• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EFI live question

cajun4x42006

Reaction score
I'm looking at dropping the hammer on the EFI mild max by Idaho ROB. this will be the first programmer on my truck ever. what is the real world expectation and what numbers are yall getting on Fuel mileage

Last edited:
Your results will vary depending on how you drive, where you drive, load, etc, etc. The tune I load in for economy has yielded 21 or so in most every truck I've put it in if driven easy on the highway. This is actual mpg hand calculated, not dic lie o meter(those can be made to read 30 or higher, doesn't mean thats what you're actually getting). I'm sure Rob will have an 3con tune that does as well or better. One thing about true economy tunes though, they are a compromise tune. Max mpg tunes run reduced boost(near 0 at cruise), ans alot of timing, so expect the engines sound to change some as well as a reduction in throttle response from the reduced boost(you have to give a littlehere, to get it over there, so you lose some throttle response and power to get it back at the pump).

My truck runs and pulls great as it is now! I'm just wanting a lil more power and fuel economy when pulling my boats and ATV's plus I want to correct for the larger tires. I don't do any racing so I'm not to hard on the throttle (well not all ways)

You might want to also consider getting a tuned ecm and just swapping them out. It's a cheaper option for those who don't plan on doing much down the road. I pulled up your sig, and would reccomend getting a tuner to block out your egr codes and do away with the finger stick. Most any tuner can do what you're after. Even a stock lbz tune is a noticeable increase over an 06 lly tune.

I have a new in box EFI live tune from Idaho Rob. It doesn't have an all out tune, has modified stock with turbo brake, heavy tow, light tow, econ, and DD (90hp)

I'd sell it half price since I blew my engine before got it installed.

Also have an egr plate, PCV reroute, and fuel rail shims I can throw in

I have a new in box EFI live tune from Idaho Rob. It doesn't have an all out tune, has modified stock with turbo brake, heavy tow, light tow, econ, and DD (90hp)

I'd sell it half price since I blew my engine before got it installed.

Also have an egr plate, PCV reroute, and fuel rail shims I can throw in
You do know those tunes are VIN specific right? They are written per the VIN of the truck to match it's installed options. And depending on what you have, it may ONLY load to the VIN of the truck you ordered it for. EFILIVE is NOT like a canned tuner.

Was it an autocal? If so it can have more licenses added to it and other tunes, but the tune on it is locked to the truck it was made for basically. If it was never actually licensed, then the vin license is still on it, so you would just have to get a tune for the other truck. It might load on, but if it did, theres a good chance of having tune related issues as the tunes are custom taylored to the trucks they're made for. I would call them and tell them what happened to see what they can do. If it is an autocal, I'm not really up to date on them as I don't do them since I don't sell my tunes for mail order.

I just saw a V2 for sale for $650.00 with one ECM/TCM license left, that's what I did and never looked back. I have moved the speedometer calibration a bit and that's about it with Fermans tune going on almost 3 years...

Last edited:
If someboy buys a V2, I'll gladly help out with tuning. Just keep in mind I do this as a hobby, squeeze it in at night after my kids go to bed, I don't do smoke tunes, and I haven't messed with an LML(and really don't have any desire to either).

Why? Totally new learning curve or?
Totally new learning curve, those who have learned it do not feel like sharing due to the amount of time it takes figuring out what does what in them, there are reports of SEVERAL tables being mislabled, tables not doing what they say they should, or having to modify 3 or more tables just to get 1 table to work, it has been proven what works for 1 truck won't always work on another(each one is unique basically, so plan on having to troubleshoot EVERY one you tune to make the tune work), the US restrictions(which can be worked around easily enough) and not to mention how tight the EPA and even local enforcement is cracking down. Theres more and more reports of people getting pulled over, being ticketed for having deleted trucks, and being mandated to go to the nearest dealer to have them repaired(court ordered basically, cannot do it yourself). Theres just to much hassle going on with the new trucks for me to mess with them. I started to, but after thinking it over, it just isn't worth it for the aggravation. If I win the lottery and buy a new truck, then I'll learn, but until then, I think I'll pass.

Yes it looks like handheld tuner but has EFI Live tunes in it. Basically saves the need for a laptop while loading tunes but has another cord that hook to your laptop for data gathering.
I am not familiar with auto cal. Is it the EFI live tuner?

The autocal was efilives answer to boxxed tuners. It has limited functions compared to a V2, but the main limitation is that it must be licensed to a V2 unit to accept tunes. The autocal unit essentially was just a lower cost option for people wanting custom tunes from a tuner instead of doing there own. It will work on I believe up to 8 different vehicles, but I don't remember if you can have tunes on it from multiple tuners or not, but it can only accept tunes from the tuner that it is licensed to at that time. It is possible to unlock it now and have it license to another tuner. The V2 has all the features and abilities of the autocal, plus ALOT more. I don't remember the last time I brought my laptop out to put a tune in mine.

Last edited:
Straight from efilive about the autocal. Essentially it allows you to get custom tunes from a tuner, data log to send back to the tuner for fine tuning, but thats about it. Compared to the regular V2 flashscan device, it doesn't do a whole lot, and doesn't allow for tune viewing/editing.

https://www.efilive.com/product-info-autocal

EFILive's AutoCal device is intended to provide a convenient platform for professional tuners to distribute custom tunes to their customers. And for their customers to collect and submit logged data back to the tuner for analysis. It allows the tuner to update and optimize the original tune without shipping and/or removing controllers from customers' vehicles. To program an AutoCal device for an end user, the Tuner must first program the AutoCal using their FlashScan V2 device.

Where FlashScan V2 offers end users the ability to create, view, and modify tunes, with AutoCal ONLY the FlashScan V2 programmed to the AutoCal device has that access. The end user gains access to the tune, and the ability to data log/read clear codes, but the Tuner retains software permissions. AutoCal devices cannot be shared by an end user between multiple FlashScan devices, only the device that first programmed the AutoCal has software rights to that device.

Back