• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine wont spin over

brownpaden

Reaction score
got everything kinda rigged up on my conversion today...first starter would hardly spin my engine, tried different starter and it spun a little better but not fast enough to crank and definately not enough to prime the system...idk what im doing wrong, i was trying to start with jumper cables off one battery and my dads truck, that has to be plenty to run starter only....

There's no substitute for 2 good batteries and good battery cables. beyond that pull the glows to let the engine spin over easier.

yeah just figured no belt and no anything else just starter it would spin easy, pretty much like on an engine stand, was weary bout pulling gplugs out today we are kinda having a sand storm at the moment but thats what we did when i was in the army to prime the system

You can't start the 6.x diesels on jumper cables alone. Been there tried that... I wound up making cables on the spot to get 2 batteries wired in as the truck had the batteries stolen with wire cutters. Jumper cables attached to the engine and starter wire would not get it started as it would not crank fast enough.

You need 100 RPM minimum to get it to start with a good engine.

k thank you war wagon, good to know, i had done it tons of times in the army but i guess when the cables are hooked to a 24v system its a bit more juice, and we were never allowed to change out an ip so i wasnt sure if the timing on them was like a gasser and made for a slow spin..

replaced bent flexplate as well im sure it wasnt very helpfull neither.... the starters on these trucks are a pain too, ordered one off ebay and it didnt have the hole for the bracket to mount the back of it to the block and if you take them apart you got to get the timing set right on them or they dont like to spin fast...not hard to fix just another thing to slow ya down

Before doing anything else, make sure you do a load test on the batteries ONE AT A TIME.

While doing that, make sure all the cables are good, grounds are clean and tight and cables are not corroded.

There is a case today where the person keep going around and forget to check the batteries, turned out the connector to one of the positive battery terminal is broken.
He tested the voltage at the starter, of course it is low if there is no connection.

Moral of the story, test the basic stuff before going down there.

the injector pump i got has 2 lines scribed into it for the timing...im not sure wich one to use, it still isnt wanting to crank, smoking white so its getting fuel....

Any accessories locked up? Got glow plugs?

not running any accessories, no belt on engine, 90 degrees outside and using glow plugs manually just touching wires to battery for them, tried running them while cranking and without... definately gonna need a new starter, i think the 2 i have are just wore down...gonna try at lunch tomorrow while its about 102 out..hopefully that will get it going....

Some engines just need GP assistance. Ive been in hot temps with a room temp engine and only way it would start is with GPs working. Are you putting 12v on each one 1 at a time? if yes try just running 12v to the GPC were all the GPs are connected. Otherwise each GP will cool off before you can crank it.
Once you get air you have to crank ALOT! just let starter rest.
Have you got the group of 2-3 ground wire on intake hooked up? If not it will not start. Also this is on the conversion your doing right? If yes what are you doing for an ECM (as I just typed that I see you may be using a 4911? so can disregard the ground wires/ecm if so.)

you can start it with the right jumpers, but you won't find them at walmart, etc.

My jumpers are homemade, 25' pair of 0 gauge welding cable with a 500A rated clamp on each end. SERIOUS jumper cables, I jumped my Suburban with two shot dead batteries on a 20* day off a 750 amp battery out of my wrecked Camry. Cycled the glow plugs once, cranked the engine over and it fired off before the second revolution was finished. Those cables have come to the rescue of more than one stranded motorist, they're long enough to reach the length of most cars with the Burb parked behind them - ideal for along side the road where you can't turn around and go nose to nose or get along side like on a highway or Interstate or dead in a driveway.

Try this. With the engine cold (no cycling of the glow plugs for several minutes before) and an assistant to turn the ignition key on command, have them crank over the engine WITHOUT cycling the glow plugs while you give a brief 1-2 second shot of starting fluid into either the opening for the filter minder or the CDR hose in the elbow before the turbo intake. That should get it to fire off (make sure they release the key to "Run" when it pops off so you don't toast a starter pinion or a ring gear) even if it's turning over slow and run on the ether for 4-5 seconds if it's not getting fuel, or will run off fuel if the injector lines are primed.

Back