• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Enough broken 6.5 problems, how about a high mileage/dependable 6.5 thread?

great white

Reaction score
We've all seen the threads and pictures of 6.5 carnage and disappointments.

But I can't believe they're all bad!

How about posting up some good 6.5 stuff?

Does it even exist?

I'll start with mine:

98 k2500 6.5 turbo diesel.

Around 200,000 the original squirter block went out on the Orig owner (don't know what went wrong). He slipped in a used 599 block under the 98 heads that supposedly had around 100,000 kms on it.

That 599 has taken the rest of the chassis to the now current 408,000 kms with only a new gm8 replacement turbo.

Lots of blowby, but she runs strong and sure. Starts first time, every time.

I've only owned it since august, but it's never let me down.

All I've really changed is the injectors and glow plugs, and that was only preventative maintenance. Things like the raptor 100 lift pump were done simply because i wanted to. Oh, and one boost solenoid was a "must change" item.

So, any other "success stories" out there?

:)

got 153k on a early model squirter with no blowby to speak of. put new injection pump, injectors, gp, and controller in plus maintenace and a few other things. without plugging it in it will start right up in 10f with barely any smoke

225,000 miles on mine

As far as I can find out it has original IP

Original pmd went at about 180,000 miles

I've owned it for 6 yrs and never changed the OPS or LP

I've done injectors and glows as preventative maint.

93 C2500 ext cab. 173,000. Replaced injectors (check signature). Starts quick and fast since replacing glows. Park in a heated garage so no plugging in here. Injection pump appears original. She runs strong! Looking for 400,000 miles.

225K now on my 1st one in the 98 K1500 GMC truck "oil squirter" alternator-vac pump-2x Ip (2nd one I coded "bad" @ 119997 miles just 3 miles before warranty went out go figure how that happened :) )-rebuilt trans @ 160k when line from aftermarket trans cooler came loose and dumped all trans fluid on highway & I glazed the clutch pack, injectors this summer 2nd set still working but wanted a fresh set.

Then I added a 2nd one to my stable 98 C1500 Chevy Burb that more or less survived Katrina/Rita aftermath 170k now on it's "oil squirter", alternator, & rebuilt trans when reverse went out are only "had to change" maint items so far original IP.

Bought mine with around 60k now at 236k+. IP was replaced 3x under warranty (probably just pmd) last time was at 119k. Been thru 4-5 LPs changed injs at about 180k just cause I thought I should. 3rd set of glows in it probably would only be 2nd set but the were waps. Tranny started slipping when I was hooked up to 18k when I was around 160k miles but it is still the original. Getting quite a bit of blowby especially in the last 10-20k. Other than that what can I say it's my DD I use for work and has never left me stranded. Also I rebuilt the starter once ( new brushes and repack bearings) and the turbo 2x.

Bought my 97 burb from a second owner, @244k km , now we put about 3k in a 2 weeks.. Running like a champ starts in the cold, -9 C last Monday started just fine, not plugged. No blow by. She is in the shop getting new front ball joints, new glows ( I find the ones on now take too long) PMD relocated.. Getting the injectors tested.

I did some mods for winterizing;

1 - 2 gauge wire from alt to batt
2 - 2 gauge from batt to starter
3 - changed the battery connectors
4 - synthetic Rottela 5W30

I do find her a bit sluggish and which maybe caused by the injectors. Plus we will be putting a nice diamond eye 4 exhaust

I sold my 1995 c2500 with 325000 miles that was original, the trans was not , get this the date code on pump was late 94 ,I swear it was orig. remote pmd though, it had blowby and a nasty pinging rattle thing going on but still ran strong ,bought it for 350 drove th crap out of it and sold for 750!!!

,I swear it was orig. remote pmd though, it had blowby and a nasty pinging rattle thing going on but still ran strong ,bought it for 350 drove th crap out of it and sold for 750!!!
PMDs believe it or not can & do last long lives, and why GM opted for extended IP policy vs. a full blown recall, playing the risk mitigation card to replace as they fail if they fail saving $$$ for GM & Stanadyne. Personally as one who's had a PMD or 2 go bad while driving NTSB should have mandatred the replacement as a dead 6.5 on the highway is VERY BAD especially when hooked up to a trailer, but that is another thread :eek:

96, mine, then dads, might be mine again, original motor AFAIK, original pump that has been rebuilt once, one more PMD, 215K or so plenty of blowby, needs injectors, gonna rebuild engine rather than keep making it suffer

99 123K runs great, no blowby, estimated original components

95, would be running to this day if the PO's hired guys would have stopped after blowing the radiator hose (lets keep driving" "Okay, that is the best plan ever!" it still runs, but it humidifies the air out of the exhaust

91 6.2 all original, down to the egr

and my project burb. running good at 300K with a recent IP and injectors, and then the oil cooler lines let go

dads 92 all original (so it appears) 160K or so
93, 260K, one longblock engine IDK what else

and we havent replaced injectors on any of them! :O I know, bad Idea, will be doing those and glows in the near future.

