• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Epoxy coating for garage floor

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
Guys what is a real good durable epoxy floor coating for a new garage floor that is concrete? Looked at valspar and different ones. Mainly going to be used as car garage to park my truck and the wife's suv in it. Only thing I have put on it was a concrete sealer.

Yep, I'd investigate that sealer. I used a 2 part industrial coating from Sherwin Williams. It seems to be holding up well its about 8 years old with no delamination's. But it gets rather slippery when wet.

From what I gathered its all in the prep. And sealer messes with coatings if I remember right. Seems you can't re stain very well after sealer either. Mine was new 30-60 days old and no oil spills. I etched it and rinsed it sweeping out and rinsing it again. Let it dry and did sections at the time. I don't remember but think I waited a good long time to drive and park on it 2 weeks or 30 days something long so I knew it was fully cured and stuck.

My last house had a grey epoxy with the multi colored speckles, not sure of what brand-po did it. The nice finish was better than the plain concrete, but it didnt take long before i hated the speckles. Drop a screw, washer, nut, etc and you have to look for it even on a perfectly clean floor. It was like friggin camouflage. I don't think they did any sealer afterwards, as the area where i spilled a bit of used hummer oil stained. I had it cleaned up inside of 90 seconds, but that area is a darker grey now.

I want to do my new place, but will not use any of those speckles, thinking black and white checker pattern but wonder how bad that would be to find dropped parts and spills...or maybe luminescent to help see under the rigs.

When you do it, post some pics plz. So we can properly envy you. :bigtears::bigtears:

I think Line-X floor coverings are impressive. They don't seem to expensive. If you decide to go that route, find someone with lots of experience installing it. I want to use it on my back porch. It would make cleaning up after the dogs easier.

Drop a screw, washer, nut, etc and you have to look for it even on a perfectly clean floor. It was like friggin camouflage. :bigtears::bigtears:

I don't have any experience with floor coatings, but the best way I ever found for finding something "lost" on a clean flat floor is with a flashlight. Turn the flashlight on and lay it down on the floor. Move the flashlight around, spin it slowly, etc, and look for the shadow produced by the "lost" item.

Don

Yeah, that works well, I use the trick a couple times a year. But with the multi color camouflage flakes, you can't even see the little shadows. The only was I could see tiny screws (size of a quarter) was lay my face to the ground -like it's on a rifle and scan.

In the garage I had before that it was just gray epoxy paint no specs and I could see anything in an instant.

Decided to put the Valspar gray on the garage floor and it seems like it is going to do ok. Been letting it cure and set up before we drive on it. Will be letting the wife break it in before Christmas, by letting her be the first one to drive a vehicle into the new garage.

Attachments

• Garage Epoxy.jpg
    Garage Epoxy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks. Decided not to put the black flakes on it since it might be hard to see something that had been dropped in the floor. The epoxy coating is extra thick, I bet 1/4 inch thick or more in places. Some people mention online about hot tire pick up, but I don't see how that could happen with what I put down. Treated the new concrete with the etch acid, scrubbing it several times. Has been about two weeks since it was applied and room temperature has been maintained at about 65 to 70 degrees since I have heat there. Probably was dry in most spots after a week or so, but I kept seeing this one little area that was just a little tacky due to an extra thick coating.

Just an update on the garage floor epoxy after about a year. For the most part it has been holding up very well except for one small area where my wife parks her vehicle. Some of the epoxy started flaking up about where her left front tire sits when the vehicle is parked. I have heard of hot tire pick up but I am not so sure that was the case. I will tell you why. On my side where I park my Chevy 2500HD there were not one sign of any flaking or problems. I would think that the tires on my truck would be just as hot or hotter. Truly I think the epoxy did not adhere as good where she parks and that the melted salt water and chemicals from thawing off of the vehicle weakened it also. So what I did was scrub her side of the garage and then I went back over the area where she parks with an extra thick coating. I will see how that holds up this winter.

I must mention that where we have driven into the garage we have tracked small pebbles and dirt onto the surface and ran over them. I have seen some of those pebbles crushed into powder on the floor and no damage was done to the epoxy. It appears that the thick coated areas are pretty durable and will take a lot of abuse.

I guess all I can do is I will see how that holds up this winter. If it comes back up where see parks I guess it is time for plan B.

Really looks good. I have seen some rubber mats that you can use on the floor for tires to rest on. Not sure if this is something that would help. Also the little rubber mats with raised rubber that lets the driver know that the car is in its correct spot and to not go any further.

Yesterday I put another thick coat of epoxy down while the floor was still clean. The epoxy had already set up real good from last Friday and the wife could have been driving on it. The section where she parks is about a 16 ft. x 16 ft. square section that has expansion grooves around it. I focused most of the epoxy in that area but did touch up the section that she drives over to get to that area since I saw some signs of slight discoloration where her tires rack. I decided that maybe the epoxy where she had been parking was not thick enough. I believe if your going to do something, to do it right. I guess I will see what happens, at least I will know that it had a very thick coating on it. The only thing I am out of is money and a little bit of time.

Now I have another project before winter. Stain a 116 foot by 10 foot deck. I am going to use a solid stain made by Olympic, Cabot or one of those companies. Any pointers on that other than getting it real clean before staining?

I used a product I was fairly impressed with this summer. This was one coat, went on kinda splotchy but dried to a nice uniform finish. Has much better weather resistance than solid color stain. Can't remember the name offhand but I'm going to town this morning and will come up with it.IMG_20160803_154841.jpg

Back