• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fan Clutch Testing

I have the Kennedy and it definitely locks up earlier than stock. 2nd the carboard trick, I run a winter cover and hearing the fan in spring is my reminder to remove it.

Cheers
Nobby
Would You have a recollection of at what engine temp the KD fan clutch kicked in ?
Engine temp on Mine was running 217 and I never did hear it engage.

No i do not really have a specific number, all I can say is that I hear it more than when it was stock. I'd say though that it was before 210, definitely before 217.

Cheers
Nobby

@MrMarty51 when did you buy your kennedy unit? I mentioned it recently in another thread (can't remember where) but I bought one last summer and never heard it lock up. @Will L. mentioned a bad batch of clutches so apparently others including myself had the same issues you're experiencing. If you bought it less than a year ago you can send it back for testing. I thought about going this route but Kennedy's customer service or lack thereof really turned me off from wanting to deal with him anymore. I had my gauge hit 210 and never heard the fan kick in which freaked me out because with all the work done to my engine even towing 10k behind me uphill the cluster gauge never goes much past 200 for me. The coated heads and internals really make a difference.

Anyways just saying probably not worth your time to mess around with the kennedy unit, I'm going to upgrade to the electric style, ordering parts tonight. I also have a Hayden spin on 2886 that I bought right after the kennedy experience, never installed it as I in the meantime re-installed the clutch that was on there prior, a spring modified Hayden 2840. If you want my 2886 I'll happily sell to you at cost as I will have no use for it since I'm going the electric route

No i do not really have a specific number, all I can say is that I hear it more than when it was stock. I'd say though that it was before 210, definitely before 217.

Cheers
Nobby
Thank You very much for that information. It is most helpful.
I would say that My KD clutch is nothing more than a poor set line weight.

@MrMarty51 when did you buy your kennedy unit? I mentioned it recently in another thread (can't remember where) but I bought one last summer and never heard it lock up. @Will L. mentioned a bad batch of clutches so apparently others including myself had the same issues you're experiencing. If you bought it less than a year ago you can send it back for testing. I thought about going this route but Kennedy's customer service or lack thereof really turned me off from wanting to deal with him anymore. I had my gauge hit 210 and never heard the fan kick in which freaked me out because with all the work done to my engine even towing 10k behind me uphill the cluster gauge never goes much past 200 for me. The coated heads and internals really make a difference.

Anyways just saying probably not worth your time to mess around with the kennedy unit, I'm going to upgrade to the electric style, ordering parts tonight. I also have a Hayden spin on 2886 that I bought right after the kennedy experience, never installed it as I in the meantime re-installed the clutch that was on there prior, a spring modified Hayden 2840. If you want my 2886 I'll happily sell to you at cost as I will have no use for it since I'm going the electric route
I will pass on the fan clutch.
I’m in agreement on the electro unit. I did not want to have to jump in this soon to make that purchase but I might have to.
I found the receipt from KD and it was sometime in 2019 that I bought it.
I had contacted him about the temp my truck was running at and he gave me the BS run around about the air temp behind the radiator having to hit 185.
I dont know what that air temp was but I would about bet that with the engine temp bitting 217 degrees, the temp behind the radiator would have been well in excess of 185.
KD clutch will go into the scrap aluminum bin and I’ll just bite the bullit and get the electro unit coming.
I’ve had it in the cart for a few days, just need to get up the nerve to push the button.

Oh yeah, I think Will L mentioned 2019 in the posting about that bad batch of fan clutch units.
Thats about the time I bought Mine.

Oh yeah, I think Will L mentioned 2019 in the posting about that bad batch of fan clutch units.
Thats about the time I bought Mine.

I would ask KD if they are doing warranty on a known bad batch now. Sometimes after a vendor figures out something went wrong with a batch they make it right. I would like to see his answer after recommending and using his special calibration clutches for over a decade.

I just heard several people that bought near same time all unhappy/ unimpressed with them, and usually everyone can tell the difference right away. It’s my assumption he got a bad batch.

I would ask KD if they are doing warranty on a known bad batch now. Sometimes after a vendor figures out something went wrong with a batch they make it right. I would like to see his answer after recommending and using his special calibration clutches for over a decade.
I’ll give Him a call tomorrow. See what He says.

Tried calling KD and got the answering machine. I left a message telling him i have a question about the fan clutch that he sells to please call Me back.
I did not leave My name, in case he would recognize me from previous emails and phoney calls.
We shall see what happens.
I did dig out the receipt, I purchased the fan clutch 8/23/2019. I feel that was probably right in the midst of that bad batch he had.
I dont really care that he sends me a new one. I would like to send this one to Him and let Him test it, good bad or indifferent, i doubt I will install that clutch back onto My truck.

DieselAmateur, do you have a picture of the 2886 fan clutch? I just did a bunch of work to my Suburban including installing a new 2886 fan clutch I bought from RockAuto that I swear is either the wrong fan clutch boxed in a 2886 box or a dud since it has not engaged or have heard it engaged after driving it about 200 miles. It has a shiny metal shaft and nut portion that looks different than the cast grey color nut I see in pictures of other said 2886 clutches. Thanks.

@dieselfuelonly I'll find it in the shop and post it here. From what I recall there's a slight gap between the nut and back of clutch on the 2886

I see you're in AZ so I assume it's been hot enough for the clutch to kick in

If you haven't already read through it take the time to go through @ak diesel driver 's Electric Fan Clutch thread. Seems to be the best solution to the fickle nature of the non- electric clutches. And with total parts coming to around $300 it's not that much more expensive than dealing with seemingly all too common faulty clutches. And in @n8in8or 's dually build thread there's a wiring diagram for the electric clutch with an additional manual on/ off switch. I haven't had time to do the upgrade myself even with the parts all sitting here but I'm certain it will put an end to these maddening clutch issues for me

@Will L., I most definitely agree to that. And @DieselAmateur yes it has been hot enough out here for sure. I like to always say that Arizona is the ultimate test for a cooling system. I got money I need to spend in other departments on this unit yet, so I'm ok with keeping the mechanical fan clutch at the moment. If you want to sell your 2886 I'll likely buy it. Thanks.

Back