• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Paint

What is DEI?
Sorry, I should have been more descriptive, but I was eating lunch and poking the letters on my phone with ine finger. The name of the company is called Design Engineering. They make a lot of products, but mostly thermal management.

Here is the wrap:
Design Engineering 010122 Pipe Wrap And Locking Ties Kit 2 in. x 25 ft. Tan Pipe Wrap And Locking Ties Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B82X9NY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5julCb3VP22VF

Here is the silicone spray. I have used it both with the wrap and by itself with good results.

Design Engineering 010302 High-Temperature Silicone Coating Spray - Aluminum https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MY1RB0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QnulCb0XJAQXD

Here’s my downpipe adapter after 4 years of daily driving and a few (cough) exposures to 1300 degree EGT exposures....of course that temp is pre-turbo, but still.

354E406B-ED3A-40F7-A70C-C7D9F13C28C0.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a thought- duck and cover!!

The turbo blankets work well and are not hard to install.
Wrap is a pita to install, then needs paint. so why not use blankets on the pipe?

When I worked at the plastics to fuel outfit, we bought precut blanket wraps for piping. For mega insulation there was a 2part covering material that went on like split pipe insulation or "pool noodles". It was about an inch thick and couldn't handle vibration well, but we put blanket material over it. The blankets were like long skinny rectangles that had grommets in it for closing and securing. they handled ridiculous heat, like 2500f iirc. and those pipe blankets reminded me of turbo blanket material.

I will try looking up the outfit's info tonight and see what I can find. no clue why I never thought of it before :banghead:

I actually thought of this the other day. I had to get our insulators to insulate the exhaust on the generator that we put in at the hotel. They insulated the 6” sch. 40 pipe from the turbo back with what your talking about and they do make the stuff as small as we would need. You can get different thicknesses of it. I’ll try to remember to get pictures tomorrow so folks can understand what we are talking about.

You guy's are awesome. All sorts of info if you just ask. After reading the most recent posts, how about spray on ceramic coating 1st, then wrap, then spray wrap? Overkill or benefit?

IMHO wrapping the crossover just makes it rot out quicker moisture gets trapped and then does its dirty work. As to custom made thermal blankets that tie up with wire or springs and hoops they're standard in the marine industry. Old fashioned way was to use either a high temp mineral blanket or rope to wrap item and then cover with what was called wet wrap a high temp cloth impregnated with a plaster powder which you'd wet in a bucket of water so it stuck to itself, to finish you'd hand stitch the seams and then paint. Trouble is to future maintain the exhaust pipe that you were covering you'd have to cut it off and then redo it all again. Hence the new style serviceable thermal blankets you send them your dimensions pictures etc and they make it. Examples can be found here:
https://www.wcinsulation.com/insulation/removeable
http://www.atpwrap.com/html/uscg87.html

Second example does vehicle products.

Cheers
Nobby

Finished assembling my harbor fraud engine hoist and welding on some extra brackets and a cutting LONG snout for my engine removal. Then went looking for the the info for those blankets- I can’t find my literature on it- hope I didn’t chuck it or leave it behind when I parted ways with that outfit.

They were similar to what Nobby showed on the second link, but no seams down the sides. Install and removal was just lay it on top, bend around and put in cable tie on each end temporarily. Then stainless saftey wire tied the 2 matching grommet holes together every so many inches, which varied based on what you want. Then cut the plastic ties at wnds and use wire there also. The grommets were made small special for safety wire, so no lost space. To remove you just cut the safety wire. I could probably install an entire pickup worth in 40 minutes, and remove in half the time.

It was super easy to work with, we had to remove and install is frequently for reconfigurations and testing. We didn’t relly use much small stuff like 4” and under. Maybe only had 30-40’ of that. Most of it was 6”-24” pipe.

I left voicemail & texted one other guy that I worked with there, hoping he replies soon. He works offshore oilrigs now so. Even if he gets the message, he was mad at me for not going to work out there with him, so who knows...

There's more than one flavour of doing it out there. The first link for West Coast makes as you describe without the seams the only difference being that the use a hook on the outside to lace the wire around rather than the grommet which makes them quick and easy to install. The downside to the hooks though is stuff catches on them and like a hose clamp in close quarters can cut your hands.

The blanket in the second link is a more expensive better unit and is even easier to install as they have a spring and eyelet to go over the hook at each point instead of lacing security wire.

The thing I like about that compared to normal wrap is a person could remove it, inspect for moisture damage- paint with high heat paint if needed- then reinstall it. All easily in a one day event.

Something to mention for folks not familiar with any high heat coverings- some are rated as hydrophobic to fight the moisture corrosion problem. And while it does work amazingly, The hydrophobic materials starts to break down at 400f regardless of over all ratings. Depending how much moisture and how hot it gets, is how long that area will stop corrosion.

In the industrial settings like refineries, the inside and outside of the pipes get coated with the exact stuff Chris uses, then it gets the wrap.

Unwrapping normal header wrap to inspect and donto maintenance touch up? Not gonna happen to often.

Wrap is a pita to install, then needs paint. so why not use blankets on the pipe?

X-2.

I am on the hunt for a solution that Dodge is using: inconel. I chatted with the owner of Advanced Thermal Products (atpwrap.com) that nobby mentioned and he only had Dodge (and marine) solutions. Am currently trying to reach-out again for another project to source the inconel material and see about consulting on how to build a blanket for the manifolds and up / down pipes on my own. Would have done inconel blankets in the Burb, but it was too late in its project cycle as fabrication was best done when the motor was out and I learned about Advanced Thermal Products after it went back in.

What got my attention for Advance Thermal Product's blanket was the sound mitigation. Heat control was a nice bonus :)

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive, but I was eating lunch and poking the letters on my phone with ine finger.

Glad that it was during lunch and not during a potty break :D

Took me a while to find this thread cause I couldn’t remember the name of it.
I took some pictures of the sock wrap and the blankets with the grommets in it and the insulation that you probably wouldn’t want to put on a vehicle but it sure does work for generator exhaust.

The first picture is like a sock. It just slides over and it’s pretty tight.

F65B4887-E980-4B0B-BADD-DA49A45FD0A1.jpeg
DAAE723A-E909-4FF6-B9F1-052DB3095BEE.jpeg

Here’s the blanket with the grommets. You could get a blanket with different material so it could handle the outside environment better. 34EE6495-FBAA-4314-9EBD-5A18EF7556C0.jpeg61330591-CCEA-4873-8B73-36DF18D5F859.jpeg

Insulation that you probably wouldn’t want to put on your vehicles exhaust but it would definitely hold the heat in if you did. It’s a wrap kinda like a painters drop cloth with a coating on it that dries hard as a rock.

45564AAF-1F4C-43F4-9641-7694C1E1F222.jpeg

Back