• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed torque converter?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Failed torque converter in my 1993 4l80E?
Code 68, Transmission Component Slipping, popped up after it dropped out of overdrive this past week.
A day later I get Code 39. TCC Stuck "OFF"

Works fine cold and fails warm on a 'slight' hill. where it falls out of OD till key off. (Limp mode.)

Trans was rebuilt 50K miles ago w/ new electronics. Has had a very hard life since. Fluid is starting to get a burnt smell and was changed once since rebuild. The manual 2nd gear compression braking hasn't worked in a long time.

Flipping the TCC override does not get a firm lock, just an RPM drop.

Is there anything I should look at outside the trans before it hits the trans shop?

Sorry it sounds classic rebuild time to me.
There used to be a place down your way that I heard was real good. Pheonix trans. Dont know if they are sstill around or not that was 5-6 years ago.

Yeah, Allstate transmission here rebuilds them for $895 in and out 2WD and went to $995 for 4X4's. Plus hard parts. The past and constant 5 Mile 10% grade to Payson must have taken the TCC clutch out. It simply quits holding after 2 miles from cold. They do good work, but I need a stronger TCC if I was to keep doing that pull.

Good news is I have a working spare trans with converter that may reduce the final cost. (Same year) Worked but unknown condition.

I would let them go over your spare and check it out See what it needs if anything and go from there. Flush the cooler out good and drop her in. Then whenever have the on you take out looked at. Provided your still only gettin a 93 code.

It could also be a worn acyuator limit valve. It controls the line pressure to the valve body and when it gets worn you will lose line pressure to the solonoids and gives th famous code 68. It is iften overlooked during a rebuild. SONNAX makes a reamer and oversize valve as well as TRANSGO. I know my GM SERTA trans that came out of my BURB had about 30K miles on it and started throwing this code and would lose lock-up sometimes. I never opened it up, but I was 99% certain it was this.

Bulkpart transmission[internet, sorry lost my links] sells the sonax kits for the pressure valve and TCC valve.Both can be done without removing the trans.

TCC clutch was toast as well as the 2nd gear overrun clutch/band. The factory converter will not hold being locked up at WOT. My shop could not find a place that would build one that would. Yank would build me a triple disc for $1100 with serious holding power. (Yank will build anything for $1100.) I really would need a lower stall converter with the way the GM3 chokes at higher RPM.

So the used transmission/converter got new pump seals, new transfer case seal, pan gasket and filter and installed for under $500.00. They said it looked good - nothing in the pan etc.

TC shop up here will build a triple disc or low stall for alot less than that. IIRC they get $125 for a stock rebuild and not alot more for low stall or triple disc. They did not recommend the triple but would build one if the customer insisted.

Snoop around and get a converter that has the HD Kevlar clutch setup.

There is no reason that the TCC can't hold up under full throttle at speed.

Where things go wrong is when folks try and run the lockup in second gear and pull hard.

Missy

Back