• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ECM CONTROLLED BOOST, HOW MANY POUNDS DO YOU GET ?

I went and posted in the wrong thread, so i did a copy and a paste over to this thread, a sort of a double post situation. LOL
Finally, I got BOOOOOST ! ! ! !
Now, when getting on the diesel pedal good and hard, the truck jumps and so does the boost gauge, almost to 13 pounds, then settled to about 9 pounds.
When pulling a fairly steep hill at about 70, there was just a little bit of black smoke, the the TCC disengaged and the smoke went away. It was pushing close to ten pounds of boost.
Before boost, there was a huge cloud of black smoke emitting from the tail pipe.
Now I`m curious as to what the fuel mileage is going to be.

Do you know for sure that you don’t have a retuned pcm. The reason I ask is cause you have that much boost and still see a little black smoke. Seems to me like you might have a tune from the P.O. of the truck and it’s pushing more fuel than stock would.

Do you know for sure that you don’t have a retuned pcm. The reason I ask is cause you have that much boost and still see a little black smoke. Seems to me like you might have a tune from the P.O. of the truck and it’s pushing more fuel than stock would.
The guy I got the truck from knew little of its history, the previous owner had passed on to the grave and He had bought it from His estate.
I suppose if I knew what I was looking at I could hook it to that OTC scanner and see what is in there. My knowledge on such things is very limited.

Mine to. Don’t hold me to it but I think you can see the pcm if you take the glove box out. It should have a sticker on top that you can see without having to taking it out or unplug anything.

I will have to check it out.
Going to change oil and filter in it today so I`ll have it in the garage and I`ll take a look.
I figure with as much black smoke as this thing has made over the last 1500 miles, I had better get the contaminated oil out of it.

Last edited:
When pulling a fairly steep hill at about 70, there was just a little bit of black smoke, the the TCC disengaged and the smoke went away. It was pushing close to ten pounds of boost.

You sound like it's running the edge of lugging with the black smoke and shifts to clear it up. IMO may be normal esp. under high load. It's shifting, unlocking TCC, due to load and demand of course. Check airflow now. Plugged air filter, rag in intake, clogged "soot trap" (cat), collapsed internally crossover... You have a MAF on the 2000? Clean the sensor in it.

You sound like it's running the edge of lugging with the black smoke and shifts to clear it up. IMO may be normal esp. under high load. It's shifting, unlocking TCC, due to load and demand of course. Check airflow now. Plugged air filter, rag in intake, clogged "soot trap" (cat), collapsed internally crossover... You have a MAF on the 2000? Clean the sensor in it.
I thought it was the lug factor, the TCC disengaged and the smoke immediately cleared up, the smoke was very light. previously, it was throwing out a huge amount of black smoke.
Running a WIX paper filter and all intake connections are unobstructed.
No soot trap on this that I have been able to find, no cat convertor and no MAF, only a boost sensor.
I have been through the under hood quite thoroughly and have not discovered any wires laying loose that might have been plugged into a MAF. I too thought there should be one.

:p The cat plugs so often from our dirty IDI that it has a nickname of a soot trap...

Sounds like you are back to normal then with no further work needed.

:p The cat plugs so often from our dirty IDI that it has a nickname of a soot trap...

Sounds like you are back to normal then with no further work needed.
I sure hope so, it has been a long and slow process, to which the vacuum pump had failed during this process. That was the first thing I checked when the problems with the boost system first started and it was tripping the code P0236.
Then yesterday, after getting it all together, on the very first test drive, the nearly new boost control solenoid failed within the first mile. I had the original Delco solenoid so i installed that and all seems to be working real nice.
The failed solenoid showed boost over the first hill, then it went to 0 boost on the flat and down the other side. After turning around and coming back, pulling the long hill, 0 boost, I had some pretty bad thoughts about that new vac pump until I tested it. installed the original solenoid and now the truck is happy and so am I. LOL

