• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

fan clutch help

john65td

Addicted to boost
Reaction score
i recently put a 6.5 non turbo from a 98 van into a 95 suburban. basicaly i use the short block from the van. the issue i'm having is the fan. the old one was not there when i got the motor. the water pump has ho stamped on it so i assumed its a high output. i ordered a fan and clutch for a 98 van and the clutch doesn't line up to the water pump and the fan doesn't fit the clutch.

the fan is one for a 98 also. the 95 fan clutch won't fit either, the holes are different. its got 4 studs its the bolt on type. any input? i would like to find the right fan and clutch to get this back on the road and so i can get paid. i'm about ready to change the water pump.

Put the 01 DURAMAX fan blade on it and a the 98 4 bolt fan clutch. You may have to trim the shroud some, but most don't have to. Then you get the better fan. Or run a 9 blade from a 2000 6.5 truck. The early style trucks before the HO pump used a 6 bolt fan mount, and the later style uses 4, so early fans don't retrofit to newer fan clutches easily.

What bolts don't work? At the water pump or the fan?

4 bolts at the water pump always. Some pump have 2 bolt patterns you can put the studs in. You may need to move the studs.

The 1995 garbage fan has 6 bolts to the fan clutch. Throw this fan away!!! (Yes, upgrade that poor burb with a new fan and clutch.) As said above get the better fans. The steel fan from 2000 does not need fan shroud trimming. The Duramax fan may or may nor need trimming the shroud.

its only got one bolt patteren. i got a fan for a 98 and the bolt patteren on the clutch is different. i cant find a clutch to fit the fan. its the one that came with the motor its fine but it has no blade.

So you need a 1998 fan clutch and a 1998 fan then. Clutches only last 5 years anyway so don't feel bad about replacing it.

Back