• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electical Power Drain - Truck Dead in the AM....

Chicago TDP

Recruit
Reaction score
OKAY, been a while since I posted on here.
I am currently (and have been for a while now) been having a power draw from inside the truck cab.
There seems to be a relay way up under the dash that is pulling 1 volt of power when the key is off.

What currently happens is the truck sits for two days and is almost dead.
I charge it up and runs fine for a day, week month, whatever.
Once it sits for two days, it will need a jump start.
I jumped it the other day, went and had the batteries checked.
Batteries showed that they were both half charged.

Well, I decided to start working on the ground wires.
Made 6 new ground wires.
The frame is connected to the cab, cab to engine, battery to cab, battery to frame, engine to battery.
Should not be any changing/starting issues.
This should be eliminated as a problem.

Next, I pulley the terminals off of the batteries.
I had a friend slowly connect the positive terminal and I was able to hear a solenoid click on under the dash.
It seems to be this solenoid/black box that is drawing 1 volt all the time.

Anyone know of the solenoid and/or had power draw issues?

Thanks

Adam

Adam, it has indeed been a while since you've been on. Have you tried pulling any of the fuses out of the fuseblock to see if that relay unlatches? Also, where is this mysterious "black box" located at under the dash?

How have you been otherwise? Still have the drag car?

Rich.

The box and teh click you describe sounds like the remote door lock module. It will click the interior lights on for about 45 seconds after reconnecting the battery. You need to hook up an amp meter to it with the ignition off draw fuse out and see if you still have a draw. Just go through your fuses one at a time until you find which circuit is drawing the power.

Check:
dome lights. Glove box light. Map light. Underhood light. Stuck on brake light switch and brake lights come on or stick on in the middle of the night. Horn switch gone bad and horn burned up - relay still pulling batt down.

Aftermarket stereo or alarm?

Think I might have a blown battery....will not hold a charge....AND, it is within warranty but now that Lee Auto Parts does not sell Exide anymore, they are not going to warranty the battery....assholes.....3 year warranty and I have had it 2 years....BS

So, I need to pull the battery out of my other car and try the truck out.

A load tester is a good investment. I've seen so many bad batteries in the last few years I start by load testing the batteries now. Doesn't take long and it eliminates a problem right off the gitgo.
I buy Autozone or Walmart batteries now. You do not have to worry about going back to the store of purchase - unlike Napa. If I'm out and about there's always one of those stores around

Back