• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally gonna get to it..

Stoney

Reaction score
Finally ordered oil cooler hoses ,,new oil cooler and the extra fittings.. from a place called quadstar tuning...they have Leroy on their website so I'm assuming that the two are linked up with each other...total 248.00 with shipping..they say I should have them in three business days so hopefully Friday... While I'm at it I'm putting in new valve cover gaskets cuz they are leaking...new coolant heater (although probably won't need to use it till next winter) .. while it's in the air I'm going to pull the tranny pan and change the filter..not sure what kind of fluid is in it now but I bought 8 quarts of dex 6 to put in it.. new wixs oil filter & fuel filter going in.. trying to find harmonic balancer and pulley to order tonight .... There's no way I can afford a fluidampr..maybe a/c Delco?? Still need to order the starter bracket also tonight.. with some luck I can have everything by The Weeknd..then take a day off to install it all.. I'm not sure which boss is going to be madder... The one that gives me a paycheck ..or the one I give it to..lol

By the way I've been curious about this and I'm sure it is in a thread somewhere already.. but I will ask anyway..prescription lenses what is the difference between the different VIN numbers... I have an F -vin... I guess there are multiple different letters for the same trucks and depending on the letter tells you something about the truck but I don't really understand the differences

Hmmmm... Considering I had a hard enough time coming up with the money for these parts...yeah. I think I'll be taking the dex 6 back.. cuz there's no way I can afford a transmission..lol.. what do you think I should put in it??

Don’t use valve cover gaskets to fix the leaks. Permatex ultra black or something close. Others will chime in on what they used. Valve cover gaskets are a definite leak. When you pull off the valve covers look at the flat surface that sits on the head. Use a straight edge and Anywhere that’s not flat just ease it back flat with a hammer or whatever you have.

I have to fix my leaking valve covers too.

Lot of people switched to it and had trans failures right afterwards, like within 6,000 miles.
Idk what the chemistry behind it is.

Interesting. I switched to it close to 10 years ago and still have original transmission with 186,000 on it. Shifts fine. Wonder if it's coincidence. And there was a service bulletin released in 07 saying that Dexron VI is the only approved fluid for 2008 and prior cars and trucks originally using Dexron III or prior.

Yeah, sorry. Dextron/mercon. DextronIII is a trademark name from GM, and the legal rights to the name ran out so they created the new 6. And since they make money from it, that is now what they recomend.

I remember reading about it, and shortly after there was a conversation on this forum about it. Iirc @THEFERMANATOR had some details of the issue.

Also, I never use valve cover gaskets- only permetex right stuff and NEVER had a leak in hundreds of uses. Removing valve covers afterwards is done with a full shank puddy knife and small ball pien hammerstarting at top front corner and tapping down front, then along top and down back. Then it peels off the bottom by liftin and tilting cover. Now the permetex ultra black exists and does an even better job by all specs, I will use it.

Last edited:
Interesting. I switched to it close to 10 years ago and still have original transmission with 186,000 on it. Shifts fine. Wonder if it's coincidence. And there was a service bulletin released in 07 saying that Dexron VI is the only approved fluid for 2008 and prior cars and trucks originally using Dexron III or prior.
Yeah, it takes roughly 6 months normally for the viton seals to fail, so GM can say its been to long for the fluid to have caused the problem, and they get to make big bucks selling you a GM SRTA trans. They know fully well about the problem and got PISSED when ALLISON issued a bulletin exposing it. Due to dex 6 being a hybrid synthetic fluid, it is not compatible with viton seals. Prior to 06 viton was the industry standard. Several have gotten lucky since there old seals had been run in dex 3 long enough, the dex 6 couldn't permeate them, and destroy them, but not everybody was so lucky. The ONLY reason GM switched to dex 6 was because the patent ran out on dex 3, and they would no longer get a cut from the rights to produce it.

As to which fluid, dex 3 is gone since the patent expired in 05, dex/merc fluid is the same stuff. Theres also some really good synthetics out there that are tes-295 approved that are really good, but they've gotten expensive in the last few years(went from $26 a gallon 10 years ago to $60 a gallon now).

Back