• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Freeze Plug frustration

marsman9

Reaction score
Wow a frustrating problem. I knocked a freeze plug in the coolant jacket in the rear of the engine a 350 GMC. I have a very powerful magnet that is a 1/4” wide and a 1” long. I attached it to the end of some needle nose pliers. The magnet grabbed the side of the block and came off the needle nose. Now I have a magnet and the plug inside the engine. To make a long story short I got an “S” hook and got both out. Then I dropped the S hook inside. No idea where inside the engine. Help!

Many people knock a bad freeze plug in and leave it. It is better to remove it so you were on the right track imo. But it isn’t the end of the world if it deteriorates in there. Maybe same for s hook.

what is the S hook made of? How big is it- diameter of material and height?
Which hole did you loose it in?

Ooook.. I have a solution..maybe..auto parts store has a flexible magnet stick. Should be able to fish it around in there and get the s hook..some like mine have retractable claws so once magnet grabs it claw will hold it while pulling it out..

Yeah, knock a new plug into the hole and runnnit.
Be sure to use some 220 grit paper and clean the hole real good, use some break and parts cleaner in there to, wipe it out real good with a rag.
I always coat the back side of the freeze plug, and the outside diameter with number 1 permatex that comes in a squeeze tube. A old timer mechanic once told me that that would keep the freeze plug from ever rotting out again. Also, coating the OD of the freeze plug and the ID of the block bore will keep the new FP from leaking.

Back