• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

First Impressions of ATT

pipelinetrash89

Reaction score
Well guys, my truck has been in total parts for about a month now. I finally got around to putting it all back together tonight, I busted her off and let it warm up some and took it for a spin. I will have to say the first thing I noticed was the exhaust tone. This thing is LOUD!! It sounds just like my old 454 with straights on it. Second thing I noticed was that cruising at 55 I have 0 boost, and the RPMs dropped by right at 400. So I am VERY please with that :thumbsup: I know everyone wants to know if I could feel anymore power. Well honestly, no I didn't, not even alittle more. BUT, I did this for better mileage and pulling power. So we will see once I hook on to the new camper!

Well guys, my truck has been in total parts for about a month now. I finally got around to putting it all back together tonight, I busted her off and let it warm up some and took it for a spin. I will have to say the first thing I noticed was the exhaust tone. This thing is LOUD!! It sounds just like my old 454 with straights on it. Second thing I noticed was that cruising at 55 I have 0 boost, and the RPMs dropped by right at 400. So I am VERY please with that :thumbsup: I know everyone wants to know if I could feel anymore power. Well honestly, no I didn't, not even alittle more. BUT, I did this for better mileage and pulling power. So we will see once I hook on to the new camper!

What kind of tune are you using? If you have OBD1 we can talk. I have a tune that I know you will like.

You will notice same seat of the pants power for less boost and lower EGT's. Cannot tell which tranny and rear you have which will determine the cruising speed where the turbo just does not spool-up and you will have to kick it down to get boost. As Slim mentions, a tune also helps.

Example, with my 4L80E with 3.73's, at 55 mph the RPM's are around 1800 which is just not enough to get the ATT spooling, so I have to drop it to 3'rd to get the turbo over 2000 for it to really boost.

Noticed that the BD spool valve helps drop the useful RPM's down to ~1600 if you want to save-up for that mod.

What is your benchmark that you're comparing to?

If I compare my '99 with ATT and Heath GL4 ATT Tune to my son's with GM4 and 4 position Buddy Tune, there's no comparison even at the full race tune position on the '94. I assume the tunes are pretty close, but the difference is the ATT. The ATT simply curb stomps the stock GM turbo.

AK, I mean that at 55 before I was at 2400 RPM now I'm at 2000.

Slim I'm running a buddys 3 banger right now. It has plenty of fuel, cause I can black cloud a 4 lane intersection and get to 20lbs of boost without hesitation.

Big T, I've had the truck since it was bone stock. I went to a turbomaster and a tune, now it has ATT new DP and a new crossover (both were leaking pretty bad)

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not saying I'm not satisfied with it I just can't tell anymore get up and run with it. I wanted it mostly for pulling my camper, and I'm sure that it will pull it ALOT better then the GM did

So I can only assume you modified something else in the drive train as obviously the turbo didn't drop the rpms. Maybe you posted that info in another thread?

Nope, I didn't change anything other then the turbo and new downpipe and crossover. I also changed the oil cooler lines, so nothing major.

Buddy has pretty good tunes, not sure what dennis has cooked up. Either way the RPM's should stay the same unless shift points were changed on a 4l80 and for some reason you were in OD at 55 before.

Got any pictures of the install? Sorry for the short delay in getting the turbo shipped out.
RPMs should not have changed, maybe alittle less throttle for same speed?

Buddy has pretty good tunes, not sure what dennis has cooked up. Either way the RPM's should stay the same unless shift points were changed on a 4l80 and for some reason you were in OD at 55 before.

Didn't say mean to imply otherwise, just that what Dennis is working on is better, Dennis also had Buddy tune for a while and has gone even deeper into the program that Buddy has gone and for a significantly improved price point.

Buddy did change the shift points, but I've had the tune now for 4 months.

Leroy, I'm working on getting some pictures, but it seems everytime I try to upload I never can get them too. It was not a problem with some delayed shipping after me messing up with the oil cooler lines :mad2: ( still have small leak)

And as far as RPMs go, it's from the dash gauge. The next purchase of mine will be a scan tool. I put a new alternator on the same time I put on the tune. Brand new AC Delco unit, and I'm 99% sure it's working good cause I hooked a volt meter up and it shows 15 volt straight from the alternator. I'm up for a new tune, but I'm going to have to wait till I go back to work first. I took some time off to be with my wife and new baby girl. I know that the tune I have now if I leave it on stock, it doesn't have NEAR enough fuel. It will actually choke down around 2500 RPM just like the GM did.

Ahh new alternator did it have the correct size pulley ?

Did you measure old vs. new even in the AC Delco there have been some pulley sizing issues over the years, BTW tach signal is different from the voltage output and generally has no relation to the charging ability vs. rpm display on dash.

I'll almost quaranty the new alt does not have the diesel pulley. If you still have the old one put it on the new and I bet your RPM go's up 400.

On pics, I have to resize mine down first before the site will except them.

Back