• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Specs

Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed, but I just stumbled across this information. I must sheepishly admit that this information was taken from off the ever so trusted world wide web. So, if you know the real numbers please post away!

I was surprised to learn where the 6.5 sat when it came to stock factory horsepower and torque. This is what I have found:

GM 6.5
Horsepower-
Introductory: 180hp @ 3400 rpm / Peak: 215hp @ 3200 rpm

Torque-
Introductory: 360 lb-ft @ 1700 rpm / Peak: 440 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm

IH 7.3 IDI
Horsepower-
Peak: 190hp @ 3000 rpm

Torque-
Peak: 388 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm

IH 7.3 Powerstroke
Horsepower-
Peak: 275hp @ 2800 rpm

Torque-
Peak: 525 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

Cummins 5.9 12v
Horsepower-
Peak: 215hp @ 2500 rpm

Torque-
Peak: 440 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

Cummins 5.9 24v
Horsepower-
Peak: 325hp @ 2900 rpm

Torque: 610 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

Source: www.forgottendiesels.com

Those look pretty accurate to me as well. The 6.9 IDI (which is more of an apples to apples comparison to the 6.5 IMO) had 170 hp and 338 ft/lbs.

I just hate it when everyone else in the diesel world puts down the 6.5 as a weak and useless diesel. From comments I usually receive, one would think the GM didn't have enough power and torque to pull itself out of the way. According to the numbers on paper- this isn't the case at all. According to these numbers- its hanging quiet well with the pack, and out ranks the ford IDI!!!!

The 6.5 was plagued with other issues. And it can't make the kind of power that other engines can. I've seen a 6.9 IDI put down just shy of 300 HP and 630 ft lbs of torque. That's pretty impressive from an IDI.

But otherwise you're right. My 6.5 in its stock form put out more HP and TQ than my Dad's Cummins in its stock form.

View attachment 6.5 turbo HP chart.docFYI, here is a HP/torque chart that I got from SS Diesel's web site. Also--in planning mods I am told by SS that their chip, marine injectors, 4" exhaust and #9 get you to 300+ HP, and, they say, without changing the turbo or over stressing the engine. Major caution--have the gauges and NEVER let it get over 1100/210. Now that puts the 6.5 near the top of the list and give the 24 valve Cummins a run for the money.

I just hate it when everyone else in the diesel world puts down the 6.5 as a weak and useless diesel. From comments I usually receive, one would think the GM didn't have enough power and torque to pull itself out of the way. According to the numbers on paper- this isn't the case at all. According to these numbers- its hanging quiet well with the pack, and out ranks the ford IDI!!!!

Just a few weeks ago I was at a local steel yard picking up some stuff with the '93, after I backed in the door to load, I got out and the 'loader guy' said 'I can tell you're a die hard GM guy driving one of these'.. I thought, thanks... I..think? :D

Talk about a back-handed compliment!

I am sure this has been discussed, but I just stumbled across this information. I must sheepishly admit that this information was taken from off the ever so trusted world wide web. So, if you know the real numbers please post away!

I was surprised to learn where the 6.5 sat when it came to stock factory horsepower and torque. This is what I have found:

GM 6.5
Horsepower-
Introductory: 180hp @ 3400 rpm / Peak: 215hp @ 3200 rpm N/A were 160HP, but I believe the turbo was always 190.

Torque-
Introductory: 360 lb-ft @ 1700 rpm / Peak: 440 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm

IH 7.3 IDI
Horsepower-
Peak: 190hp @ 3000 rpm Pretty sure it was 180HP for the 7.3L IDI N/A, and 190HP for the 7.3L IDI turbo(derated due to the upcoming 7.3L powerstroke)

Torque-
Peak: 388 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm Thought they went up to 420 for N/A and about 440 for turbo engines.

IH 7.3 Powerstroke
Horsepower-
Peak: 275hp @ 2800 rpm First ones were 215HP as they were turbo'd with no intercooler, highest one I was aware of was 250HP for 03.

Torque-
Peak: 525 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

Cummins 5.9 12v
Horsepower-
Peak: 215hp @ 2500 rpm First ones were 160HP, but DODGE DID turn out a few 230HP 12 valves for cab and chassis ordered trucks in 98 as I worked on a few in farm trucks.

Torque-
Peak: 440 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm I want to say peak torque was about 500 or a shade higher in 98 for a manual, autos were always derated as teh trans couldn't take it.

Cummins 5.9 24v
Horsepower-
Peak: 325hp @ 2900 rpm Started out at 235HP in 98, the 305 was offerred in 03, and in 04 the 325HP came out.

Torque: 610 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

Source: www.forgottendiesels.com

I'm not 100% as it has been awhile since I researched these, but in red is what I remember it being.

Two 6.5 turbo versions, with egr 180 HP, without 190--referred to as the 'HO'--in the 8000 LB and above.

And there was 3(rumored 4) different power outputs for the turbo 6.5's. 92-93 mechanical turbo engines, 94-96, 97-99, and the ever rumored mid year 99 215HP option.

The biggest selling point for me is relative simplicity and cost of the 6.5. I read somewhere it was never meant to compete with the other Diesels of the day but meant to be a fuel efficient low cost engine. My bro in law's Duramax caused him all sorts of grief especially when he found out how much the injectors cost and the labor to put it in. Injectors for the 6.5 are a tenth of the cost and just a little harder than changing spark plugs on a gas engine. Most cars you can't work on anymore, Hell, it's a PITA to change the oil in the wife's Toyota because you have to reset the computer.

The biggest selling point for me is relative simplicity and cost of the 6.5. I read somewhere it was never meant to compete with the other Diesels of the day but meant to be a fuel efficient low cost engine. My bro in law's Duramax caused him all sorts of grief especially when he found out how much the injectors cost and the labor to put it in. Injectors for the 6.5 are a tenth of the cost and just a little harder than changing spark plugs on a gas engine. Most cars you can't work on anymore, Hell, it's a PITA to change the oil in the wife's Toyota because you have to reset the computer.

I don't know about that. LB7 duramax injectors can be had for about $2100 for genuine BOSCH ones, GOOD 6.5L injectors run almost $600 last I checked. The 6.5L injectors are easier to change by a longshot, but I can do mine in about 6 1/2 hours.

I went thru the master RPO book for GM and found these 6.2 and 6.5 diesel engines:

L12 DI OHC Turbo ????????
L49 Non Turbo
L56 Turbo EGR
L57 Non Turbo HO
L65 Turbo HO
LL4 6.2 HD
LQM GMPT 170 hp
LQN GMPT 190 hp

There was a 120 hp "fuel miser" version for P series delivery trucks but I can't find a specific RPO for it. I do not know what GMPT means--GM P Truck maybe. I also understand that HP varied by year and application and, unlike Duramax, there were few RPO codes that indicated HP.

Back