• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Noise 1993 6.5 Turbo...

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
while just getting it on the road after sitting 4 years, it has had a hard problem when cold.
also have a noise from the engine. sounds like lifter or injector. i have a good full set of injectors on hand if it turns out to be the problem. here's a vid. much louder in person:
wondering if the 2 can be related. not sure of the glow plugs condition so that might or might not be a part of the hard start problem.

Crack injector lines one at a time to find the cylinder, then swap that injector with one from another cylinder to see if it follows the injector.

1 Crappy injector is worse than 2 bad glows

is that what it sounds like to you? not a lifter? hope it's not a lifter. i will swap with a known good injector instead of the old ones. i pop tested and checked patterns so i know they're good. i had thought about that earlier but it slipped my mind...... guess i'm getting old. i will try that tomorrow. hopefully it stops raining which it's doing right now.
thanks for the response.

Pop the top off the injection pump. If it looks like the fuel tank did replace it and all 8 injectors. Clean injector lines in gasoline to kill any remaining bugs. Spike fuel with small amount of gasoline before swapping the pump and IP also works. Toss fuel before New pump sees it.

Ran this biodiesel bug ruined pump till it would not hot start anymore and tossed injectors that ate the stuff coming out of this pump as well. 93_IP_ate_by_biodiesel_bugs.jpg

already replaced IP. the old one looked good inside but replaced it with one i turned up the fuel and increased case pressure on.
replaced all injectors today. sounds better but have not put it on the road yet.
i've already installed a new tank in the bed, ran all new lines(feed and return), and added biocide.
i will look at the GP's when i get a chance this Sun.
i have these in my cart on Amazon:
Bosch 80034/0250202126 Duraterm Glow Plug

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back