• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FlyWheel 6.2&6.5

valyidol

Reaction score
Hello! Sorry for my English. The Google helps me a little. Today I argued with my friend. He said that the flywheel 6.2 and 6.5 are different (trans TH400&4L80). He said that the balancers of the crankshafts with two-pieces oil seal and one-piece oil seal are different and therefore the weights on the flywheels are location differently. To compensate for vibrations. I said that the flywheels are the same and they are balanced separately from the crankshaft to the "0". And the weights of all flywheel are location differently. And the HB damper balances the crankshaft. Ho of us is right?
Thanks. Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me, pls.

Flywheel used here means flexplate. Manual transmissions have ~50 LB flywheels. Automatic trans have lightweight flexplates that flex with Torque Converter ballooning.

The Flywheel does have weights on it: They are all the same. 6.2, 6.5 same flywheel for automatics. They have nothing to do with the rear main oil seal. I have a 1993 one piece oil seal 6.5 flywheel on my 1985 rope seal 6.2. No difference.

The Harmonic Damper on the front of the engine is a damper only. The Damper does not have anything to do with balance.

The Vbelt damper for AC or serpentine belt damper on the front of the crankshaft doesn't have any balance weights.

Same one for both 6.2 and 6.5

WARNING- DANGER!!!
This part failing is #1 reason for broken crankshaft and block cracks!

Cheaper brands do not last long- most only 50,000 kilometers.
AC Delco is best low price option and good for 160,000 kilometer on safe side.

Very best choice is Fluidamper and good for over 800,000 kilometers. http://leroydiesel.com/products/fluid-damper-for-ds4-or-db2/

Whenever you replace the balancer, you replace the belt drive pulley also. Best option for that is this: http://leroydiesel.com/products/billet-crankshaft-pulley/
If you cannot buy from Leroy, find a source for fluid damper or buy both parts in AC Delco.

It reduces the harmonic and torsional vibrations of the crankshaft.

For some engines, not all, It is a counterbalance for the crankshaft. The difference is what is known as an internally balanced or an externally balanced System.

The Harmonic Damper on the front of the engine is a damper only. The Damper does not have anything to do with balance.

I think you'll find the harmonic balancer is part of the engine balance. It has a built in weight on one side so it's a dual purpose item

Back