• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farmers, help me!

planted it in a little pot about a week ago... Just like 5 seeds.. Looks likes they've taken! Well see how im gonna get lots of sun and space though..

back up now. corn is in full till.

now to pollinate it, should i cut off the top antennae like things and brush them on the hairs? i have 3 square pots (1.5ft x 1.5ft) with 1 in each corner, and one in the middle. im not sure how well it will pollinate.

if the pot are touching each other, you shouldn't have any problem with pollination. that pollen can travel pretty good distance with the wind. once you notice the silks turning a dark brown that means that the corn is pollinated.

ok. well, im kinda having another problem (i think)

the bottom leaves are turning brown, yet all the other ones are green. this has just recently happened. they get watered enough, and no recent shocking changes. any thoughts?

i wouldn't worry about the bottom leaves turning, as long as the ears and the rest of the plant are nice and green.

ok. well, im kinda having another problem (i think)

the bottom leaves are turning brown, yet all the other ones are green. this has just recently happened. they get watered enough, and no recent shocking changes. any thoughts?

Probably nothing to worry about.

When are you watering? In the heat of the day might be burning the leaves.

im watering usually at morning, or evening. i kinda stuck my nad down in the soil, and the soil about 3" deep was dry-ish, so i figured i wasnt watering enough, so i watered them somewhat heavily today. not drowning them, but saturating the soil to the bottom.

this is what im getting (pics (camera is strupuid, one pic is corrupt))

there are no ears yet. im getting the antennae stuff up top though. im guessing another 4-6 weeks and well be good.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Corn.jpg
    Corn.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
that's normal for those leaves at the bottom to look like that when it gets real hot. a good soaking like you did is probably the best way to water. proly every 2 days or so. your corn looks a little yellow, you might want to add a little nitrogen to it.

What he said, that corn needs feed. Nitrogen will help make big ears. I am guessing that you have to many plants for the amount of soil and that will hamper ear size.

tassel's always come before ears. give it some time. if you watch it every day it will bug the hell out of you.

its getting worse :(

one plant has tassles, but no ears.

Probably not fully tasseled yet. My next 4 acre patch is 50% tasseled, and there is not one silk yet. Give it a day or 2 and the fine white silks will show up. That is when I hit it hard with pesticide. I am currently rotating with hero and warrior, but also use mustang max, and proaxis. All of it it just stupid expensive.

Currently bug pressure is off the charts here.

You can figure around 3 weeks for corn after tassel. Could be as little a 2.

good luck

Back