• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frame woes

Welcome to the forum @Jetro9

iirc most all the frames form 96 - mid 2000 should be the same. there might be some minor differences in frames going back to 88-95 but with some welding experience those too can be used. I could be wrong though. others should chime in soon to help!

Welcome-
The best knowledge on what old parts swap with what -used to be found at junkyards.
I could walk in and say I need X part for this kind of rig, and they could look it up (even back when it was books instead of computers) and tell me from year to year and other models what interchanged.

Calling and asking yards in your area might give you the answer - and of course if they have any and the price.
I realize it is on the wrong side of the world for ya, but since finding a frame near you probably has same issues- consider a trip out to the southwest. Southern Nv, Ca, most anywhere Az- rust is simply a thing we read about out here.

Do a vacation trip and bring a towbar…

Welcome to the forum number 9.
Rust free vehicles all over eastern side of Montana.
Might take some time to scout out a frame for a CC one ton.
If the frame You find would be for a short box, they can be extended.
Also, it might be possible that the frame from a Suburban might also fit.

This is the best of my knowledge, but not gospel, so verify via your own measurements if you think you find a match

the GMT400 88-98 platform had different cab and interior modifications over the years, but as far as I know the frames should be the same for each series. The GMT400 also ran into 2000/2001 and maybe as late as 2002, so don't limit your search to '98 and older.

The 1500 frame is different from the 2500 and 3500 frame

Very large differences in frames for 2wd vs 4wd. 3500HD trucks only came in 2wd

From what I've seen, the only difference in frames for 2500 and 3500 SINGLE rear wheel is the 3500 has more in the leaf pack or factory overload springs.

I have a wrecked '99 2500 reg cab long box single rear wheel here in the hedgerow. If you post your frame width, wheel base, and spacing for cab and bed mount locations, I could verify whether the dually frame is the same as a 2500/3500 frame

The cab & chassis dually frame is different than the K3500 dually- slightly longer wheel base and narrower frame overall. So be sure to avoid any cab & chassis frame

There are good frames that show up on Facebook Marketplace from time to time. Also scrappers who grab southern rust free parts and bring up here. I can post an ad for one such outfit based in PA. I know another fellow in Erie who deals exclusively with Chevy/GM salvage, can link him with you as well. What you're looking for is out there, just gotta dig around a bit.

@Jetro9 here is a marketplace ad for one of the scrappers I was talking about. Located more so in Northeastern PA, but he also gets frames not just beds and fenders. If you don't use facebook let me know and I can see about getting his number. Good luck and keep us posted

The frames between 2wd and 4wd are the same from the weld below the firewall to the rear. At least on the crew cabs. Crew cab frames are the same srw or drw. We have ground the weld out and swapped front sections to convert frames back and forth.
The 1/2 ton 4wd uses an 8.25 front differential where the 3/4 and 1 ton use a 9.25 front diff. Mounting points are different so they will not swap without a good bit of modification.

Lots of work to modify the GMT400 frame from LB to SB, due to where it needs to be cut (in the raise right behind the cab, but you may could move spring hangers, etc) Easier cutting the frame of the c/k r/v series.

The 3500HD frame from this era was a totally different animal. Dad bought one in 95.

I’ve owned probably a 1/2 dozen 1 ton crew cabs from this era, both single wheel and dual wheel, and a 2000 factory k2500 ccsb

Torsion bars can be different, rating wise between 3/4 and 1t

A factory CCLB 4wd srw frame I have. Have all the front suspension etc. stripped it to blast, then sold the GMT400s i had, so no longer going to use.

IMG_2530.jpeg

CC

Back