I put in a new solenoid and went for a spin. Still no boost.....
I checked the plug to the solenoid and it has 13 + volts to it at Idle ( this should mean solenoid open and vacuum supplied to the wastegate diagram = wastegate closed and turbo active)
The solenoid checks out on the bench with 12v supplied to it. Back on the engine it leaks vacuum and is vibrating like the solenoid is being fired and released a few hundred times a minute.
What exactly should the operation of the solenoid be? Do I have the wrong one?
Sandy 20171025_170232.jpg

I put in a new solenoid and went for a spin. Still no boost.....
I checked the plug to the solenoid and it has 13 + volts to it at Idle ( this should mean solenoid open and vacuum supplied to the wastegate diagram = wastegate closed and turbo active)
The solenoid checks out on the bench with 12v supplied to it. Back on the engine it leaks vacuum and is vibrating like the solenoid is being fired and released a few hundred times a minute.
What exactly should the operation of the solenoid be? Do I have the wrong one?
Sandy
Yes, that is the correct solenoid. The solenoid will bleed varying amounts of vacuum to the atmosphere until vacuum is needed.
If full vacuum is supplied to the waste gate actuator, it will be under full boost constantly.
The ECM pulses the solenoid to give the enjun the proper boost at the various load levels.
With the vacuum hoses disconnected, hook a vacuum gauge to the orange tube coming from the vacuum pump.
Depending on Your elevation will depend on how much vacuum is being pulled.
Here at 2,200 feet above sea level, the new vacuum pump was pulling over 20" of vacuum.
Next step is to hook a vacuum pump to the waste gate actuator to be sure that the diaphram is not leaking and that it will hold vacuum, it should not leak off with vacuum applied.
Report back Your findings and We`ll go from there.

Very nice. I will do tomorrow. Reading that im leaning toward weak vacuum supply. Ill let you know.
Thanks

Very nice. I will do tomorrow. Reading that im leaning toward weak vacuum supply. Ill let you know.
Thanks
If you do not have a vacuum pump, might be able to rent/borrow one from one of the big box parts stores, Oriellys, autozone, etc.
The vacuum pump can also be used for a vacuum gauge too.

Like minded! I did that last thing. Nice 2psi at cruise. Pegged 10psi under full throttle when I backed off.

Like minded! I did that last thing. Nice 2psi at cruise. Pegged 10psi under full throttle when I backed off.
Could be then that the solenoid is not doing its job.
On Mine, only time I was getting any boost at all was when pulling a hill, it then would go to not over 3 pounds of boost. I cleaned the terminals that plugs into the solenoid and then could get almost two pounds of boos cruising on the flats. Still not over 3 pounds on the steepest hills, until I changed the vac pump.

My truck has had the vac pump deleted snd a manual wastegate added. Im working backwards putting the vac upwrated waste gate back on - and in full disclosure.....sorry...Im using an electric vacumme pump. Its only achieving 14hg of vac and it builds slowly. Im guessing its just not up to task.

Here is the specs for what the vacuum pump should be.
Regardless of if it is an electrical pump or the belt run pump, I would think that if the pump is not within specs, it probably will not operate the waste gate to full capacity.

Vacuum Pump Specifications
Application
Specification
Metric . English
Elevation
0 m (0 ft) (Sea Level) -70 kPa (minimum) *21 in (minimum)
1 524 m (5,000 ft) -60 kPa (minimum) 18 \w (minimum)
3 048 m (10,000 ft) -49 kPa (minimum) 14 in (minimum)
4 572 m (15,000 ft) -40 kPa (minimum) 12 in (minimum

Just jury rigged a 12v compressor with the intake side supplying vacumme to the wastegate system. Its a piston pump that makes high 20's hg.
Success! Turbo whistles. 1-3 psi at cruise and 10 at full throttle !
Thanks everyone. I'd still be messing with solenoids without your help.
Now - any suggestions on a descent electric vacumme pump. Mine was a little ford/dodge style one. Clearly not good eñough.

Back