• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGT Probe installed. What am I seeing here?

Sand

Reaction score
Just got a k type thermocouple installed on my 6.5TD Hummer . I put it right outside the no.8 cylinder on the exhaust manifold. I know they are usually further back near the turbo but I wanted top temps that the engine is making as a benchmark before I start playing with my performance.
Im using a PLX kit that changes the thermocouple signal to analog voltage. (3.33mv = 1 degree centigrade)
Im just reading the voltage on a panel meter at the moment before I get my guage in order but I have a top temperature reading. Its a long hard 1mil highway hillclimb that I always use for road tests and I kept my foot down hard all the way. It peaked at 787 Celsius or 1440 Farenheight. It was only there for 15 or 20 seconds and I never drive this way normally.
I hear of lower temps in the 1200 zone as quoted safe but I imagine this is in front of the turbo not 2 inches outside the chamber. Its a completely stock 1997 engine . Any thoughts to guide me on how good/bad hot I am for where the probe is?
Thanks
Sandy
You can see the probe on no.8 just in the center of the pic.

Attachments

• 20170327_125605.jpg
    20170327_125605.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 21
Your pulling from the hottest spot on the hottest cylinder so other than touching the exhaust valve itself you won't find a higher reading anywhere.

I would call that maybe 75-100 degrees hotter than if it were further downline where most people mount theirs. I would try to keep it down to the 1100-1150 range notmally so where you wte reading call it 1250 being a good place to back down after a short run.

Watch the egt and water temp and you can see as the egt climbs, the ect will follow. When you find the peak sustained temperature that does NOT cause a raise in ect, that is your safe spot.
Getting an innercooler or even better a water to air heat exchanger, and it will help a ton. So does wmi.

Do you have a body lift? Iirc 2" is all that is needed for the IC that most everyone is using- it keeps all the temps down -ait, egt, and because of those that helps ect stay down.

Of course a better turbo w/ 4" exhaust helps drop the temps also.

Intercooler is whats on the horizon. Good call. Thanks for the guidance Will. I dont intend to run like that but wanted to see some scale for things. Then when I calculated 1440 i felt a little sick for a minute. Then started the cascade of rationalization and justification. Then I calmed down and thought" Everyone runs at highway speed foot to the floor at times" it cant be that far out of bounds.- Not for sustained use of course.
My engine temps peaked at 203 which was good news again for the balanced flow pump and kennedy clutch!
No lift kit...im seeing what I can do for an intercooler first. I may have a dodge cumins diesel one for free. Long and narrow shape to them. Interesting.

Back