Last edited:
Personally as one who's had a PMD or 2 go bad while driving NTSB should have mandatred the replacement as a dead 6.5 on the highway is VERY BAD especially when hooked up to a trailer, but that is another thread :eek:

Hey there is a guy with a Hummer pushing for that named Larry I think.....:rof:

I drive my truck hard, advanced, fueled, boosted to the sky, on drugs occasionally and its only left me dead in the water once, couple weeks after I bought it and didnt know the signs of a failing IP, but its been going great for the last 2+ years, even though thats only 30k miles and it now only has 106k miles on it total, so I guess its still young. And I do not tow with it much. The only maintenance I have really done since fixing the IP is modifications and routine stuff. Once you know how it works, you can keep them going without much effort at all. Ignorance by the dealership led me to these forums and I collected several technical references on the 6.5.

I bought my truck with 150,000KM...now have about 215,000KM on it
Only major fix i've done is a PMD, LP, regular fuel filter, oil+filter changes

I drive it hard...it's a landscaping work truck. I regularly have over 2000lb in the BED of the truck and she has yet to let me down. Starts every time and pulls hard all day.....Started in -35C without a block heater up north once. Still original squirter block. Won't hear a single bad thing about the 6.5 engine here

Tough trucks that are hard to kill. You got over 10 years and 100K - you are on a second lifetime.

You look at a 454 with over 100K and see an engine that can be rebuilt. Your 6.5 has many scared of the block killing cracks.

Suburban: PO had 177K before blown engine was removed and thrown away.

GMC 1993 140K before fan clutch failure killed the 6.5 early: cracks and to the scrap pile...

Chevy 177K and unknown mile rebuilt engine was worn out: cracks and to the scrap pile...

Friends 1988 454: odometer quit at 383K 10 years ago! and was still a DD hauling brick etc. to the job site. (Never borrow it as it would blow the engine on the first grade to Payson if it didn't run out of gas first...)

You have an engine choice. We just got the low bidder engine with the best truck. So what if you have to change the engine around 150K. Some feel it is better than the alternative brand trucks.

The old '93 GMC now has 307,000. I bought it with 300,000. I put an alternator on it, which it didn't need, replaced a couple glow plugs, and installed new batteries. I have no way of knowing what was done before I got it. The previous owner put 50,000 on it and claims he didn't do much except drive it. It chug-a-lugs oil, but doesn't smoke and doesn't leak......... go figure? It's a bit hard to start, but runs good after starting. This thing had to have been a fine truck when new. There's some rust on the front fenders, but the rest of it is solid, and it runs down the highway straight as a string with no vibrations. I have a rebuilt injector pump to put on it, and have considered getting some new injectors, and maybe the thing would be like new. It has a drop down goose neck hitch, and bumper receiver hitch, probably close to $900 if installed separately. It needs tires and the air conditioner compressor is shot. But I bought it for a second truck, and for $2,000 can't really say much bad about it.

Oh, And I do remember a friend of dad's mentioning that when they first came out he ran them (tractor jockey) and on a common occasion, they found the 260 mark! the first one (95? I think) served him well, and the second one ran hard for a good long while, and then something happened (broke a piston, dropped a valve, I think on cyl 8) but he admitted he wasnt suprised for how he treated it.

the guy is known to exaggerate a little, but the question was "did you have a 6.5L and how did you like it" not "what was the biggest load or best fuel economy you had on it"(the usual stretchers of truth) So I think it is somewhere close to the truth. this guy brokers tractors, and usually never gets bigger than a MFWD in the ballpark of 175 hp, so not articulate big, but still plenty of a load for the ol girl.

Wife's 95, 307 thou when i bought it(alll original),i put in new scuirts,batts and GP.s,I piped the CDR to the world,fried 3 PMD's in succession (1 a month)right after The truck has close to 400 thou on it now .90 thou,runs smooth as glass.
My own 98,20 thou on rebuild no issues,altough i might swap the IP(Cold start issues,carry over from donor truck) but the steering hickup of late.

Colbythekid's '95 (formerly mine from 40k to 160k) has 165k miles on it. All the typical maintenance (new IP, PMD, etc) and upgrades to address heat, longevity and performance. New tranny after 160k. Running great.

Likewise with the '99, bought with all the upgrades and performance. Typical maintenance replacements including IP, PMD, injectors, etc. Running great. Have replaced wear items in front end and exhaust due to prior life in snow belt. Only two small spots of body rust on rear barn door. Aside from 1656 code, runs great.

Back