even though I have the sensor wrench. Then I take my time and clean off the senor that came off the old filter.

Back