• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust Brake?

USdieselparts has one for the 6.5 made by BD. I believe it was a little over a thousand bucks. Ive been eyeing one for sometime, but i was worried it would put a strain on the rings, being this motor wasnt designed for a brake.

I thought the TCC mod was for OBD2.... huh well glad to know it is mine then that get the TCC mod.

can't you put a switch on your TCC to lock it up in any gear at any speed like I did on my Bronco?

negative on OBD2, its a OBD1 mod only.

I assume it acts like your mod on ur bronco, but I wouldn't know, as I'm OBD2.

TCC mod for OBD-2 is to buy the TorqLock from BD. Another three Franklins on top of the cost of the exhaust brake. I've had the TorqLock for about a year and it works if you manage it well but needs the exhaust brake that I haven't ponied-up for yet. You can easily get the tranny into limp mode then you have to pull over and cycle the ignition or if you have something like a ScanGaugeII you just clear the code. Not much hill holding with just TCC locked up and a 10k trailer on back with no exhaust brake but better than nothing.

TCC mod for OBD-2 is to buy the TorqLock from BD. Another three Franklins on top of the cost of the exhaust brake. I've had the TorqLock for about a year and it works if you manage it well but needs the exhaust brake that I haven't ponied-up for yet. You can easily get the tranny into limp mode then you have to pull over and cycle the ignition or if you have something like a ScanGaugeII you just clear the code. Not much hill holding with just TCC locked up and a 10k trailer on back with no exhaust brake but better than nothing.

this is good to know. doesn't apply to my rig but useful icase I buy a 96+ dually.

negative on OBD2, its a OBD1 mod only.

I assume it acts like your mod on ur bronco, but I wouldn't know, as I'm OBD2.

the mod for my Bronco was done by my transmission guy. Its a Toggle switch hooked up to what ever controls the TCC function so I can lock it up in any gear at any speed, its aslo hooked up to the brake pedal so it will unlock the TC when I step on the brakes.

I was also going to have this done to my Silverado but if it can be done as part of the chip upgrade then I guess I wont need to.

Anubis, the TCC loc isn't part of a chip upgrade it is a separate add on to the system if you buy from BD, or you can do the "add a switch to the dash yourself" thing for cheaper than the BD. I put the BD on my OBD-I and it is the best tranny cooler that you can buy/do IMO. It also gives you compression back-off like a standard gear tranny and I have found that it works well for that on downgrades. I was going to go with the exhuast brake but decided that the BD TorcLoc was good enough.

Any kind of engine brake puts strain on the motor. I realize in HD applications, they are nessicary but my opinion has always been, brake jobs are cheaper than an engine. It would seem to me you are using the TCC in a way is wasn't designed to be used.JMO. Tranny big bucks

I looked at EB for my setup, wasn't easily done at time I needed them for OBD-II, it was simpler to upgrade the brakes instead and have a trailer with brakes up to the task of stopping the load.

Any kind of engine brake puts strain on the motor. I realize in HD applications, they are nessicary but my opinion has always been, brake jobs are cheaper than an engine. It would seem to me you are using the TCC in a way is wasn't designed to be used.JMO. Tranny big bucks

descending Eisenhower and Vail pass with out an EB gives me nightmares. guess I could drop the Xfer case in 4L..... would require the TCC mod and putting a toggle switch on the CAD........ but could be done.

descending Eisenhower and Vail pass with out an EB gives me nightmares. guess I could drop the Xfer case in 4L..... would require the TCC mod and putting a toggle switch on the CAD........ but could be done.

Go for the exhaust break... someone has to try and test one out for the rest of us... might as well be you!

Back