• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farmers, help me!

WanaDmax

Reaction score
So, when i try to plant corn, it always comes out like 4 feet tall, and with tiny pieces of corn, which always rot!

What are the growing requirements for corn??

You should PM sodfarmer with that question. He'd probably be able to help you. He's a man of many trades. :) I know he grown a lot of corn over the past couple years. Sorry I'm not more help than that. Good luck.

what kind of corn? Sweet corn?

Just guessing that you are planting to thick.

Give us more details, how are you planting, what, soil type, and so on.

yep, need a little more information.

Are you planting corn that is treated? (is it green, purple, red, somthing like that) or are they just kernals from somthing?

Are you spacing the seeds out. Only one at a time?

What soil are you planting it in? (Black dirt, clay, potting soil?)

Have you added any nitrogen to the soil?

How deep are you planting? (seed should only be about an inch to 1 1/2 inches under the soil.

Some topsoil mixed with Miracle grow potting soil. Its corn from the home depot seed package. No special blend. If you have a website, where i can buy like a package of 100-200 seeds that yall use, id like that.

The place im growing it in is like, 1/2 sun. Its under some trees. I think thats the biggest thing.

I water it once a day, not drowning it, but not starving it of water either.

I put it about 1" down. and about 6-10" apart

P.S. im just growing corn for my family, not for the neighborhood.

Last edited:
I don't know much about growing corn in my garden. I grow my sweet corn in my pivots and I treat it just like my field corn. My first impression is you are watering too much. You want to stress it when it is young so it develops a good root system. Then pour the water to it in the heat so it grows.

There was another guys that raised sweet corn to make a living and he might have some input. I just grow it for fun and for my employees.

Good luck.

I only have 80 acres of sweet corn.

Odds are to little sun, and to much water. Might also need to give it some granular fertilizer. Sweet corn likes heat and sun. Might be that the it gets root bound because the pot is to small. How deep is the pot?

I'd send you some seed, BUT sweet corn seed is real tight this year. I'm going to mudding in 5 more acres tomorrow come hell or high water. Wet spots are muddy as hell and put a buried post though a inside dual to top my evening off.

I'd say plant in open area with lots of sun.Water twice a week depending on the soil and area.Thats how my dad does it.He has always planted "candy" corn and it sure is good.Cornstalks usually average about 9 ft.high.

Best nitrogen = diluted chicken poop?
insertimage.gif

I've got all the chicken shit you need.

Attachments

• Nash Farms Chicken house 005.jpg
    Nash Farms Chicken house 005.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 23
good comments above.. nitrogen for starter (+ insecticide if it's not treated seed) and a little more at knee high.. in addition a little 12-12-12 or potash wouldn't hurt if you're consistently growing the sweet corn in the same spot. also, don't over-water when it's young, but be sure to not underwater just before and around tasseling.

EDIT: sweet corn is "pukey" as some people say... it won't grow 10ft tall and it won't look so well when its young. I'd say anything over 4ft is def. acceptable for sweet corn.

Last edited:
thanks for the help yall.

Perhaps ill take you up on that chicken shit! :sifone:

Whats the difference between Sweet corn, and regular run of the mill corn?

EDIT: Forgot what i was going to say... EDIT AGAIN: Weather here has been odd.. It was 100 last week, and 75 in the night. Now its like 70 at day and 50 at night...

The worlds goin to shit.

Last edited:
If you are asking what it the difference in how it looks the best way I can describe is is the difference that is noticable from the road, is like said sweet corn is kinda "punky" when full grown, over 5ft is tall sweet corn.
Newer highbreeds of seed corn are reaching upwards of 9ft tall.

Also, when tassled out, you will notice that field corn tassles reach for the sky, sweet corn the tassles kinda droop outward and downward.

sweet corn is much smaller plant, our first patches often have the ear just above the ground. Sweet corn's pericarp is much thinner, thus providing the tender kernel. Sweet corn is also not near has hardy in seed form as field corn.

Grain corn is used as feed, ethanol, and food. There are different hybrids that are food grade. Believe it or not there are people who eat this corn fresh as well, but there is no way that it tastes like sweet corn.

Back