• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Firewall and under hood heat and sound insulators?

Firewall and under hood heat and sound insulators?

• Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chevytrucksonly

Dixie Ridge Runner
Reaction score
The firewall heat/sound insulation is falling apart under the hood. I have found three products, but need to know if anyone has used them and would like your candid opinion.

Product Features
1) Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier
Aluminized Heat Barrier is made up of woven silica with a flexible aluminized finish; the highly reflective surface of the material is capable of withstanding radiant temperatures in excess of 2000 degrees Fahrenheit
The adhesive backed composite construction material can easily be applied to any surface or wrapped around a hose or wire to make a clean professional appearance.

2) Thermo-Tec 14100 24" X 48" Cool-It Mat
The Cool-It Mat is composed of resin-bonded silica blanketing insulation sandwiched between a mylar facing on one side and a foil facing on the other
The highly-reflective mylar reflects heat away from surfaces while the foil side is orientated away from the heat source to conduct any penetrating heat across its surface thus providing the ultimate in heat protection
The silica blanketing is a duel-density composite and is the main sound insulator; it is easy to trim and can be applied with the push-in fasteners provided or any weather strip adhesive

3)CSI 25070 Heat Shield Insulation: 4 ft x 6 ft
Helps to eliminate heat, cold, moisture and noise
Consists of two sheets of pure industrial grade aluminum laminated to fiber tech padding
Great for floorboards, engine compartments, door panels, etc

Thanx
MDS

I put a new OEM one back in my BURB. I believe it was about $125 and is form fitted and dropped right into place. I did have the engine out when I did it though. The new ones are thinner than the 95 mat was, but works really well.

I put a new OEM one back in my BURB. I believe it was about $125 and is form fitted and dropped right into place. I did have the engine out when I did it though. The new ones are thinner than the 95 mat was, but works really well.

Where did you get it? I would like to get a new one, but haven't found a part number anywhere.

I put a layer of the self-adhesive composite material w/ foil facing on my firewall. Also reinstalled the original thicker original material around the bell-housing tunnel - however it was torn up enough that I held it together with foil tape. I added a layer of the Thermotec 14100 material around the bellhousing tunnel

This method does dampen the sound some, but I suspect a bit less than the original firewall sound insulation. The original black insulation was torn up/torn off & what was left looked terrible. My theory is that OEM black mesh material captures some of the sound energy in it's fibers & dumps that energy as heat. Where as the foil surfaces reflect a good bit of the sound around.

The idea behind the composite materials is that when stuck to a metal surface, they add weight & a little additional stiffness - both which help dampen any vibrations the panel picks up.

The dual density idea probably has some merit also, as the more differing layers sound's gotta travel thru, the less sound likely to make it thru.

Would expect one of the best setups would be the aftermarket materials applied directly to the firewall, then top it with the OEM black fiber/mesh - if it's still available.

Thermotec 14100-1.jpg

Can't remember how good the product pictures were in representing what you actually get. Here's a pic of some left over Thermotec 14100

Something that I was worrying when I got the Suburban. Right now, I am just leaving it alone though.

I know nothing about those things that you put in the poll.

Back