• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine wont spin over

I had this same problem. Except mine wouldn't spin at all. Replaced the starter twice. Turned out to be the connection between the passenger side battery and the cable that goes to the starter. This is how I figured it out. Get a multimeter and put it on the power wire at the starter. Find a good ground. Should read exactly what the battery reads. Now get someone to try and crank the motor while you are doing this. If it drops below 9-10v you have a bad battery connection. Mine dropped to like .2v so that's how I knew. Good luck man.

I had this same problem. Except mine wouldn't spin at all. Replaced the starter twice. Turned out to be the connection between the passenger side battery and the cable that goes to the starter. This is how I figured it out. Get a multimeter and put it on the power wire at the starter. Find a good ground. Should read exactly what the battery reads. Now get someone to try and crank the motor while you are doing this. If it drops below 9-10v you have a bad battery connection. Mine dropped to like .2v so that's how I knew. Good luck man.

That's right, there's supposed to be a soft lead spacer that goes between the two cable ends and crushes down to make good contact when you tighten the terminal bolt. If this is crushed too flat (or is missing, as is often the case), when the bolt is bottomed out the two cable ends don't always make good contact. I had that problem shortly after a pair of new batteries were installed on my '94 a few years back. Slow/no cranking, voltage gauge readings all over the place from 12 to 14 volts on the instrument cluster gauge, especially on bumpy roads. Traced it back to the two terminal ends on the passenger side able to wiggle around some even though the terminal bolt was tightened all the way down till bottomed out in the battery.

The lead spacer I was able to get at O'Reily Auto. Takes a GOOD parts counter person to actually go into the electrical parts book (NOT the computer) to look up the part # on the exploded diagram of the battery cables. They had it in stock, it's about 1/2" in length and diameter with a hole down the center for the terminal bolt. Stack starter cable, spacer, driver's cable end (IIRC) and run the bolt through all three and thread into the battery and then tighten down to the specified torque, not as tight as you can, otherwise you over crush the spacer and you're back to where you are now. If you can't locate a new spacer, stack a couple of washers up on it when you make the cable end sandwich to ensure enough clamping force and good contact between the cable ends and battery terminal.

Back