• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine revs right up then immediately stalls

nobby

Old Timey Diesel Guy
Reaction score
So my truck last night whilst driving revved right up then stalled. Kind of alarming as she dropped down a gear and charged towards the car in front!:eek: Try to start it and it revs up then stalls. I found one other case on this where the PMD was changed with no result which was prophesised to be a bad IP, broken Fuel solenoid armature there was no feedback result.

Called my pump rebuild shop described my symptoms and his response immediately and rather emphatically was bad IP due to the FS armature and not to waste my time changing out PMD's or troubleshooting etc.

Lift Pump checks out OK,
Do have a code P1216 which is Fuel Solenoid response time to short, the only relevant check in the diagnostic is to check the closure ground circuit for and open, this goes between the PCM and the PMD wiring visually looks OK.

Hmm not liking the sounds of this, I'll throw a new Dipaco on it for shits and giggles but my gut is telling me otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Nobby

I think I may have a spare PMD I could loan you but it sounds like armature to me. You could try diesel injection service in Huntington. I used Jay in the past. Also there is a gy down in Deer Park(or atleast was) but his name escapes me. Think it was on Commack rd. If your not in a hurry Pensecola has pretty good deal on them.

Hey Kenny,
Thanks for that, but thankfully I do have a new Dipaco in stock so I am OK there although I doubt it will make any change.

I usually use Precision Diesel in West Babylon for my business which is who I called, said they are rebuilding a couple of pumps right now and should be ready by Tues at the latest. Never tried Diesel Injection Service do they do all their work in house?

Cheers
Nobby

Well sometimes the old gut can be a wee bit off so it seems. Installed new PMD and she fired right up.

Seems then that my PMD failure was instantaneous and prior to this she hadn't missed a beat and a wintertime failure to boot engine was not even really warmed up. Makes me wonder with regards to potting and screws etc if cold contractual forces play a role in this also

Now there's a way to get you to finally install that remote mount that you have had stored under the drivers seat for the last 2 years.

Thanks for the info Kenny, I'll give him a call next time I have work. I have never been to impressed with Precisions pricing (over a 1000 for a rebuilt 5521) though I've had no issues with their work.

Cheers
Nobby

1000$ for a DS4 is a ripoff. You can get a DS4 from Pensacola for about 450$ IIRC W/O PMD. NO core either IIRC. 1000$ Damn for a few hundred more you could buy a brand new one.

I got one for 300$ from PDI with 3 months warranty on it. I am surprised I still have it actually. If you need it, I got it.

Back