• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Extra capacity oil filters

Strange thing i noticed when using the 2 quart filter on my K-5 after i turbo'd it.

It sounded as though the turbo was oil starved on startup. I switched to a 51060(stock 6.5 filter from WIX) and it stopped.

The filter on my K-5 hangs vertically as well. I think my main issue is that the turbo oil feed line comes from right by the filter, instead of up by the head on a 6.5, so the line drains out due to gravity.

6.5s will probably be fine with the bigger filter. Never tried it, even on my 2wd 6.5. I run the Amsoil filter 95% of the time, but have a Wix on there now.

Don't know if anyone has considered this but the 6.5 is a "full flow filter". IE; No bypass. They also have an anti-drainback valve.

The larger filter (typically from gassers or on remote mount filters) usually have an internal bypass and may or may not have a drainback valve.

If the filter bypass is lower than the bypass in the 6.5, the oil could circumvent the filter media in certain conditions.

Just something to consider when deviating from OE recommendations.

All I'm saying is "do your homework".

Just because it spins on and is bigger doesn't mean it does a better job.....

I know I've said this before, but run a DURAMAX oil filter on your 6.5's and call it good. It will fit a 4X4 no problem, costs the same as the 6.5 filter normally, and has almost a half quart more capacity. It is more than up to the filtering needed for a 6.5 as well as it is designed for the higher flowing DURAMAX engine.

I know I've said this before, but run a DURAMAX oil filter on your 6.5's and call it good. It will fit a 4X4 no problem, costs the same as the 6.5 filter normally, and has almost a half quart more capacity. It is more than up to the filtering needed for a 6.5 as well as it is designed for the higher flowing DURAMAX engine.
Part number??????

So the 6.5 calls for a no bypass? i just searched for the duramax K&N oil filter ps-3003 and it says yes for bypass, No good on the 6.5?

Between my larger oil cooler, -10AN oil cooler lines, Amsoil dual remote oil filter w/ bypass and the 18' of 3/4" hose I'm sitting right at 12 quarts of oil. The EaBP-100 bypass filter holds a quart and a half by itself.

So the 6.5 calls for a no bypass? i just searched for the duramax K&N oil filter ps-3003 and it says yes for bypass, No good on the 6.5?

Any idea what the bypass pressure differential is on the filter vs the 6.5's ? The bypass shouldn't really bypass unless filter flow is restricted but I don't know if at initial start up it doesn't bypass a bit.

I have also thought engine oil filters are not absolute they are better at multi pass effeciency so a bit of bypass at start is not the end of the world. But I like the idea of an engine bypass better. I wonder (don't know) if when a filter bypasses if it might flush some build up of crud out of filter????

Either way as long as oil changes are done and the oil is good lubrication/contaminates shouldn't be a problem.

I do like the idea of more oil. I run a remote dual filter(s) (permacool, filters in parallel). And changing oil according to how much fuel is burned not necessarily how many miles driven.

I'd say roughly 200-300 gallons? Don't really know I am not as accurate with oil changes as I use to be. I use to track it with milage then thought well gallons would be a better indicator. Alas since my usage doesn't vary too much only work it hard infrequently I wait til I pass 3K miles then at first convient time to change. But that may be within 500 miles or 1000 depends on weather and honey doo list.

Schiker, Just noticed your signature. A 97 short bed, those are pretty rare. Got any pics of it?

These are a couple yrs old. I bought it used and had looked almost 2 yrs for it. I was looking for a 5spd ext cab. I looked at a 454 it had transfer case issues and was overpriced. I looked a 305ci 5spd it was weak. I drove a 6.5 dually 5 spd and was hooked but balked at dually as it had been used as a hauler. I finally found this truck and it was nice. The guy older retired and anal about cleaning and maintance. I am very glad I was patient I like my truck a lot.

Attachments

• k2500-sd.jpg
    k2500-sd.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 9
  • k2500w3000-45.jpg
    k2500w3000-45.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 9
Yes im considering that but i would still like to continue increasing my oil capacity with a larger stock oil filter. Just not 100% yet on which filter will work ok.

Back