• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eaton G80 Axle Shaft Removal?? How Do I??

handcannon

Reaction score
Like the title says, I need to pull the axle shafts from an Eaton G80.

I picked up a complete rear axle from an 03 Tahoe for parts. I need to remove the axles so I can pull the complete brake assembly from the housing. I took off the cover thinking all I had to do was pull the center pin to get the C clips off. I got surprised! I am not very experienced with differentials and ended up stumped on how to get to the C clips.

I spent some time searching and found out it is an Eaton G80. I watched several videos that explained how they work, but not how to remove the axles. Removing the center pin is easy. But once the center pin is out the center block does not come out the way I'm used to. The G80 centrifugal counterweight mechanism is in the way and apparently needs to be removed to allow removal of the center block.

Does anybody have detailed info for axle shaft removal from a G80?

Don

Edit: on re-reading my post I happened to wonder if all I had to do was push inward on the axle shafts when I had the center pin out. Hmmm!!! Maybe if I get home in time tomorrow (as in enough daylight) I'll give that a try.]

Thanks for confirming my guess bison! Last night, after starting the thread, I was playing things through my mind and started wondering about that. Sometimes the answer can be right in front of you and the blinders won't allow you to see the answer until you take a few steps backwards.

Don

Yes shafts push in to remove "C" clip I'm not sure if G80 is much different but here are some pictures from my No Slip locker install in a 14 bolt SF rear.

Attachments

• DCP01583.JPG
    DCP01583.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DCP01606.JPG
    DCP01606.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DCP01584.jpg
    DCP01584.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DCP01612.JPG
    DCP01612.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DCP01580.JPG
    DCP01580.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DCP01608.JPG
    DCP01608.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DCP01611.JPG
    DCP01611.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DCP01582.JPG
    DCP01582.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DCP01605.jpg
    DCP01605.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DCP01585.JPG
    DCP01585.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DCP01607.jpg
    DCP01607.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DCP01609.JPG
    DCP01609.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DCP01581.JPG
    DCP01581.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 19
Tim

Thanks for the pics! It has been ages since I have been into a differential. Like since around 1970.

The G80 is what I also have in my pickup in addition to the rear axle from the junk yard. The RPO codes list it as G80 and the videos I found online also name it the G80. It is very different from your No Slip locker. The G80 is built into the carrier housing, unlike the No Slip which can be put inside a normally open carrier housing. Later today I'll have to relocate those videos and get one of my kids to show me how to post a link to them. I don't know how much hype is involved but they say that the G80 is a GM only locker and supposedly superior to anything else.

Well, got to go. have to be in Salem by 8:00 AM. It's cold and icy out with snow AND freezing rain predicted for later today. FUN!!!

Don

Don't know about the superiority over others, maybe factory options from others in that it's a true locker. It's not bulletproof and can be destroyed if you're a serious off roader. Normal driving it should last forever.

Don't know about the superiority over others, maybe factory options from others in that it's a true locker. It's not bulletproof and can be destroyed if you're a serious off roader. Normal driving it should last forever.

Don't mean to digress from topic, my No-slip has been in since 2005 this truck, I ran a Lock rite in my C1500 gasser for 12 years it was much harsher in than the No-slip is any locer pushe dto it's limit will splode, instructions did have extra cautions about a auto locker front & rear if in a 4x4 and trying to drive on pavement, there are stronger lockers out there, this one for me needing a little extra traction on gumbo mud that happens after heavy rain on generally unimproved country roads to my hunting camp works well

Update, I got the axle out, using a flashlight to supply light. Pushed the axle in, rotated the C clip so it would be able to drop out. With all the mechanism in there in the way you can't get your hand or much of anything in there to pull the clip. Rotate the clip so it can drop out through the notch in the center of the carrier. Then rotate the carrier so the clip will drop when gravity takes over.

Tim and trouttrooper, you may be slightly off topic, but it's close enough for me. Your info and experiences are invaluable to me. Disc brake and E-brake parts off this axle will, hopefully, be going onto a Toyota FJ60 axle to go into my Toyota FJ40. From what I have just learned I've been wondering if a 14 bolt housing with the G80 would also work. What you guys have been talking about helps fill this empty head with pertinent info. I've been dreaming of an ARB for my FJ40 and probably will still go that way unless more info will convince me otherwise.

Don

Thanks Tim! Good read. When I get some time I'll read some of the links in there also. So far I still want an ARB in my Toy, when I get rich. But it is going to be nice to have good E-brakes when I can afford to get the brakes from the Tahoe on it.

Don

Back