• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Bay Lighting

Paveltolz

Доверяй, но проверяй
Reaction score
Its been a while since I've done anything fun to/for the truck. Spent the last several months chasing other issues like front differential (written up), CV half shafts (see diff thread), tunes (just some lab rat stuff for Bill), Air Dog LP shutting down (dying relay) and some mosquito killer issues. Anyway, I had some LED lighting strips left over from the bed rail project last summer so I decided to light up the engine bay. Why not?

I cleaned up the cross members under the hood, the underside of the leading edge of the hood and the fire wall above where the FFM used to be.

Wiring was tricky what with seven different light bars but Waytech sells many options. Initially I tried an 'easier' way but... So, I chose a splice bar with ten positions and jumped five each positive and negative to get the hood lights taken care of. The short bar on the fire wall I spliced in to the power leads. The whole thing is on its own switch with power coming from a "T" splice in the under hood lamp.

Here's the mess all connected up. Each connection and splice was done with heat shrink connectors and I put a fair helping of NoA Lox on each of the splice bar connections before tightening everything up.
IMG_3799s.jpg

I secured the splice block and wires to the hood using adhesive mounts for zip-ties to pass through.
IMG_3800s.jpg

I placed a heavy bead of silicon over the splice bar to keep water out and let it set up a bit before putting the hood liner back in place. I didn't get a shot of the silicon mess but you've all seen one before.
Lights on.
IMG_3802s.jpg

The final effect is quite pleasing.
IMG_3803s.jpg

Awesome idea. I wonder how the LED's will do life-wise in the heat under the hood?

Trying to outdo the Vegas strip for your next drive through?

Looks good. Do yo get a glow through the hood at night from the venting you did?

Awesome idea. I wonder how the LED's will do life-wise in the heat under the hood?
I was wondering the same thing myself and I certainly hope not. I'm driving it a lot over the next month and while we aren't Vegas or Phoenix hot up here, by the end of August I'll know. My initial concern is for the adhesive that comes on the light strips and if it will stay in that heat. Good thing I check fluids at each fuel stop. I'll post up either way.

Trying to outdo the Vegas strip for your next drive through?
Not without a better job, bigger budget, a lot more lights and a small nuclear reactor in the bed to power the show.:bling:

Do yo get a glow through the hood at night from the venting you did?
Not sure as I haven't tried it with the hood the down. I'm sure the light would reflect back in my eyes through the vents. The LED strips are on the driver side of the "\_/" shape the cross braces form. I'll have to check it out and post more pictures... "It's what Mikey likes.":hihi:

But Wait, There's More....

Here's some pictures of the other projects alluded to that completed last year...I should have named the thread, "Fun with LEDs"

Bed Rail Lighting. I thank/blame SSForce as he showed me his completed project so I did the same thing. Key to success is getting all the dirt and gack out from under the rails and prep with acetone or lacquer thinner before applying the LED strips. I tapped into the Cargo Light circuit for the power.
IMG_1989s.jpg

IMG_1990s.jpg

IMG_1991s.jpg

Amber Turn / Hazard lighting along the rocker panels. Again, prep is key but as these are a different led, I ended up using clear silicon instead of relying on the adhesive they were manufacture with. Blue painters tape held them in place for 24 hours to ensure gravity didn't pull them off. I tied in to the front side marker blinker circuit to power them.

They only light up with either the signals or hazard lights. When not in used, practically invisible.
IMG_1982s.jpg

IMG_1985s.jpg

At night, on the freeway when these things light up, folks move out of the way as they sense one means business.
IMG_1988s.jpg

Quick Follow up to the question:

Do yo get a glow through the hood at night from the venting you did?

Yes. If the windshield is buggy on the outside or vinyl oxidizing coated on the inside, the effect is quite awful.
IMG_3807s.jpg

Here's some more but not so awful pictures from this morning.

IMG_3808s.jpg

IMG_3806s.jpg

IMG_3809s.jpg

Yeah that would be rough on the eyes from the drivers seat lights on, but it looks cool from the front. It's like you have a Liquid-light-pulse-hybrid-synergy-flux-capacitor under the hood.. or something...

:hihi:

Hey Paul,

What LED lights are you using? Or where are you purchasing them from?

Have you put any on the rear of the truck by the tow hitch for connecting trailers in the dark? Or do you just hit the switch for the HID reverse light?

Wish I could make it to Utah to help with the truck repairs and go shooting with you.

Thanks

Colby

Thats a bright idea :aureola:

I have some LED strips that would be perfect for that.

Updates on lighting.
Having burned up/melted down that last set of Tail Lights assemblies leaving them on too long at Colby's I have removed the HID reverse lamps from the truck until I can reconfigure them for some rear facing fog lamps. More room for the heat to dissipate and less expensive than the Tail Light assemblies.

Underhood LEDs. It was mentioned that it would be interesting to see if they stay up there over the engine in all the heat from the motor combined with summer temperatures. I'm pleased to report that they have stayed in place without the need for additional adhesives other than what came with the lighting strips.

The lights on the hood's "X" and on the firewall were sourced through "Super Bright LEDs dot com" here's the link. I don't believe we have a supporting vendor with these products. superbrightleds.com

While redoing things on the truck, I'm going to lose the terminal bar and use a cleaner means of getting everything connected.

Funny instance a few nights ago while the truck was still drivable. I pulled into O'Reilly's and a guy was working on his truck and he had a couple of LED strips on the leading edge of the hood as I do but they weren't sticking very well. I said, "I like what you're trying to do with the LEDs. I got something similar myself." Whereupon I opened the hood and hit the switch. He just stared at the effect but didn't say anything. His wife started laughing and he gave her a withering glance. I offered to help with his current issues as I had tools but he declined. Oh well...can't please everyone I guess

Back