• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Front Bump Stops Crushed - Normal?? - How much to turn up TBs.

dka99burb

Reaction score
Still going thru my initial 'tune-up' with the purchase of the new-used truck. Shocks were crap. Rear bump stops look like they have never touched. Fronts are destroyed. Is this common? It does seem to point downhill but I thought that was normal for GM without being leveled.?. I plan to crank the torsion bars up. How much should I start with? I was thinking about 3 rounds = 1080 degrees of the bolt but I have never done it before.
Thoughts?

Bump stops on mine are like new. I cranked to have about 1/2" of downrake towards the front when new. Took 8-9 turns to get there. For starters get measurements, jack it up, crank 5 turns, drop it fast (to get it to settle), measure again and see where you are. Tweak from there and don't forget that corners are involved - ie: LF affects RR and RF affects LR. When you get where you want, take a short bouncy ride, re-check, tweak as needed and go directly to the alignment shop because it's gonna be way off and wander all over since the caster will be near neutral.

Don´t crank em up to much or the ride will be horrible. I tried to level my sub with the t/bars and the ride was so bad I retuned them to a couple of turns more than original.

The 800 series trucks are a lot more livable with cranked t-bars than the 400s

Just saw my new wheels visiting my brother. They look great! He thinks he found me 2 BFG ATs in 285-70-17 load range D cheap. Now I need to find two more.

Back