• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramax EGR Blocker vs. EGR Disable vs. EGR Delete

HoytBows

Reaction score
Good read for anybody just getting into this stuff, from Kennedy. If somebody has a dumbed down version of how the EGR actually works that might help too.

Duramax EGR Blocker vs. EGR Disable vs. EGR Delete

Warning: Emissions tampering is unlawful on any motor vehicle used for on road purposes in the US.
This Tech Tip has been written in an attempt to educate and minimize time spent on the phone discussing something that shouldn’t be so complicated. If you are the type who likes to skip forward to the conclusion I’ll make my suggestion right here and now: EGR disable via Kennedy Programming

EGR Blocker
We offer the EGR Blocker packages as a cheap “band aid” approach to take care of these issues. That is not to say this is a bad option, it’s just the old way and requires a functioning EGR motor and position sensor in order to function properly. The Blocker package consists of 2 components. The Finger Stick (named after its creator Jon aka “Fingers”) and a stainless steel blocker plate to prevent flow of exhaust through the EGR cooler. Installation involves cutting and soldering of your engine’s wiring harness along with insertion of the blocker plate between the EGR cooler and the vehicle exhaust system. The EGR blockers have proven over time to be quite effective, but
we have seen plenty of the EGR motors fail requiring replacement or upgrade to programming to fix. This often makes this mod a pay me now or pay me later type of proposition.

EGR Disable
This is simplest and most permanently effective way of dealing with EGR related issues. The operation of the EGR is simply ceased within the ECM programming. With this mod even if the EGR motor or position sensor fails there are no resulting issues or codes set. It will never give you grief and there is no invasive wiring, blocking, or component removal. This is accomplished via ECM programming. Simply put, the system and diagnostics are disabled. Again this is for Off Road use only.

EGR Delete
This one has been growing in popularity as of late and is a key source of frustration on my part. People tend use the term EGR delete universally for any mod relating to the EGR. Then some unsuspecting “diesel newbie” hears this and goes out and orders an EGR delete kit not knowing what he/she is in for. EGR delete by my definition is complete removal of system components which is a highly invasive and unnecessary procedure. It also requires ECM programming to deal with the DTC’s associated with removal of the EGR motor. Essentially an EGR delete removes the EGR valve/motor assembly along with the EGR cooler etc. It requires serious plumbing changes to the exhaust and intake and in my opinion is only advisable for the hard core racer.

One point this does not cover is that LBZ's and newer will pop the EGR valve open once boost reaches roughly 20-22 PSI even if disabled. And LMM's can make a woofing sound at idle if you disable the EGR without either blocking it or removing it.

EGR reduces NOx. The EPA has a hard on to reduce NOx and particulate matter, PM, that shows up as reduced MPG and higher prices at the grocery/other stores from delivered goods. More EGR use creates more PM. PM is unburned wasted fuel that plugs your DPF that then takes even more fuel to burn out clean. It is the ultimate clusterF# where towing heavy doesn't burn the DPF clean as the PM entering it is so high from so much EGR use. This is why tighter standards have to use Urea for NOx control as PM gets out of control.

EGR use has an affect of slowing the burn. So your timing may become advanced by eliminating EGR. The free flowing exhaust has already reduced the EGR flow.

Just watching a LMM towing with no more than the DPF removed was interesting for the visible smoke. Blocking the EGR visibly cleaned this up. You can't see the increased NOx.

And NOx is worse with running B99. How Biodiesel ever got approved as an alternative fuel with it's increased NOx emissions by the EPA is a mystery.

Further information is both GM and Chrysler shot themselves in the foot by trying to introduce emissions earlier than the usual gun held to their heads by law. Some of these morons who did this early emissions beta testing on us do not work at the auto companies anymore. GOOD RIDDANCE! GM was early EGR (LLY) and the 6.7 nightmare was 3 years ahead being 2010 compliant in 2007. Too bad neither were ready for production. Worse the reduced MPG cost money. Reliability issues cost reputations. Yes the USA has tighter emissions standards than Europe. Yes, ULSD costs more. No, without tariffs we are not a rich country anymore that can afford to compete with 3rd world countries that don't have utopia EPA laws. There is a specific cost for emissions being at least 10% reduction in MPG for 2008 LMM trucks that comes out of the bottom line for businesses. Charge more or eat the cost vs. an older truck. When you have overseas mines etc. that don't have the 'new' DPF etc. emissions costs it is one more nail to close the place and fire everyone.

Other than with EFI Live, Is there someone that takes care of the EGR disabling by reprogramming the ECM? And if so, how much does it cost?

Other than with EFI Live, Is there someone that takes care of the EGR disabling by reprogramming the ECM? And if so, how much does it cost?
HPTUNERS can if you find somebody with software from before when they had to shut it off. It won't be much longer and those of us in the US will no longer be able to shut the EGR off with anything.

My DiabloSport Predator shows an option in the menu to disable the EGR, but I don't know if it stops the EGR from opening, or it just stops the ECM from throwing an EGR error code.

My DiabloSport Predator shows an option in the menu to disable the EGR, but I don't know if it stops the EGR from opening, or it just stops the ECM from throwing an EGR error code.

Really...? I guess I should pay closer attention to mine.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Biggest Pain in the Ass was Deleting Mine. Shoulda just left it Blocked.

I have a feeling all the problems I'm having now wouldn't have happened if I just left it Blocked.

I bought a Sinister Diesel eliminate kit from a guy but only because it was 1/2 the cost and in th event I have a failed EGR motor. Then I'll install it instead of a replacement motor.

Back