• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

finally scored a diesel Suburban!

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
Just had to share this here, because no one else gives a damn, but I know I can count on you all to be happy for me. Been wanting a Sub for a long time, and recently thinking about retiring my old workhorse 97 dually.

Started looking for a diesel Sub and only one on CL, all of a sudden a second one appeared for only $1500! 94 k2500 4x4.

Immediately get hold of the guy and ask whats wrong with it, supposedly needs rear shocks and a swaybar endlink.

Has new batteries, a new brake line and runs and drives perfectly. So now I gotta see this. Next town over, I fly over there because I'm afraid it's going to go quick.

No rust or rot or dents, it's black like I like. He told me the exterior was great but the interior was pretty poor. I checked it out and I don't think it's bad at all, the drivers seat is beat on the edge like all trucks, not as bad as my 97 is though.

And it stinks of cigarettes.

But it's leather with third row, and the oddest interior color.

I believe it's called "oak", my friend had a Tahoe with it, only time I've ever seen it.

I kind of like it, it's different and looks ok. Batteries are new but never heard of the brand, look like something from the dollar store.

Had to jump it, but once it started (below 20 degrees out), it didn't smoke much and sounded really good. Motor is a Jasper replacement engine, doesnt know how many miles are on it.

I can look it up by serial number though through Jasper. I've had some experience with Jasper, they are good stuff imo. Truck itself has 177k. Doesn't look it.

Has a remote mounted pmd on a cooler, but it's mounted to the intake.

All I need is an extension harness to get it into the bumper where it belongs. All four tires are good, but one is a spare with different tread. I can already picture it with 2001-up hd alloy wheels and some nice rubber.

It has a leak from the t-stat housing, someone tried permatexing it but it's still leaking. I couldnt see any cracks, he said it's just the gasket. Not too worried, because I'll be changing it over to 97 style cooling anyway.

I forgot to chekc the vin to see if it is F or S, but I think it's F. Intake looked like F intake anyway. And it's got a 14 bolt in the back, with a really big rugged looking receiver hitch.

Only rust I could find is on the rear bumper, not bad yet but it's going.

So I don't know much about the Subs, seems like I've heard they have 3.42s and 4l60s, is that right? Think with the right mods it'll pull my camper? I know about the airbox and the cooling system, anything else I need to know? I can't say as I'm crazy about the 94 dash, but I'll live with it. At least it's got the nice grille like my 97 has.

Oh, I forgot the best part: I don't really have $1500 kicking around right now, at least not until I sell the dually. So I asked him if he'd trade for a sled or a 4 wheeler. He says, no, but I'll take a thousand for it.

He said that's all he gave for it from a family member, but he doesn't need it, can't use it and needs money a lot more than he needs a big truck taking up space in the driveway.

So, I put down some money and bought it right there, gonna pick it up after I cash some more plowing checks. So I really feel like I scored here.

WOOO HOOOO!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn for that price, I'd cash advance a credit card. Nice. If you have issues let me know. I have GMTDScan. I assume it's a 2500 Burb and 8 lug. I love mine and although I have not tried it yet assume it will tow a camper fine but yes you should upgrade the cooling system. You can get a cable from Leroy. I got one with no issues. Sounds like it has SS Diesels cooler which is an excellent cooler, just bad mounting spot. I kinda like the old style interior. I always found the seats to me more comfortable. I don't know what my ratio is in my burb but my Tahoe had 3.42s and I think the burb is higher. Feels more like 4.10s to be honest. They don't seem to put tags on them anymore and short of pulling the diff cover I don't know how to tell.
You have been around long enough to know what to check..
Oil cooler lines
Starter Bracket
Grounds and terminals...
Can't go wrong for that price at all.

I'm real glad it's 4l80e, I know what abuse those will take. It's a 2500, and asfik all diesel subs were 8 lug. I bet with a 97 airbox and cooling, an att, kojo and 4 inch exhaust it will tug my 5 ton camper easy. If not, I've still got the 82 crewcab 454 for that.

For $1,000 that's a major score.

Most likely 4.10 rear end.

Leather interior does not excite me in a truck, but to each his own.

It will have the pancake AC compressor on the passenger side. They suck. Need to keep them charged or they burn up the bearings. Uhhh they just burn up anyways. Get a lifetime warranty compressor installed at the dealer.

Probably will need to replace brake lines, rebuild front end, new front wheel bearings, ball joints, etc.

If the rear bumper is rusted, you most likely will have some rust on the lower edge of the rear doors.

If replacing the single T-stat, sell it here. Many will want it.

Buy and install the Heath cooling mods: water pump, fan, etc.

Buy the Diamond Eye 4" turbo back exhaust. Buy a mandrel bent crossover.

Buy the Buddy ECM programmer with at least 4 programming options.

ATT, ATT, ATT.

If you like your ATT, you CAN switch it with the GM4 on your new burb before selling the Dually. Even though your Dually "had" a GM8 a GM4 will bolt on and work fine. You will need a TM though for it. GM8 TM no good.

Congrats!!!!! Sounds like you stole it for the price. You are going to post pics aren't you?

I've had/have 2 Burbs now one a body donor was a K2500 with 3:73s, one that got the body is a C1500 with 3:42s body was jacked up so bought the rolling chasis K2500 for $1350 you'll like the burb's range and full size "family truckster" comfort. All burbs got the 8 lugs and F engines I believe, and also I think most if not all of the C1500s were 3:42 geared, K'd burbs got 3:73 or 4:10s

Killer find to be sure

All diesel burbs are 8 lug, "F" engines and all have the 4L80E trans. 2500 diesel burbs can have 3.73 or 4.10 axles, I have heard of a couple of burbs badged as 2500 but they had 3.43 axels, this is vary rare. Being that it is a 94 it is OBD 1 where as your 97 is OBD 2 so no programming switch there :-(. Your ATT would switch over as stated above but you might want a KOJO tune for OBD 1 for best results with 4in exhaust, but you already know all about that.

The diesel burb is truly one of the greatest vehicles I have ever owned, good mileage and very comfortable. Great find! ENJOY!

Brian

Nice score! Im going to have to agree with you on the pre-95 interiors. Never been my favorites, but as kenny said the seats are much more comftorable. And the "oak" color you speak of...I think I have a replacement lower dash panel in that color if you ever so happen to need one. haha it's new in the box! And come to think of it, I dont think ive ever seen another truck with the color.

I'm very happy for you, DetroitDan. I am very happy with my Sub. It's done everything I've ever asked it to do, mostly hauling family around on road trip and camping trips, but it is reliable and pretty easy on the fuel. Easy to repair, parts are reasonable.

The only complaint I've ever had on it is that it is pretty loud (i.e. road noise and engine noise). I've considered doing a 'sound proofing' on it, just to have a quiet rig on the freeway.

Great find, and congrats.

-Rob :)

Color me jealous. I don't care for pre-95 interiors, but if it were a 6.5 'Burb, I'd take it. The Mrs isn't onboard, yet, so every time a situation arises where we could have used 8 or 9 seats, I make sure to point it out.

Harder than h*ll to find out here, though. I found one a couple of months ago that was missing the HB and the guy selling it wouldn't budge on the price. Crank pulley needed to be replaced to. It sounded like it might have had a cracked crank.

Anyways. I'm jealous of the find.

Well done, Dan ... nice score! I keep looking or a burb or a tahoe - or preferably a 4-dr short box, but no joy ...

Back