• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel additive question

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
Other than PS or some other additive to increase cetane, what are you guys running for injector lubrication? I've search here and found that some are running 2-stroke oil (same as what I run in my 6.5) but the amounts seem to vary - from 8 oz per fillup to 1 gallon :yikes:

I read in last months Diesel Power mag that they suggested auto tranny fluid.
Just looking for some opinions and mix ratios

Thanks
Smitty

You will get away with a lot that we can't. Smitty, just because you have DB2... our DS4s optic sensor limits what we can use, for fear of discoloration.

I know a lot of guys - myself, Turbine Doc, Bill Heath among them - that gave up on 2stroke+cetane enhancer and are just running nondetergent 30wt motor oil ... about 1 litre per full tank. The cheapest stuff we can find at the dollar store, walmart, etc. I've sure been happy with it... but about every 5 tanks or so I run a couple big glugs of Howes through it too, just to grab any bugs or water that might be floating around.

You can't be too sure about your fuel.

Yes, the d-max - that's why I posted in the d-max section ;)
Sorry, I guess I should have stated for the d-max.

Man, this one got moved also.....guess I need to read the "Posting for dummies" book to find out how a thread related to fuel tank size or coolant stays, but my fuel additive question gets the boot... lol

First, how are you liking that programmer?

These days, I'm really not sure on fuel additives. When I was living up in northern NY State, anti gelling fuel additive was essential because the truck would've never started. I used to run Stanadyne to keep it from gelling. Power services worked too but for some reason Stanadyne was always what we used.

When I moved down here, I pretty much stopped using anything. There really isn't much need to. ATF will work to lube the fuel up as well as 2-stroke but it just isn't needed in my opinion. A lot of the guys who make big power and sled pull or drag race use ATF. Just get into the habit of changing your fuel filter every 10k miles.

I'm on my second tank with the +80 tune. Just been driving like an old man to see what kind of mileage I can expect....though I did have to get on it one time in traffic - holy cow! this thing will fly! I'm guessing that the on board fuel manager is no longer accurate with a tune. Before running with the tune, it would always show my average was always about 1 mpg low......at fill up, it would show I was averaging 16.5 but hand calculating was always 17.4, 17.7 etc. Now with the tune it showed 18.2 on the first tank and actual was 16.8. The current tank is showing 19.2 mpg and even though I can tell I'm getting better mileage (pre tune I would get roughly 100 miles per quarter tank - so at half tank I'd be right at 200 miles on the odo.), I don't think I'm getting that good of mileage(19+). While driving yesterday I was at 230 miles when the needle first touched the half way mark.

Hope to be going to Alabama sometime this month, so I get to test it on the highway.

Still amazed at how much "peppier" it feels at lower rpms.

Yes, the d-max - that's why I posted in the d-max section ;)
Sorry, I guess I should have stated for the d-max.

Man, this one got moved also.....guess I need to read the "Posting for dummies" book to find out how a thread related to fuel tank size or coolant stays, but my fuel additive question gets the boot... lol
Depends on the weather :D sometimes we catch them & move them sometimes we don't also with some of the 6.5 stuff it's a tough call because the older platform is different enough to not really fit in a generic posting area, we asked several times if the guys wanted to sub part out the 6.5 area like Dmax and pretty much got the sound of chirping crickets or no answers, the no's drownded out the sound of the crickets

Sorry Smitty - the confusion here is my fault... I responded to the post without looking at which section it was in, and I knew you had a sweet '92 6.5TD.

The content still applies, though... you'll also get away with a lot more with your DMax than we can with a DS4... <grin>

I run about 8 ounces of Power Service (gray bottle) during the summer with every fill up. Standadyne is also a very good additive. I used it until it became hard to find on the local level.

I don't think you will see a ton of improvement in fuel mileage with the tuner. I have loads of fuel data and I have seen only around 1 mpg increase. The fun factor also makes it hard to see any gains......):h

I didn't actually tune mine until I hit 2500 miles. I did my first service and changed all the fluids and then tuned it right to the 85 tune and left it alone. The best I got was 23.1 at 70mph, all highway. This was with a cat back, modified air box, 85 tune and 285's. I don't bother calculating anything anymore. I just don't drive enough to care, nor have I used any additives in a while.

Much like the 6.5 though, the fuel is what makes the difference. Just find a station that goes though a lot of fuel and try and stay away from the mom and pop shops where the fuel can sit for weeks and weeks before they replace it. You probably know but algae forms quickly in diesel fuel tanks so just keep your filter changed every 10k miles will help prevent that.

I use PS most of the time in summer and all the time in winter. One of the best things you can do is run B5-B20 for the lubricity but the tradoff is you can lose 1/2 mpg or so due to lower cetane of BIO.

thanks for the replies - all good info.

Yeah, I buy my fuel at Super-Duper Wally World 7 miles from my house. The they go through a ton of diesel fuel...so, as least I know it's always fresh.

The article I was reading was specifically talking about the lack of lubrication that ULSD provides... and suggested running a quart of tranny fluid per tank for added lubrication for the fuel system.

Somebody on here had a spread sheet with lubrication properties for different fuel additives and IIRC Power Service failed in that regards with almost no lubrication benefit. (but it does do a nice job of boosting the cetane :) )

I've started running Chemsearch's Diesel Gaurd - which is similar to PS, but I've personally seen the results when I used it while working at a towing and recovery shop. Same results every time; start running it in a truck that had more than 25k miles and the fuel mileage would drop off for the first couple of tanks then it would go up. say, a truck consistently gets 10 mpg, first tank it would drop to at least 8 and would gradually get better. One of the F-800 flatbeds ran the same route for over two years; Gainseville, fl to Atlanta Ga, around 2-85 picking up repo's and then double loaded to Adessa Auctions in Jax FL, back to Gainesville.

Truck always got 10 mpg. After running Diesel Guard it consistently got 13.

Will see what happens in my d-max.

Depends on the weather :D sometimes we catch them & move them sometimes we don't also with some of the 6.5 stuff it's a tough call because the older platform is different enough to not really fit in a generic posting area, we asked several times if the guys wanted to sub part out the 6.5 area like Dmax and pretty much got the sound of chirping crickets or no answers, the no's drownded out the sound of the crickets

Yeah, I was just being funny, but I swear it's like a mod is watching for me to post something so they can move it.....and then chastise me publicly and privately in a PM. - .....still being funny.
You know, sometimes your question could be posted in several places and it's hard to decide "well, it's fuel related and fuel is IN the engine so maybe I can post it here in the LBZ engine section, oh, look there's one asking about fuel tank size - yeah, definitely should be safe to post here"........ lol

I run 8 oz. of either Stanadyne or Power Service along with 8-12 oz. of 2 stroke per tank full since new, and I have not had any problem as of yet. The new ULSD is a very "dry" fuel that needs some extra lubrication to keep everything slick inside the fuel system. I like using Howe's too in the winter.

I run 8 oz. of Stanadyne Performance Formula and 4 oz. of Stanadyne Lubricity Formula in each tank. I know a lot of guys run stuff like motor oil, ATF, 2-stroke, etc. and I guess as long as the filters, oil, and exhaust can handle whatever is left over from burning that stuff is ok. I'm at 70K + miles and no injector issues to date. Now I'm gonna look for some wood to knock on.... :)

Back