• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FSU Woes

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
After fixing my fsu float and leak at the fsu last weekend and 2 tanks later the guage just went to empty. It appears that my float has fallen off again. What is the deal? It is an after market fsu that I got from the same place as Tim did. It looks like the metal arm of the float clips in between a plastic c type clip. Any thoughts as to my problem.

Since no one has chimed in I have another question. I was thinking of using some jb weld, epoxy, or something similar that I can glue the metal arm of the fuel sending unit float and the plastic clips that won't break down while being soaked in diesel?

Mebbe the wire fell off, not the float..........................

It's brand new. I double checked the wire before and after I put it back in. It is good and solid. If the wire disco'd my guage would read full. It is currently stuck on empty. This is the 2nd time it has fallen off. There is only one way the the baffle fits and the fsu fits so I don't think the float arm would be hitting/bumping on the baffle.

I replaced the tank and FSU about 20 months ago. The original FSU was broken with the metal arm only partially attached into the C-clip and that explained the erratic nature of my fuel gauge. During the installation of the new unit, the cheap thing broke in the same spot (I really don't know what caused the break, maybe I breathed on it wrong:rolleyes:) so I fixed and reinforced it by wrapping copper wire around it as much as I could without impeding the movement. I completed the install and haven't had a problem since. Fuel gauge works fine!
If I was to do the R&R again and not break it, I would reinforce it anyway just so it wouldn't be an issue in the future.

Right - just seeing if you're awake - wire shorted to the chassis is also 0 fuel - unplug, see if goes to full................

Right - just seeing if you're awake - wire shorted to the chassis is also 0 fuel - unplug, see if goes to full................

It does go to full. Before it went to empty I filled up and the guage went to 5/8 full, then drove 100 miles and now its empty. That's why I think it fell off again.

Damn!

Here I thought you were talking about working on a float for the Florida State University (FSU) Homecoming parade. :biggrinjester:

Got'r done. I dropped the tank last night and the float came off again and so did the baffle. I think when the float comes of it allows the baffle to raise up off the studs and move freely. What I noticed is Where the float arm connects to there is a gap (Sorry I forgot to take pictures) that allows the float arm to seat in and to remove it. The gap is about the 1/2 full location so when the truck is 1/2 full and I hit a bump it probably pops off. Thanks to fysh guide I used some wire to wire it on. All good for now. we'll see if it can handle multiple fuel ups.

The damn gremlins are haunting my truck again. I thought I had the fsu issue finally licked but I guess not. I was driving today and the fuel gauge was at 1/2 no probs. Then my wife asked me to the store and I got in and the guage was empty. Went to the store and on the way back it was up to 1/2 again. I guess my wiring job wrapping the float on wasn't good enough. I either need larger guage wire or figure out some other way to make it stick.

Help is greatly appreciated.

The last few times I've driven the truck the fuel guage has fluctuated between 1/2 and empty. Either it is catching on the wires I used hold it on with or it is in the process of working it's way off.

Back